Duke4.net Forums: Two New Lee Jackson Tracks - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two New Lee Jackson Tracks  "From the Ultimate MIDI Pack"

User is offline   Lunick 

Lee Jackson has contributed to the Ultimate MIDI Pack on Doomworld and is contributing to the TNT: Evilution MIDI Pack as well but that is not released yet. You can read more about that on his blog.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Hey, cool :) So that's why Lee joined Doomworld.

Ant Farm Melee has a slight Mortal Kombat-esque vibe to me, while Vitamin B6 sounds like something that could be in a Dark Forces map (but also has Duke3D-ish overtones).

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Right on.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

This makes me dream replacing the original Doom music with a custom soundtrack by Lee. Kinda "Doom the Way Lee Would have Done".

User is offline   NNC 

Vitamin B6 is something I can see in a new Duke 3D map too. Not a great track, a filler to be honest, but it's still a decent effort. Ant Farm Melee... uhh, this was really not my cup of tea.

What's the point of this project btw? Why do they want to replace the original midi in Doom? Or if they want to remove the duplicates, why wasn't a single guy like Paddock (or Lee maybe) who has been asked for it? This will be another inconsistent hodjpodj with varying quality.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 06 May 2021 - 10:24 PM, said:

Vitamin B6 is something I can see in a new Duke 3D map too. Not a great track, a filler to be honest, but it's still a decent effort. Ant Farm Melee... uhh, this was really not my cup of tea.

What's the point of this project btw? Why do they want to replace the original midi in Doom? Or if they want to remove the duplicates, why wasn't a single guy like Paddock (or Lee maybe) who has been asked for it? This will be another inconsistent hodjpodj with varying quality.

The point of Ultimate is to take care of the duplicates, yeah. It's at least coming in three versions, one for just episode 4, one for the duplicates across all episodes, and then one to replace the entire soundtrack.

The TNT one seems to only be the latter, which I definitely am not a fan of. The Plutonia MIDI project made a lot of sense, since there were only duplicates from D1 and D2 (but mostly D1), and the MIDI project is the definitive way to play Plutonia in my eyes now (much like Jimmy's music for Duke DC is the definitive way to play it). But since then these Midi projects started to get....weird. Replacing all the music to a wad (especially an IWAD) that didn't have its own original soundtrack? Makes absolutely perfect sense. Nothing wrong there.

Replace duplicated songs? Okay, starting to lose me a bit, but I at least understand where you're coming from.

Replace every song, including the originals with remixed versions of them? Yep that's a step too far for me.

Nah, I think making a custom alternate soundtrack for a game that has a good one by default is fine. Didn't Sonic Mayhem start their career by producing one such for Quake?

Something tells me that with games that use(d) CD Audio for soundtrack, many people would swap the game CD with their favourite music CD(s) way more often that one would think.

View PostMrFlibble, on 07 May 2021 - 09:58 AM, said:

many people would swap the game CD with their favourite music CD(s) way more often that one would think.

Could you actually do that and still have the game work?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNinety-Six, on 07 May 2021 - 03:32 PM, said:

Absolutely, every now and then I still see people ask why Quake is playing a different soundtrack and it's because they have some other CD in their drive

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think custom music packs are cool. I've wanted to do many of my own for a variety of games in the past. It's neat to play a game with an alternate experience from an alternate point of view. The originals are always there and aren't going anywhere.

View PostNinety-Six, on 07 May 2021 - 03:32 PM, said:

That depends on the game, if it only checks the CD at startup for copy protection and then just plays music while all the data files are installed on the HD, then it is perfectly possible. Same goes for any game that checks the CD for protection and stuff like video cutscenes, even if no audio CD music is used (e.g. later Command & Conquer games). You can remove the CD from the drive at any time once the game has started.

User is offline   Lunick 

I might just re-use this thread for other loose Lee Jackson tracks.

Recently Lee released his first collaboration with fellow artist Jimmy for a very ROTT sounding track:

Lee also contributed to another MIDI project for TNT Evilution with three new tracks:

User is offline   Lunick 

Second post because this forum doesn't like more than 2 YouTube links per post

MIlling Around is pretty long but I think it's great.

View PostLunick, on 17 June 2021 - 02:37 PM, said:

Recently Lee released his first collaboration with fellow artist Jimmy for a very ROTT sounding track:

The most prominent Doom MIDI maker of the present day + one of the most legendary composers of the 90s. Hot damn. I can actually hear both styles in this.

Now all we need is a collaboration between Mark Klem and Bobby Prince and the cycle will be complete.

User is offline   Lunick 

Ant Farm Melee has been mastered and released on Bandcamp https://leejackson1..../ant-farm-melee

User is offline   Lee Jackson 

• Composer

View PostLunick, on 08 July 2021 - 09:27 PM, said:

Ant Farm Melee has been mastered and released on Bandcamp https://leejackson1..../ant-farm-melee

Thanks for keeping track of that for me!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options