Duke4.net Forums: Alien Planet maps - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Planet maps

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Seeing as my last topic was more of a roaring success than I could have ever hoped for, let's give it another round.

This time I'm interested in documenting maps that depict planets other than Earth (or the moon I guess, even though that technically isn't a planet). I know I've mentioned a couple of times that I have a strong appreciation for extraterrestrial worlds in Build (usually in the context of exploring the alien homeworld, but I enjoy anything that tries to not be Earth almost as much). Mind that there is a difference between alien planets and alien ships. I'm not gonna rule out space maps entirely but there has to be something unique to them in that case.

Custom textures are free game here, as having the same stipulation as last time would probably cut out a large chunk of the map pool. To my knowledge there are sadly not that many maps or episodes that use this concept much.

I'll list the ones I know of and can recall off the top of my head:

-Alien Planet X64-2 and The Unknown Planet by Maarten van Oostrum. No list would be justified in itself to not have these.
-Dark Place 3 (and to a lesser extent, 4) by Tavio Maripuu
-Invaders by Leon
-Alien Sanctuary by Zaxtor
-Maia and Taygeta by Children & RayTracer
-CBP9 (specifically the alien planet "level") by MRCK/ck3D
-Taken 'Em Down (Episode 4 of "The Gate") by BDP Team. The entire episode takes place on the alien homeworld.

User is offline   Aleks 

Cool topic, also worth mentioning that Red Planet Blues episode of The Gate takes place on Mars, which technically is planet other than Earth or Moon :P

Some maps worth mentioning:
  • I have to replay WG Space episode, but IIRC some of the maps were technically based on some alien planet (e.g. level 3 on some moon-like thing?);
  • Devastator's Aquatic Hive seemed to be located on some alien planet;
  • Invasion of Aliran by Matt da Mann (who's quite active on Discord) is an early but well detailed map taking place on alien planet;
  • Boba Fett by Mike Beaulieu is definitely a classic;
  • Haven't played it myself, but The Blue Planet by Sewer Hrehorowicz was mentioned last time;

There's also a number of maps which take place on Mars. Also I'm not sure about Mikko's levels with futuristic city in space theme (MSSP 9 and one level of his Brave New World episode), but that might be moon.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Another cool topic!

- The Imperium episode - first 3 maps take place on some unidentified alien planet heavily inspired by Unreal. And the last 2 maps are a revisit to Alien Planet X64-2
-Speaking of which, Maarten made a sort-of sequel with The Unknown Planet.
-If we're including mods, then AMC TC has several maps taking place on different planets. Even X64-2 gets visited yet again haha.
-And of course the gladiator episode of Alien Armageddon takes place on the alien homeworld

I can't think of any user maps, aside from the ones already mentioned.

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 11 June 2021 - 07:25 AM

View PostAleks, on 11 June 2021 - 06:53 AM, said:

Cool topic, also worth mentioning that Red Planet Blues episode of The Gate takes place on Mars, which technically is planet other than Earth or Moon :P

I suppose that's true. I've actually played a lot of Mars-based maps, and a lot of them were Doom-inspired which is fair enough I suppose...

It's kinda funny that Duke mapping is on such a large scale that Mars seems mundane in comparison.

[list][*]I have to replay WG Space episode, but IIRC some of the maps were technically based on some alien planet (e.g. level 3 on some moon-like thing?);

Ice Moon, yeah. I've actually always been kinda confused as to where in the universe WGSpace took place, with it seeming to be just about everywhere. But yeah, Ice Moon. It's definitely an extraterrestrial body alright.

Also I'm not sure about Mikko's levels with futuristic city in space theme (MSSP 9 and one level of his Brave New World episode), but that might be moon.

Pretty sure both of those are on the moon. It's been a very long time since I played either but I believe that's the case. Especially since New L.A., which was a city on the moon from Last Reaction, was his chief inspiration for both.

View PostMerlijn, on 11 June 2021 - 07:23 AM, said:

-Speaking of which, Maarten made a sort-of sequel with The Unknown Planet.

Yep I listed that one alongside X64, just on the same line since they're basically two halves of a whole (even if not by story).

View PostMerlijn, on 11 June 2021 - 07:23 AM, said:

- The Imperium episode - first 3 maps take place on some unidentified alien planet heavily inspired by Unreal. And the last 2 maps are a revisit to Alien Planet X64-2
-If we're including mods, then AMC TC has several maps taking place on different planets. Even X64-2 gets visited yet again haha.
-And of course the gladiator episode of Alien Armageddon takes place on the alien homeworld

I hadn't played these yet. Imperium I've always wanted to but the HRP/DukePlus requirement kinda forced me to wait until I decent enough hardware to run it. I might be able to now, depending on the map sizes (and if eduke stops randomly hanging on me in polymost three seconds in).

AMC is still on my to-do list, as is Space Gladiators. I'll probably do the latter first, after I complete Demon Throne, and then probably AMC after spending years saying I was gonna do it.

User is offline   Šneček 

View PostNinety-Six, on 11 June 2021 - 06:12 AM, said:

Seeing as my last topic was more of a roaring success than I could have ever hoped for, let's give it another round.

This time I'm interested in documenting maps that depict planets other than Earth (or the moon I guess, even though that technically isn't a planet). I know I've mentioned a couple of times that I have a strong appreciation for extraterrestrial worlds in Build (usually in the context of exploring the alien homeworld, but I enjoy anything that tries to not be Earth almost as much). Mind that there is a difference between alien planets and alien ships. I'm not gonna rule out space maps entirely but there has to be something unique to them in that case.

Custom textures are free game here, as having the same stipulation as last time would probably cut out a large chunk of the map pool. To my knowledge there are sadly not that many maps or episodes that use this concept much.

I'll list the ones I know of and can recall off the top of my head:

-Alien Planet X64-2 and The Unknown Planet by Maarten van Oostrum. No list would be justified in itself to not have these.
-Dark Place 3 (and to a lesser extent, 4) by Tavio Maripuu
-Invaders by Leon
-Alien Sanctuary by Zaxtor
-Maia and Taygeta by Children & RayTracer
-CBP9 (specifically the alien planet "level") by MRCK/ck3D
-Taken 'Em Down (Episode 4 of "The Gate") by BDP Team. The entire episode takes place on the alien homeworld.

From the old levels from the 90's I know the maps Phleebhut by Sven Schwarz and FPLANET. These are on this alien planet theme. I think at least Fleebhut had a slightly more interesting environment at the end of the level. Both maps were included in Duke Assault collection, but can also be downloaded from separate links here:

maxcarnage.duke4.net/duke3d/reviews/fplanet.html

maxcarnage.duke4.net/duke3d/reviews/fleebhut.html

This post has been edited by Šneček: 11 June 2021 - 08:39 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Yep I listed that one alongside X64, just on the same line since they're basically two halves of a whole (even if not by story).

Ah my bad, I somehow missed it :D

I hadn't played these yet. Imperium I've always wanted to but the HRP/DukePlus requirement kinda forced me to wait until I decent enough hardware to run it. I might be able to now, depending on the map sizes (and if eduke stops randomly hanging on me in polymost three seconds in).

The HRP isn't a requirement, just Dukeplus and Polymost. There's a couple of 3D models but they also work without HRP.

Here's one I forgot.

Red Sun by Vanx. This one was brought up in the last thread, but I do think it falls under my "unique space map" exception. A space station that looks like no other from the game, in front of a very creatively applied red-paletted Earth to look, indeed, like a station orbiting a red giant.

That rule is mostly to weed out maps that repeat the themes we already saw in Fusion Station and Overlord, anyway. Not that that's a bad style or anything, I love it actually, but the cohesiveness of the alien texture set can also be its drawback at times, since an alien space station tends to look like any other.

So if you guys wanted a better definition for "unique", there you go. It just has to break away from the typical EDF or alien space bases seen in Lunar Apocalypse (completely acceptable if those normal locations are physically on a different planet, though).

User is offline   Mark 

DOOM2remake map.

I wasn't going to mention this map because its unfinished and it requires DukePlus, HRP and Polymer. But when I took another quick run thru, it looked even cooler than I remembered. Unfortunately there is a door that isn't opening so the last 1/3 of the map is unreachable unless you noclip. No idea how that happened.

https://forums.duke4...post__p__287033

The last thrid of my own Alien Abductee takes place on the alien homeworld. The rest of it takes place on a space ship, though, so I'm not sure it counts. Also I've no idea if it still works in current EDuke builds.

View PostHigh Treason, on 12 June 2021 - 01:47 PM, said:

The last thrid of my own Alien Abductee takes place on the alien homeworld. The rest of it takes place on a space ship, though, so I'm not sure it counts. Also I've no idea if it still works in current EDuke builds.

Invaders started on a space ship and had you play a bit on there before going to the planet. It's fine.

Alien planet maps are too rare to be as strict with the criteria as the last thread.

User is offline   Šneček 

Found another older cool-looking map, set in the environment of Mars, called "Mars 1 "Duke Nukem on Mars!" " by Dale Clowers.
Download link: http://maxcarnage.du...ews/mars_1.html

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (246).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (248).png

User is offline   Šneček 

E2L1: Planet Hoth from Xtreme TC

It would appear that a chunk of the "Water Bases" episode from the namesake TC takes place in the eponymous structures beneath an alien sea.

User is online   ck3D 

Somehow it seems almost too easy to forget about 1_bitch.map by GregR: https://www.arrovfnu.../1-bitch-greg-r compared to how rather unique the map really is.

Video by Redx113:

This post has been edited by ck3D: 22 June 2021 - 01:16 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options