Duke4.net Forums: Joe Siegler as the voice of Duke Nukem - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Joe Siegler as the voice of Duke Nukem

Granted we really only have one performance, in fact, one line to judge the man by? "I'M... BACK!" What made them not just let Joe play the character in Duke 3D, given he had voiced him in the game before? I honestly never even knew it wasn't Jon St. John when I played Duke II as a kid. Maybe the fact Joe wasn't a professional voice artist & spent most of his time on a Black Sabbath fan website anyways? I'd love to hear other's thoughts about Siegler's one take on Duke & why St. John eventually got the gig. It's probably like a Brian Cox versus Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter thing. The first guy to do it wasn't "BAD" per se, but there's a reason his replacement is way more iconic as that character.

User is online   Ninety-Six 

At a guess, it was probably a combination of JSJ being a professional voice actor vs. some guy, and then the infamous George filter. He seemed to have a very specific idea of what Duke should be like, and what JSJ gave them is what he was looking for.

User is offline   ck3D 

Jon St. Jon touches on the history behind his role in this interview, although it doesn't necessarily explore the reasoning behind the change but yeah, we can easily imagine they wanted an actual voice actor for Duke 3D. Interesting how he wasn't aware of how popular the game had become up until into the 2000's:

(And then he goes on with a take on how modern Duke should be presented that I think would totally fail under every aspect, although he really isn't wrong about the potential of some modernization of the franchise per se, his specific idea would most likely destroy all the subtlety of the Duke universe - that he might not even be aware of. But that's totally cool since he's just the voice actor whose power over the general direction I'd assume is restricted to how deeply he feels like claiming BALLS OF STEEL that day.)

This post has been edited by ck3D: 15 June 2021 - 12:31 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

For Duke II, all he had to do is say "I'm back", and some screaming and grunting. They wanted a voice that mimicked Arnold Schwarzenegger's tone when delivering a similar line, and Joe Siegler's impression likely sounded the best out of others at the office so they used him to voice Duke, if he wasn't, it would've been someone else in from Apogee because hiring a professional voice actor for such few lines wouldn't have made sense. Joe could've possibly been who voiced Duke in DN3D before JSJ was hired, but it would've likely been very little more than one or two temp lines and some screams and grunts, none that would've been intended for use in the final game. They didn't even add the voice as it is in the final game until very close to release of the shareware from what I've read.

User is offline   LakiSoft 

Great Interview! I enjoyed watching it especially when JSJ said he could talk like Duke all day.

User is offline   Joe3DR 

• 3D Realms Staff

View PostTheMuseumCurator, on 14 June 2021 - 07:17 PM, said:

Granted we really only have one performance, in fact, one line to judge the man by? "I'M... BACK!" What made them not just let Joe play the character in Duke 3D, given he had voiced him in the game before? I honestly never even knew it wasn't Jon St. John when I played Duke II as a kid. Maybe the fact Joe wasn't a professional voice artist & spent most of his time on a Black Sabbath fan website anyways? I'd love to hear other's thoughts about Siegler's one take on Duke & why St. John eventually got the gig. It's probably like a Brian Cox versus Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter thing. The first guy to do it wasn't "BAD" per se, but there's a reason his replacement is way more iconic as that character.

There was some brief discussion of having me do it but once we realized how big a deal Duke’s voice was going to be in the game it requires pro voice talent. As a small time thing or a single sentence here and there I’m fine. But no way would Dike have. Even as successful if they went with me as Duke’s main voice in Duke3D.

I hold no regrets or any negative feelings. JSJ is glorious.

User is offline   Joe3DR 

• 3D Realms Staff

View PostDNSKILL420, on 15 June 2021 - 10:59 AM, said:

For Duke II, all he had to do is say "I'm back", and some screaming and grunting. They wanted a voice that mimicked Arnold Schwarzenegger's tone when delivering a similar line, and Joe Siegler's impression likely sounded the best out of others at the office so they used him to voice Duke, if he wasn't, it would've been someone else in from Apogee because hiring a professional voice actor for such few lines wouldn't have made sense. Joe could've possibly been who voiced Duke in DN3D before JSJ was hired, but it would've likely been very little more than one or two temp lines and some screams and grunts, none that would've been intended for use in the final game. They didn't even add the voice as it is in the final game until very close to release of the shareware from what I've read.

There was no competition. Todd asked me to it, I did it. They never had someone else try “I’m back” except me.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

View PostJoe3DR, on 05 June 2022 - 05:57 PM, said:

There was no competition. Todd asked me to it, I did it. They never had someone else try “I’m back” except me.

Glad to see you're here on Duke4, Joe. Thanks for clearing that up with your two posts here.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options