Duke4.net Forums: (New RELEASE) WGSP1.map 23/april/2021 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(New RELEASE) WGSP1.map 23/april/2021

New level from me requires Eduke32. Uses some TROR.
Play in Vanilla Duke3D + Eduke32 or in AA.
This uses some AA sprite works for more atmosphere, but I recommend the first time you play be in Vanilla Duke3d until the XP toggle is added.
Takes me 15 minutes to pass the level. I'm guessing a first time player might take around 20 minutes.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  WGSP1.zip (65.5K)
    Number of downloads: 255

This post has been edited by William Gee: 22 April 2021 - 06:06 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

Whoah! Playing it ASAP. Congrants on the new vanilla release, haven't seen it from you in a while.

And thank you for still being a part of community, all these years. :)

Thanks!
The last Vanilla map I made was WGCity I think. That was over 10 years ago..

This post has been edited by William Gee: 22 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

This map has a feel to it that I don't think I've seen in other levels before.

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostWilliam Gee, on 22 April 2021 - 04:55 PM, said:

Thanks!
The last Vanilla map I made was WGCity I think. That was over 10 years ago..

I believe it was more than that actually and yet I remember the release thread on AMC like some Christmas morning when I was a little kid. Your take on a city was really cool and especially fresh at the time since most urban levels weren't on that scale. OGBB was great too, I was thinking about it the other day noticing how you had included Numan's Beerzity with an update of WGRealms, you and Numan both share the same background as a painter if I'm not mistaken and so will look at the grid as one big canvas to fill in with one cohesive but whole scenery, you guys literally fill in the picture, as a result the levels feel like unique pieces and I love it, that approach makes for the best level design I think. The Numan thing was just funny because I had completely forgotten how big that map was and so looking back at it I instantly realized one more reason why you guys might have connected so well, ha. Great to see one more release from you, congrats, excited to check it out.

Thanks ck3D! Did I release WGCity on the AMC forums? I didn't relies it was that old! :o
Ha, yeah Numan was fun, I havent heard from him in many years though. I forgot about his WGRealms level. We also worked together on the Imperium episode.
As for a large canvas, I really struggle to build indoor levels, I tend to strive with large outdoor locations. Strange thinking back at the WGSpace episode was mainly indoors. :/
I have good memories building OGBB with the O-BROS. good times.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 23 April 2021 - 03:39 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

I just noticed someone has been fast and put a video playthrough up on YouTube already. Like they used to say, 'dame!'.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Sweet map, it's like The Abbys in some dark, twisted alternate reality. Very creepy and atmospheric, especially towards the end. The chapel on top of the mountain was a nice touch.
The TROR works flawlessly in classic mode, it's well implemented. Great to see another vanilla map from you!

I have good memories building OGBB with the O-BROS. good times.

Not trying to sound overly sentimental, but OGBB was one of those 'lightning in a bottle' moments. That map was so much fun to make. :)

Thanks Merlijn,
My intention was to make a Abyss style level with my own twist. It was very helpful to learn from and study the original.
Building OGGB was one of my 2 best duke memories, the other being making the first 3 levels of siege Breaker with DAN.

View Postck3D, on 23 April 2021 - 04:55 AM, said:

I just noticed someone has been fast and put a video playthrough up on YouTube already. Like they used to say, 'dame!'.

Cool! He managed to pass the level without the Devastator. :D

User is offline   Aleks 

Just played it, great map! Loved the atmosphere and use of red palette, also the TROR implementation was flawless (played with Polymost) and it's nice to see it incorporated so well into the level that it doesn't look gimmicky at all. Also all the flickering lights and layered shadows looked marvelous, especially that underground chapel with a long coffin. Also the puzzle in the room where you get red keycard, with the elevating pillars, were pretty neat. And of course all the earthquakes and destruction, especially the massive one towards the end!

To be honest, haven't played a WG map since WG City I think, was it around 2008 or so? I think I've been still briefly visiting AMC back then :o

Found all secrets, but still had to fight first Battlelord with a shotgun after wasting all RPG ammo before, so maybe I missed something :D Also I wouldn't mind an extra pair of boots or armor somewhere around. At the beginning in the room with boots, a few of the spawned troopers fly into a sloped parallaxed sector and get squished sometimes, maybe this could be blocked.

Congrats on the release, man!

Thanks Alerks!
There is a second pair of boots on the underground chapel, so dark there its hard to see, well you don't see them haha if you walk into them your lucky, Perhaps I should of made it easier.
There is a RPG AMMO at the first TROR behind the waterfall for the Battlelord.
I forgot about Armour, yeah that could be added. :D

I wasn't sure about that pillar puzzle, but it seems to be easy enough for people next time I will make something a bit more challenging.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 23 April 2021 - 03:48 PM

User is online   slacker1 

I'm usually not a huge fan of Abyss style levels but this one may have changed my feelings on that as I really enjoyed it.

I didn't read about the TROR in the map before playing so it caught me off guard when I saw it (in a good way). I jumped down that first hole and then jumped back out to take another look. :)

I'm glad I spent the extra time to figure out how to get the Devastator because I would have definitely ran out of ammo on the Octabrains if I didn't have it.

All in all, really good map. There was a nice sense of progression with areas that flowed nicely together while staying on theme and also keeping things interesting and new.

It took me about 20 minutes and I found a little more than half the secrets.

Thanks Slacker! Glad you enjoyed it! :) Yeah I saw Radar pass the level without finding the Devastator, I don't think I could. :D

User is offline   Seb Luca 

Impressive and well built :) GG !

Thanks Seb.
Review @ MSDN https://msdn.duke4.net/hotwgsp1.php

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options