Duke4.net Forums: Michael Hunt Map Series - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Michael Hunt Map Series

Merlijn, on 16 November 2021 - 10:45 AM, said:

Finally got around playing the 3 remaining maps in this episode.

Sacred Ground

I love how this one starts, with the helicopter crashing into the mountain. The invisible walls in the opening area a bit annoying, but since there are no enemies in this area it's only a minor complaint.
The base itself looked very good, the shadows and lights are very well done. I also liked the underwater theme, and cool details like water breaking through the ceiling and doors. Also the vista's to the underwater surroundings are a nice touch (especially liked the one in the mess hall). I don't agree with Mikko and felt that this theme was quite well established. Also, the base does feel lived in and actually under alien attack thanks to well timed sounds and explosions.
I also didn't solve the binary puzzle on my own, perhaps having 3 separate panels with quite a bit of distance between them was a bit too much.

Archer

I always love space maps, something about the skybox just immediately immerses me. It helps that you made a somewhat believable space station, where every room is well defined and has a clear purpose.
As others have mentioned the first half is a bit boxy, but then there's that effect in the red keycard hallway.. WOW! That was a great surprise. Reading this topic I realise it took quite a bit of trickery to get it working, but it was well worth it!
Like the last map, you really get the sense the place is under alien attack (there's also the later scene where the crew quarters of the archer get blown up by the alien bastards). The Archer was the highlight in terms of design, with those cool diagonal windows and a nice layout that opens up little by little.
The fight with the 2 battlelords in the storage room was pretty nerve wrecking in a good way, they almost managed to pin me down but I took 1 of them out just time.

Luna One

I must say the quality of the episode feels very consistent, again you're doing a great job with clean design and strong shadows. The streets with the glass ceilings were definitely my favorite thing in terms of visuals. Also loved the hotel section, especially the pool with the view of the moon in the background. Such a cool setting. The most memorable fight was again against 2 battlelords. They spawned while I was at the police station but I didn't immediately go outside to confront them. For some reason they walked into the strip club and went idle in a far corner behind the bar! I don't know how they ended up there, but it created a lot of tension and when they saw me and started roaring it nearly gave me a heart attack lol. Only slight downside is the lunar reactor at the end, which felt a bit too similar to the original version.
I could also say the final fight was easy, but the same can be said about the original episodes. Duke's bosses are a bit of a pushover, sadly enough.

Overall, a very nice set of maps! They look good, play well and feel consistent quality wise.

Hi All,

It's been a little while since I checked this forum, but thanks for the recent reviews. As always, the feedback is really appreciated and helpful, and will be used on any future projects.

Cheers,

MH :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I just finished playing this episode and I think you've done a brilliant job overall. I have to admit I didn't think I was going to like Luna One as much as I did because I assumed it was going to be a typical space station theme map. But by integrating city-like areas into the station in a way that made sense, it made it feel like more of a normal city map despite the locale, which was great.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options