Duke4.net Forums: (New RELEASE) WGSP2.map 4/May/2021 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(New RELEASE) WGSP2.map 4/May/2021  "Second WGSP level NEW!"

New Vanilla level from me requires Eduke32. Uses some TROR. I suggest playing in polymost, as some TROR warps show up in classic.
Takes me around 15 minutes to pass the level. I'm guessing a first time player might take around 20 minutes.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  WGSP2.zip (101.55K)
    Number of downloads: 211

User is online   ck3D 

Damn you're on a roll! I can't keep up and I love it! Will try to play ASAP back to back with the first. Thanks for sharing.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 04 May 2021 - 01:49 AM

CGS, 18 minutes clocked, 7/8 secrets found.
Died twice: once I got squished on the ledge with columns surrounding the chapel (I have no idea how), second time in the end when I tried rushing the battlelord with a shrinker only to be made into a sieve by his brother on the left side.

Good map, even though I actually like the first installment quite a bit more thanks to the brooding atmosphere and sparse combat. This map felt a bit more concentrated and to the point in terms of combat where WGSP1 let the atmospere sink for a while before going all in.
Really dig these long dark descending stairs leading to a chapel (and the ones in the end leading to an alies pyramid). The chapel ain't too shabby either, solid looks all around. TROR is implemented in a very interesting way (the rotating door puzzle), though in my version of EDuke it was a bit glitchy.

I also dig the decision to ditch the keycards and make the first weapon you get an RPG. At least that's how it played for me, I got the shotgun after a while and barely used it in the map.
The combat in general was fun in a classic DN3D sense. Nothing that will make you grit your teeth, but rushing through will get you killed, and enemy placement was mostly really good. Pipebombs are abundant, but I couldn't find good use for them because of how big most room are.
The showdown at the Octabrain nest was fun, even if it was fairly simple. In general this map felt easier than WGSP1.

Personally not a fan of random enemy sounds you hear during the map. Sometimes you tend to downright abuse them to a point where it stops serving the tone or building tension and becomes kinda annoying.
The stair while really cool to look at are not an ideal place for massive encounters. The first battlelord on the stairs didn't manage to score a single hit, the second one got stuck behind a pillar making them both complete pushovers.
Also some of the TROR rooms don't work perfectly for the enemies. One Octabrain got stuck on the red wall in the rotating door room and I couldn't kill it even with blast damage, huh.

Overall, really good map and congrats on release, glad you're making vanilla levels again. This is shaping up to be a great map pack with a rarely explored theme. Kudos!

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 04 May 2021 - 02:18 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

Damn man I only finished the previous map and you already released another one!

WG and Alex Pistol is back, new faces like Michael Hunt making new stuff - what's happening!

It was playing AA that motivated me to build levels for duke again. I played ep1 on AA and really wanted to build a "The Abyss" style level, that ended up being used as a Boss level in Attrition, then I made some more for classic. :P

Thanks for the comments Mister Sinister!

Radars playthrough using AMC TC

Looks alot harder using AMC. Was fun watching him work the puzzles out. :D

This post has been edited by William Gee: 04 May 2021 - 06:36 PM

User is online   Mark 

Between fantastic use of sector lighting /shading and eduke's visibility settings, this is a superb looking map.
A lot of times I look at a map and wonder how much better it would look in Polymer with it's fancy lighting. This was done so well in Polymost that I didn't think that this time.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Awesome, more WG goodness! :D

I say it's just as good as the first one, some really clever puzzles (especially the one with the rotating sectors stacked on top of each other) and the lightning/shadow effects are fantastic.
I agree with Mister Sinister about the random monster sounds, it's a cool effect but a bit overused. The overall atmosphere is great though, it really feels like you're descending into an evil place.

I also found the RPG before finding the shotgun and the chaingun, but had no real trouble with the balance.
There was plenty of health and ammo around, the fights were well paced. Loved the final setpiece. Only found 3 secrets, still need to find the devastator. p

Thanks Merlijn
I cant imagine how you passed the level without the devastator. :D

View PostMark, on 04 May 2021 - 07:31 PM, said:

Between fantastic use of sector lighting /shading and eduke's visibility settings, this is a superb looking map.
A lot of times I look at a map and wonder how much better it would look in Polymer with it's fancy lighting. This was done so well in Polymost that I didn't think that this time.

Thanks Mark! Glad you enjoyed it.

Overall my shading has improved alot since I have started the abyss style levels. :o

User is online   ck3D 

I still haven't played the maps yet but I watched Radar's video and I was blown away by a lot of the design choices in this one. That hallway with the big staircase and shrinker puzzle, or the areas with the green and red flashing lights and the rotating column next to that red hallway with the Cyclers looked especially great to me, I really appreciate you making maps with higher ceilings/skies and bigger spaces than most, you're a master of verticality. From what I could see the gameplay and progression also look really unique and cool with that play on holes in walls and room over room, all the while remaining a recognizable spiritual successor to The Abyss. I guess it's just that much more epic in an alternate reality where the alien spaceship instead crashes in New Zealand. Anyway, again what a sweet unexpected treat to see more Duke 3D levels from you, very psyched!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 05 May 2021 - 11:10 PM

Thanks, the second map has a different feel to the first, but I quite enjoy playing it. Part 3 will again have a different feel, being inside the mothership. :D
My goal is to make a few 15 minute levels to put together as a new episode. Im not sure how many might be just a mini 3 level episode or 4 lets see what happens.

User is online   Aleks 

Finally got to play it yesterday and took me about 30-35 minutes, but then I spent a lot of time just looking at stuff around, as the design looks amazing! :D It does feel completely different than the first one indeed, despite both having very strong The Abyss vibe of course - and I think I liked this one a bit more, due to it resembling my favourite part of the level. TROR was implemented flawlessly once again, it gave the level very strong 3D feeling and was much more pronounced than in the first map, but didn't have any "gimmicky" thing to it - great job! :o And the play on shadows was fantastic, really liked it. The puzzles were also fun - especially the 2 level rotating thing, but also the shrinker puzzle was something I liked.

Spoiler

Few minor complaints:
  • agree with Mister Sinister and Merlijn on the random alien sounds, they seem to be overused around in this map (especially some being in sectors right next to each other it seems),
  • the final battle seemed a bit too dark for me, it was hardly to see what's shooting at me and playing without auto-aim, it was tricky to hit things. Also not sure about mixing slimers and protector drones at the end, as all the protector drones ended up being eaten by slimers :D
  • the wall textures around the room with the raising stairs moved along with the stairs - I think it would look better if their orientation was changed with "O", so they would just stay in place (also it resulted in the textures being a bit misaligned at one position of the stairs),
  • this one's not on you but on TROR I guess, but some random sectors seemed to drain health/boots energy despite not having the acid textures, for example the highest step in that hole you had to enter to reach the top floor above the acid early in the map.

Overall, great experience, congratulations again on the release! Found 5/8 secrets during normal play, then backtracked to look for the others - the very first secret in the map took me the longest to figure out. Also it seemed some monsters respawned on the way and got stuck into not following me through these long stairs, not sure if it was intended.

Thanks Alerks. Glad you liked it.
Yes that is how the shrinker puzzle works. :D I knew I had to add one, and that is just how it came out. :D

I know about the sector draining your health, I gave up trying to fix it. :s
In fact I had a few brainfc%*Ks with that pyramid chapel thing there are still 2 corrupted walls. I spent ages chasing them and fixing the pyramid then gave up leaving 2 behind.

Your right about the wall behind the raising steps, will catch that with the pack. And reduce my random sounds for everyone. :D

User is offline   Merlijn 

View PostWilliam Gee, on 05 May 2021 - 03:26 PM, said:

Thanks Merlijn
I cant imagine how you passed the level without the devastator. :D

By the skin of my teeth. :D I did die once at the end, I used too many explosives on the octo's and then still had to deal with the battlords.
I did notice the devastator ammo so I figured it was somewhere, but I must have missed it somehow.

Regarding the map corruption:
Using the console command "corruptcheck tryfix" seems to fix the map corruption, but I haven't tested for any side effects on the map so use it at your own risk.

Regarding the sectors where Duke gets hurt even though the sector doesn't appear to have an acid texture:
This can be a TROR issue. TROR boundary floors/ceilings actually have their own textures (not just the "RoR" texture that appears in the editor); to see what the actual texture on a TROR boundary is, press "T" with the cursor on the "RoR" surface and it will become visible so you can change it. (Pressing "T" a few more times will make it invisible again (and the "RoR" texture will appear in the editor).) If a TROR boundary has an acid texture and Duke is taking acid damage when he shouldn't be, then changing the texture on the TROR boundary may fix the problem.

This post has been edited by ToiletDuck64: 06 May 2021 - 11:47 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

Just finished the map, took me 24 minuntes.
I liked this map a lot more than the previous one. The lighing is fantastic, combat was great too, and TROR is really impressive. The fact that you made it only in 9 days is honestly mind-blowing, as it's a top-notch job you've done here.

I agree with Merlijn and Mr. about enemy sounds, it becomes really annoying in quantities like this. The only part where the sound scared me is by the very end of the map, as I was low on health and on the edge of my seat.

User is offline   Maarten 

Woah...I'm away / un-active on these forums (but still working on my own project) ...and you just released 2 / 3 maps!
Won't have time t he next few days...but after that I will surely play your maps! :)

:D The next map is ready and arriving in the next couple days.
Thanks Sanek and ToiletDuck64!

If and when I put the levels together as a episode I will reduce the random sounds in this level so no worries.

User is online   ck3D 

MSDN review: https://msdn.duke4.net/hotwgsp2.php Mikko is struggling to keep up!

User is offline   NNC 

View PostSanek, on 04 May 2021 - 01:45 PM, said:

Damn man I only finished the previous map and you already released another one!

WG and Alex Pistol is back, new faces like Michael Hunt making new stuff - what's happening!

And ck3D is planning his new explosive map set too....

User is online   Aleks 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 19 May 2021 - 09:58 AM, said:

And ck3D is planning his new explosive map set too....

Also both van Oostrums are probably gonna release their maps this year, Mister Sinister is quite far with his episode too... I imagine it's gonna be a good year!

Cool! I was surprised Mikko didnt complain about the random sounds, I was expecting him too for sure.
Anyways level 4 is a boss map and is finished now. All 4 levels are packed in a GRP as a episode, hopefully released some time soonish.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options