Duke4.net Forums: 3DR logo/title pic palettes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3DR logo/title pic palettes

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It seems to be really hard to create 8-bit replacement images for the 3DR intro logo (#2492) and the title screen (#2493) which work when embedded into an .art file. I am aware that these use different palettes than other tiles. SLADE supports those for example, but even if I apply them, the max I can achieve is to extract the images properly. Reinsertion seems much more difficult. Even if you just resize the original image, colors already become wrong when loaded ingame. Any recommendations?

User is online   Phredreeke 

If you define it as hightile you will always get correct colors, at expense of compatibility with software renderer.

If you want compatibility with classic renderer, what I've attempted is convert the image to the actual palette for the tile in question, then without saving the file (as that risks messing up color indices which is really important for what you need to do next) apply the standard Duke3D palette while preserving color indices

One thing that I haven't tried but which may yield superior results would be to override the actual palette used. However if you do you'll have to replace all the graphics using that palette.

• The Truth is in here

Well, I guess in this case it would be almost easier to override the palette since these two tiles use their own palettes which are not used anywhere else. What would be the file to edit in this case? Palette.dat?

Silly idea: What if you swapped 3DREALMS.PAL and PALETTE.DAT (so rename 3DREALMS.PAL to PALETTE.DAT) whilst importing your title screen, then named them back to normal afterwards?

- Goes without saying, back things up, though I'm sure you have.

What ports do you intend to support?

For EDuke32 (and likely Rednukem as well) you could use this https://wiki.eduke32...asepalette_(DEF)

For Raze and DukeGDX I would just use hightiles.

• The Truth is in here

The idea would be to support as many ports as possible. Basically I managed to get everything into .art files except for the 3DR logo and the title screen.
Which editor is best for this? I am using GIMP.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 May 2021 - 07:09 AM

GIMP can remap colors. I'm copying this from a Discord conversation from last year, hopefully you can make sense of it

Image, Mode, Indexed
import the palettes you need
you need to load the base palette first
if you load the others it will just pick the closest color
after loading the base palette
go to Colors, Map, Set Colormap
and select the new palette there

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Image Analyzer has superior color index mapping to even paid programs like Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro.

NightFright, can you post the titlescreen or 3D Realms pic you want to use? or alternatively DM me if you want to keep it private.

It's probably easier for me to simply attempt what I'm thinking of rather than try to explain it.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHigh Treason, on 17 May 2021 - 06:01 AM, said:

Silly idea: What if you swapped 3DREALMS.PAL and PALETTE.DAT (so rename 3DREALMS.PAL to PALETTE.DAT) whilst importing your title screen, then named them back to normal afterwards?

- Goes without saying, back things up, though I'm sure you have.

If you are using tilefromtexture, that's the way to do it

• The Truth is in here

With "import", I assume you mean import into the .art file. And can this all be done with SLADE and BAFed or is it necessary to use more ancient group/art tools?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 May 2021 - 12:11 PM

• The Truth is in here

So, apparently Phredreeke got it working since his version of one of the replacement tiles I sent him works ingame. Maybe it would be a nice thing to list here exactly what you did, which tools and files were used etc. In most cases it won't have to be this complicated since the exotic palettes are really rare, but it's something that has always eluded me, so learning something new can never hurt.

1. Load correct palette
2. Load the default Duke3D palette while retaining color indices

It would be useful if tilefromtexture had the option to specify the palette it's to be imported with or alternatively to allow preserving color indices. The method I described will work for the title screen but it produces color errors with the 3D Realms logo

• The Truth is in here

I don't know why, but Raze can use an image in the regular palette for logo and title without problems. Maybe they used some workaround there.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options