Duke4.net Forums: Devolver Digital is contributing to Anita Sarkeesian's latest Feminist Frequency Fundraiser - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Devolver Digital is contributing to Anita Sarkeesian's latest Feminist Frequency Fundraiser

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostPhredreeke, on 17 May 2021 - 12:59 PM, said:

After the protests on January 6th, Nightfright said in the voxel thread maybe the hung jury is in bad taste (even though they have nothing to do with congress, as they appear in Pigsty's courtroom), Fox, well known on the forum for his hard-right stances, responded with a shrugging gif. Borion said something like thanks for helping me make up my mind on whether to stay around here.

View Postjkas789, on 17 May 2021 - 02:36 PM, said:

In regards to what Fox specifically said, it was as I posted before, this:

Attachment Screenshot_1.jpg

Which if I may be honest, is a nothing burger. As a foreigner with no dog in the stupid race that was the 2020 USA election the only thing going through my head was "Yeah, make sense. Different map." . Borion is free to do whatever he wants though, free will and all that jazz.

Wait, what?

Can someone explain what is going on

User is offline   Aleks 

I think Fox's post was more of an excuse for Borion to really leave - this post here might be more relevant.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostFox, on 17 May 2021 - 03:27 PM, said:

Wait, what?

Can someone explain what is going on

Lol.

TLDR: Borion was interacting in a lot of forum threads at the time of the capitol riots thing and before, prob Outhouse shit as well IDK. Nightfright concern posts about the hanged jury voxels in the Duke Nukem Voxel Pack and says they may be in bad taste (for whatever reason, a jury does not have to have politicians). You (Fox for everyone following the TLDR) points out that it does not appear on the capitol map and post blackwomanwhatever.jpg. Borion ragequits for reasons.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 17 May 2021 - 03:52 PM

View PostAleks, on 17 May 2021 - 03:49 PM, said:

I think Fox's post was more of an excuse for Borion to really leave - this post here might be more relevant.

Huh. Well that was a weird ass thread. Also:

Attached Image: Screenshot_4.jpg

To be honest as a doctor I can say that I wish everyone used masks, however I understand that some people can't use them. I actually agree with a lot of what Ninety-Six and Forge said at the start. And I also agree with some of the things that Hendricks and gemeaux said. Nuance!

I don't understand why wearing a fucking mask got turned into a fucking political issue anyways. Well I have rambled about this in the Outhouse before so...

The one that seems to be pushing the bar in this thread is gemeaux333 of all people, he just will not let the topic go.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 17 May 2021 - 04:09 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postjkas789, on 17 May 2021 - 04:04 PM, said:

I don't understand why wearing a fucking mask got turned into a fucking political issue anyways.

Because Real Americans™️ believe in freedom. We shot at Redcoats for much less than what the US Gov, under Trump and Biden alike, has done in response to COVID. I've never been opposed to other people wearing masks, only myself.

All of America's problems can be "circled back" to people who want to be left alone being constantly nagged by people who want to run everyone else's lives. I don't care about your dumb fucking meme cold, stay out of my life.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 17 May 2021 - 08:36 PM

┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌

As a doctor in the frontlines I have already posted my thoughts in the The Coronavirus a/k/a COVID-19 corner thread (not the Outhouse, for whatever reason I keep thinking the Covid thread is in the outhouse), page 14 post 395.

And I was right.
Spoiler

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Or the government could just fuck off, COVID was and still is a nothingburger.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 18 May 2021 - 09:58 AM

User is offline   ReaperAA 

You know, I don't blame that Borion dude for leaving because I myself almost considered leaving this place at one point because of some of the comments in the COVID thread and the mask thread.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 18 May 2021 - 12:05 PM

View PostReaperAA, on 18 May 2021 - 11:49 AM, said:

You know, I don't blame that Borion dude for leaving because I myself almost considered leaving this place at one point because of some of the comments in the COVID thread and the mask thread.

I don't mind? As a doctor I have come to the conclusion that I can't force my patients to do anything they don't want to unless:

1.- I can take advantage of their situation and appeal to their families
2.- They are dying and fuck you I will do what i got to do
3.- death is the other option
4.- an large amount of money being spent is the other option

Not necessarily in that order.

People see the mask issue as something oh so surprising and retarded, but as someone who has had to wrangle with diabetic patient, patients with heart illneses, patients with obesity, fuck patients in general this is par for the course.

"How stupid are this people who don't wear masks right doctor?" says my diabetic obese patient who uses insulin as a crutch everytime he goes out of his diet and piggies out with soda and thrash food.

"How stupid are this people who don't wear masks right doctor?" says my patient whom I have just done a knee arthroplasty a moth ago and has gone back to heavy weight lifting.

The truth of the matter is that few like doing what they are told to and you have to either instill the fear of death on them or use force to make them do shit. People just like to feel better than others and are a bunch of fucking hypocrites, that and the current sociopolitical climate of the USA is why wearing a mask became a fucking symbol.

Common sense and intelligence are not common. People are stubborn (to the point of damaging their health), hypocrites, liars and don't like change. Water is wet and the sky is blue.

What else is new?

This post has been edited by jkas789: 18 May 2021 - 12:51 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjkas789, on 18 May 2021 - 12:47 PM, said:

People just like to feel better than others and are a bunch of fucking hypocrites, that and the current sociopolitical climate of the USA is why wearing a mask became a fucking symbol.

Your entire post is correct imo. One thing I'd like to point out is that in the current climate, moderates like me get lumped in with hardcore anti-maskers like Jimmy. I have been fully vaccinated for over six weeks now, and I have worn a mask in situations where it made sense to do so (indoors while in close-quarters with other humans or when in poorly venilated areas). Yet despite this, I am still lumped in with anti-maskers and anti-vaccers by idiots on the left because I point out that:

-The vast majority of mask mandates were not voted on by elected representatives and signed by executives. Instead, governors and elites just forced them on us without any democratic process under the color of "emergency powers". People who don't question that fucking deserve to live in a dictatorship.

-The mandates are one-size-fits-all and inflexible, and usually NOT based on science. For example, here in California they have (at various times in various counties) told us we have to wear masks outdoors, regardless of our distancing. This is stupid and not supported by the science at all (of course I ignore that order myself).

-The mask mandates, shutdowns and distancing are very harmful to children who are being stunted in their social development, receiving sub-standard schooling (moreso if they are poor and their families aren't good with tech), and all of this to protect other populations since the children themselves are very low risk. But the people behind these policies have no accountability and don't acknowledge the grievous harm they have caused to millions of innocent children.

-Beyond the masking, businesses were shut down without any cost benefit analysis. The people hurt the most were the poor "nonessential" people with hands-on jobs who could not realistically switch to zoom meetings. Other strategies such as quarantining vulnerable people were never even considered, they just destroyed the livehoods of millions of people. Note that many of the immigrants that they claim to care so much about get almost no benefit from all the "stimulus" money going out because you have to be documented to receive those.

I have had the misfortune of communicating with many lockdown zealots and these people will wear masks outdoors when no one is within 50 feet of them -- they are fucking cultists. In my experience they are willfully oblivious to the collosal damage they have caused and dumb as fuck and don't know the science, even as they sacrifice the livelihoods and mental health of millions of people on that altar.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I left a while ago, but came back out of boredom. Apparently you can attack just about whoever and whatever you want on here with impunity, so I suggest you do that instead of leaving. It's fun and makes for entertaining reading.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Discord is nice for small servers. Nightmare for huge ones. And even in small ones there's no keeping track of conversations. I don't like it. I have one Discord server with a few close friends that I frequent quite often but other than that I don't see any merit in my participation anywhere else. I have too much of an attention span for that I guess. I like organization.

Also, years ago I remember seeing this place buzzing with activity around the HRP and talking about games and maps and mods and movies. And all the sudden I saw a bunch of memes and political discussions and "s***posting" and they all said it was always this way. Yeah, no not to my recollection. Maybe it was just the colossal number of people who used to be here that there were so many discussions going on I didn't notice. I don't know. That said, the political discussions got interesting real fast around 2014. But pretty much everyone interesting to talk with has either been banned or left. I've always come back to this place years after leaving many other communities but I've been very seldom active lately because.....nothing is stimulating anymore. And Discord isn't the place for me as a replacement. I don't think it'll be very long until either I just stop returning or this place becomes a ghost town. And that's a shame as I've always held this place in high esteem. It was a heck of a good run, if this is over soon. It lasted longer than most through multiple tumultuous events that have killed other forum communities, be it social media overtaking communication, Gamergate, or whathaveyou. I've enjoyed my time here but I suppose all good things do come to an end.

Also also, Immanuel is a contemptible jerk.

• Duke Plus Developer

There's a bit of truth in each reason someone advances for why the forum is so dead now. But it feels like scapegoating to focus on the politics (or any one thing for that matter). I could also point out that Polymer never being finished eventually killed off a lot of that HRP excitement you mentioned and killed projects resulting in people leaving, too. The technological edge of platforms like Discord is a big reason, too.

All things do come to an end, the best we can do is continue to move forward with what we've got.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDanukem, on 18 May 2021 - 01:41 PM, said:

hardcore anti-maskers like Jimmy

I resent this remark. I'm not hardcore anti-mask. I don't care who wears one. I don't go out attacking people for wearing them.

The real freaks are the mask people going out and attacking people for being normal fucking human beings. Don't try to force anything onto or into my body. That's not an extreme belief.

Posted Image

Guest_Bubble Gum Chewer_*

View Postjkas789, on 18 May 2021 - 12:47 PM, said:

I don't mind? As a doctor I have come to the conclusion that I can't force my patients to do anything they don't want to unless:

1.- I can take advantage of their situation and appeal to their families
2.- They are dying and fuck you I will do what i got to do
3.- death is the other option
4.- an large amount of money being spent is the other option

Not necessarily in that order.

People see the mask issue as something oh so surprising and retarded, but as someone who has had to wrangle with diabetic patient, patients with heart illneses, patients with obesity, fuck patients in general this is par for the course.

"How stupid are this people who don't wear masks right doctor?" says my diabetic obese patient who uses insulin as a crutch everytime he goes out of his diet and piggies out with soda and thrash food.

"How stupid are this people who don't wear masks right doctor?" says my patient whom I have just done a knee arthroplasty a moth ago and has gone back to heavy weight lifting.

The truth of the matter is that few like doing what they are told to and you have to either instill the fear of death on them or use force to make them do shit. People just like to feel better than others and are a bunch of fucking hypocrites, that and the current sociopolitical climate of the USA is why wearing a mask became a fucking symbol.

Common sense and intelligence are not common. People are stubborn (to the point of damaging their health), hypocrites, liars and don't like change. Water is wet and the sky is blue.

What else is new?

With all due respect doc, just because majority is retarded, doesn't mean that I, or Jimmy or anyone else for that matter, have to wear a piece of... whatever the fuck those masks are made of, (I am not even sure anymore) that makes it harder to breathe. This "wear the mask and stay inside" nonsense was (and still is) forced upon us all. I understand why folks like medical personnel have to wear them, but would you please leave me the fuck alone?

This post has been edited by Bubble Gum Chewer: 18 May 2021 - 07:07 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Accidental downvote fam.

View PostBubble Gum Chewer, on 18 May 2021 - 07:07 PM, said:

With all due respect doc, just because majority is retarded, doesn't mean that I, or Jimmy or anyone else for that matter, have to wear a piece of... whatever the fuck those masks are made of, (I am not even sure anymore) that makes it harder to breathe. This "wear the mask and stay inside" nonsense was (and still is) forced upon us all. I understand why folks like medical personnel have to wear them, but would you please leave me the fuck alone?

I'm not telling you to do so. You are free to do whatever you want.

The point of my post was that I, as a doctor, understand that people can not be forced to do what they don't want to. And if I, as a doctor, can get over it from reading a couple of posts on a stupid forum thread that devolved into a pissing contest, than anyone should also be able to. It's words on the internet that will eventually disappear into the ether unless someone backs it up on internet archive or something.

Also I was pointing out the hypocrisy in people criticizing those who don't wear mask when they likely don't follow other medical recommendations and treatments.

As long as you are not knowingly transmitting a disease (likes some AIDS dumbasses like to be gift givers) to someone else and try to follow some of the recommendations to some extent, then I don't really care how you choose to follow the pandemic recommendations. And if you decide not to do so then at all then I also don't care. Because experience has taught me otherwise.

There's a bit of truth in each reason someone advances for why the forum is so dead now. But it feels like scapegoating to focus on the politics (or any one thing for that matter). I could also point out that Polymer never being finished eventually killed off a lot of that HRP excitement you mentioned and killed projects resulting in people leaving, too. The technological edge of platforms like Discord is a big reason, too.

All things do come to an end, the best we can do is continue to move forward with what we've got.

I agree with this. And yes, eventually all things end and fade into nothing. Like (pardon the cringe) tears in the rain. Duke4 may someday die off, and the Discord will eventually die off as well. And we (or a new generation) will all move on to another forum (or worse case scenario, Reddit) and the cycle will repeat again until Duke Nukem fades out of the public consciousness like many games before it have before.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 18 May 2021 - 07:50 PM

• banned!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 May 2021 - 04:32 PM, said:

Also also, Immanuel is a contemptible jerk.

If you don't like me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best!!!

View PostJimmy, on 18 May 2021 - 06:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

Bloody hell, this pic is the quintessence of these comments (and those 10v1 like bastards with sunglasses+masks+weapons, looks more terrorists than actual terrorits!)

It does not matter the arguments, in some contexts people are forced to act as hypocrites because other bastards are numerically superior, or they won't leave you in peace.

It really does not matter what, it happens for skin colour, sports or whatever stupid pretext/reason, from something basic like supporting a team or another, not that you win anything if they win or lose (useless you bet :P), to more dramatic politcs/mobsters/tyranny shit.

Otherwise, yes, in larger contexts that they are not forced and they have the freedom to choose, definitely they can be purely hypocrites, and this litterally sucks.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 19 May 2021 - 12:11 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

You know, I've thought about this before, you're not an insulated case sometimes thinking Duke4 looks depressing (although with how hyperactive the Duke 3D community is right now, fundamentally I don't think it really is), but unless going on here really starts affecting your mental state in a way you can't dig, I think that's a (reassuring and thus naturally tempting) scapegoat when in reality it's the Internet as a whole that's depressing, because it's a reflection of how crazy everyone in real life really is and that tends to poke one's bubble of comfort and feeling of safety. Earlier I was saying we were all fucked in the head for spending time on forums or caring about Build but in reality I don't think that's true, it's only purely natural that different people will be driven to the specific things that are appealing to them and then, so long as those interests are harmless for the community, all stigma really comes down to societal pressure constantly dictating what's productive and constructive and what isn't because neither national nor private economy (a rather conceptual line anyway) is very likely to benefit from this or that behavior. I think people commonly underestimate how said societal pressure affects if not downright dictates their behaviors and feelings and lifestyle, messing with their understandings of their real needs, selling placebos, creating contradictions within the individual themselves. No shit everyone is technically insane going by this definition, but that's because so much of what people regard, praise and fear as the norm is one biased construction stranded behind some shop window. And different local politics and cultural expectations will lure people away from the universal natural in different ways; throw everyone's personal neurosis into the mix and yes the picture of humanity will look ugly. But I think that's focusing on the empty half of the glass, despite that chaos that makes even myself enjoy a rather solitary lifestyle every now and then, fundamentally I still see the good in people too, no matter the amount of bullshit they put up for show, or because they really think they have to, the logic being if you don't start doing it then no one will and you'll just be one more casualty. Everyone really is just conflicted in different ways, but most won't tell you (or themselves) because that's typically not alpha to admit - since no higher-up ever dictated that as lucrative behavior - but personally, I think recognizing personal weakness, as a move, and then overcoming it is the most alpha shit. And most of the time, what you think is your craziness really is your superpower, but one needs to accept their singularity before they can use it in such a way.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 May 2021 - 06:49 AM

• banned!

View Postck3D, on 19 May 2021 - 03:01 AM, said:

You know, I've thought about this before, you're not an insulated case sometimes thinking Duke4 looks depressing (although with how hyperactive the Duke 3D community is right now, fundamentally I don't think it really is), but unless going on here really starts affecting your mental state in a way you can't dig, I think that's a (reassuring and thus naturally tempting) scapegoat when in reality it's the Internet as a whole that's depressing, because it's a reflection of how crazy everyone in real life really is and that tends to poke one's bubble of comfort and feeling of safety

True. Everyone is batshit these days. I fully admit I was wrong to say this was a far right hive, when in reality there was just one neo-Nazi that everyone put up with, because maybe they respected his contributions to their favorite franchises (and agreed with some of their other views). I stand by what I've said many times, though, that when you let people rage with impunity, it pushes out the more even-keeled people that maybe would've made for a more productive community, but that argument's gone in circles enough times that I truly don't give a shit anymore. I'll keep "being myself" on here until my time's up.

View Postck3D, on 19 May 2021 - 03:01 AM, said:

Earlier I was saying we were all fucked in the head for spending time on forums or caring about Build but in reality I don't think that's true, it's only purely natural that different people will be driven to the specific things that are appealing to them

Extreme narrow interests are common in autism, but it's very normal for men generally to have niche interests! One of those gender specific traits that have been found to be largely genetic.

This post has been edited by Immanuel Cunt: 19 May 2021 - 07:48 AM

The vibe of this thread:

Spoiler

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View Postjkas789, on 18 May 2021 - 07:39 PM, said:

As long as you are not knowingly transmitting a disease (likes some AIDS dumbasses like to be gift givers) to someone else

A lot of otherwise intelligent people can't tell the difference.
Spoiler

View PostPhredreeke, on 19 May 2021 - 07:05 AM, said:

Also, unlike AIDS, most people with COVID recovers from it

Also, unlike AIDS, people with COVID can recover from it.

Cough cough AIDS is a chronic disease cough cough.

in reality it's the Internet as a whole that's depressing, because it's a reflection of how crazy everyone in real life really is and that tends to poke one's bubble of comfort and feeling of safety.

I've said it once, and I will say it once again:

The internet is only depressing if you spend most of your time on it. I could go on to my favorite conspiracy of Fabian socialists winning the long war and that we should just enjoy the ride to our future brave new world but honestly this is just the internet machine working it's magic. Rage posts, politics and controversies dominate the top feeds of all social media because of clicks, ads and interactivity manipulation. People are crazy but are also more adjusted and normal than we all think.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by jkas789: 19 May 2021 - 07:26 AM

There was one person who was cured of HIV. He had a cancer which necessitated (a very risky) procedure which involved wiping out his existing immune system and then transplanting bone marrow from a donor.

The donor happened to have a rare mutation which made him immune to HIV. This led the patient's new immune system to be able to fight off the virus.

View PostPhredreeke, on 19 May 2021 - 07:27 AM, said:

There was one person who was cured of HIV. He had a cancer which necessitated (a very risky) procedure which involved wiping out his existing immune system and then transplanting bone marrow from a donor.

The donor happened to have a rare mutation which made him immune to HIV. This led the patient's new immune system to be able to fight off the virus.

So basically a unicorn. Still for 99.9999999% of the population they are shit out of luck.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostImmanuel Cunt, on 19 May 2021 - 07:01 AM, said:

I've said many times, though, that when you let people rage with impunity, it pushes out the more even-keeled people that maybe would've made for a more productive community,

I disagree. I think letting the nutters speak with imputiy lets you track them far more easily. You silence them, they go to ground, find other nutters, and then you have a big damn cult. Everyone has to be on the same page about that, though.

That's just my Libertarian point of view on the matter. With freedom comes excess. And yes I do think that should generally be applied to places of discussion like this even if they are technically "private" and subject to their own rules of conduct. I'm not saying people should be allowed to form lynch mobs, but I am saying things are generally better and more intellectually honest when even the craziest can speak their mind openly. Everyone can then immediately pick up on the crazies and stand against them more readily.

Re: Masks. I pretty much agree with Jimmy, even though we've butted heads a few times on facebook, in general I agree with his sentiments.

I was a good American for 2020. I wore my mask like I was told. I stayed home like I was told. I bought the line.

Problem is, I got COVID-19 twice. Once in January of 2020 where I spent nearly 20 days in bed. The next time my wife was exposed and when she got home I was already treating myself for it. She got it hard, she doesn't remember two of the days she was sick at all. Luckily the second time wasn't as bad for me as I was treating it before I even got it, and my immune system must have built up some kind of defense. But we were both sick through Christmas and into January 2021. Merry f*cking Christmas.

It's no joke, getting COVID... What irks me is when people say they think it's nothing at all. I can absolutely see how it could kill someone if left untreated. My first experience was PAINFUL. Couldn't catch my breath, had pains in my lungs, drifted in and out of sleep. I hit it with every kind of treatment I could think of. Netty pot, a humidifier to break up the shit, Mucinex, hot tea, hot water. It got better, eventually... But it was not fun.

Things to keep in mind, though. I have Type 1 Diabetes, and MRSA. That's an autoimmune condition and an immunocompromising condition. I'm in a high risk group. So I should be dead, according to the hysterical media.

Of course if I were to believe men like Dr. Fauci I should have been fine. We wore masks every time my wife and I went out to do shopping or run errands. We'd wash our hands after being out. We're generally very clean. So how is it that we still managed to get sick? Not only that, but beat the odds in my case and get it twice?

The masks are bullshit, and it was never about keeping us safe. It was about controlling us.

View PostOpenMaw, on 19 May 2021 - 12:09 PM, said:

I was a good American for 2020. I wore my mask like I was told. I stayed home like I was told. I bought the line.

Problem is, I got COVID-19 twice.

Masks don't protect your eyes.

• banned!

View PostOpenMaw, on 19 May 2021 - 12:09 PM, said:

I disagree. I think letting the nutters speak with imputiy lets you track them far more easily. You silence them, they go to ground, find other nutters, and then you have a big damn cult. Everyone has to be on the same page about that, though.

I don't think you disagree, dude. You're making a different point. What I'm saying definitely happens. What you're saying also happens. I guess I was just lamenting the state of what is essentially a video game forum. And while most folks aren't "that bad", for a while it was quite a shit show. I think it's improved honestly. Maybe there's hope yet. I like Jimmy now for example. Forge is alright too.

Maybe we all grew a little bit?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostImmanuel Cunt, on 19 May 2021 - 12:42 PM, said:

And while most folks aren't "that bad", for a while it was quite a shit show. I think it's improved honestly. Maybe there's hope yet. I like Jimmy now for example. Forge is alright too.

Maybe we all grew a little bit?

More like the forum has reached a new equilibrium due to various causes. Not necessarily something to celebrate: Death is a kind of equilibrium, too. Two of the people who were antagonistic with you during the shitshow period are gone. Of those two I would say that Radar was the more significant, not Weider, because Radar posted far more often and was a catalyst for bringing others to the arguments. Personally I wouldn't have banned him at the time he was banned, but with him gone most of the political posting is gone, too.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options