• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Michael Hunt In-Progress Map Series

User is offline   slacker1 

View PostMichael_Hunt, on 12 May 2021 - 01:48 AM, said:

Spoiler

Thanks! So I was on the right path!

Spoiler

Just finished the map. Took about 40 minutes. I really liked the atmosphere of the level and the story telling through the computer screens.

I sort of wish that...
Spoiler

All in all, really good work like the last two levels!

This post has been edited by slacker1: 12 May 2021 - 09:41 PM

View Postslacker1, on 12 May 2021 - 09:39 PM, said:

Thanks! So I was on the right path!

Spoiler

Just finished the map. Took about 40 minutes. I really liked the atmosphere of the level and the story telling through the computer screens.

I sort of wish that...
Spoiler

All in all, really good work like the last two levels!

Glad you liked it, thanks for the feedback :) Getting to work on part 4 this weekend.

User is offline   Aleks 

Played the 3rd map and I really liked it - although got confused at the same place like Slacker. I loved the puzzles there, but lack of indication was a bit off-putting and I had to lurk in here to see what I'm missing.

Spoiler

I liked how pretty much the whole base was recreated within the map and looked very consistent. The flooded rooms were a nice touch, also the sounds of fighting between aliens and EDF soldiers were cool (kinda reminded me of my own Freezing Fear level from Back in Business :D ). It all gave the map a nice touch of being alive. Strong, contrasting shadows are once again a highlight of the map and perhaps the most distinguishable elements of the style you developed. This time the map was much more straightforward IMO (despite there being some paths to choose from here and there and lots of interconnections which worked well) than with more open Penthouse. Also the combat felt a bit too easy, even on Come Get Some I probably didn't even get below 150 HP at all (not sure if the 2 happy meals with atomic healths right at the start were intentional :P ). Some more design-related nitpicking:
  • The view-aligned and floor-aligned sprites on the outside part take their shade from the sky, so they looked fullbright and kinda ruined the overall nice atmosphere on the place. I know you made the map primarily for Megaton, so no idea if "sprite noshade" (N key in 3D mode) is a thing there - in EDuke this allows you to set any given shade value on these kinds of sprites. Another solution would be setting different shade value on the inner parts of the sky - if the parallaxed sector doesn't touch any non-parallaxed sectors or white walls, it will be "invisible", so you could shade the sectors where these sprites are located to a darked value that would work well with sprites.
  • I really liked the design of flooded toilet/bathroom, but some of the water tile sprites were randomly left at different heights, which looked a bit clumsy and would have been easy to fix.

Congratulations on another release!

View PostAleks, on 15 May 2021 - 02:05 AM, said:

Played the 3rd map and I really liked it - although got confused at the same place like Slacker. I loved the puzzles there, but lack of indication was a bit off-putting and I had to lurk in here to see what I'm missing.

Spoiler

I liked how pretty much the whole base was recreated within the map and looked very consistent. The flooded rooms were a nice touch, also the sounds of fighting between aliens and EDF soldiers were cool (kinda reminded me of my own Freezing Fear level from Back in Business :D ). It all gave the map a nice touch of being alive. Strong, contrasting shadows are once again a highlight of the map and perhaps the most distinguishable elements of the style you developed. This time the map was much more straightforward IMO (despite there being some paths to choose from here and there and lots of interconnections which worked well) than with more open Penthouse. Also the combat felt a bit too easy, even on Come Get Some I probably didn't even get below 150 HP at all (not sure if the 2 happy meals with atomic healths right at the start were intentional :P ). Some more design-related nitpicking:
  • The view-aligned and floor-aligned sprites on the outside part take their shade from the sky, so they looked fullbright and kinda ruined the overall nice atmosphere on the place. I know you made the map primarily for Megaton, so no idea if "sprite noshade" (N key in 3D mode) is a thing there - in EDuke this allows you to set any given shade value on these kinds of sprites. Another solution would be setting different shade value on the inner parts of the sky - if the parallaxed sector doesn't touch any non-parallaxed sectors or white walls, it will be "invisible", so you could shade the sectors where these sprites are located to a darked value that would work well with sprites.
  • I really liked the design of flooded toilet/bathroom, but some of the water tile sprites were randomly left at different heights, which looked a bit clumsy and would have been easy to fix.

Congratulations on another release!

The two at the beginning weren't intentional and a major whoopsie on my part; I totally forgot those things spawn atomic healths until I was replaying Bank Job the other evening and by then it was already done! :)

Thanks for the tips though, If I'm doing another one of those multi-combinations I'll give it a go, although I'm trying to keep the same style throughout but not recycle ideas too much if that makes sense. I'll definitely by trying the N key trick though, I never even knew that was a thing! Would've helped a little in Penthouse where I had the sprite shadowing in the second station. Although I'm doing everything within the Megaton edition, I'm actually using Mapster32. The Build editor that came with the game was completely broken, but copying the Mapster exe into the appropriate Steam folder and renaming it Build.exe worked a treat.

Ok, I give up :) Anyone know of a way I can make a force field come on via a touchplate? I've tried setting up a shooter hoping it would activate a switch, but no joy.

This is a small black magic gate logic exercise, but it can be set up.

Here's what I got.
Place a touchplate at the beginning of the level that sets off an SE36 shooting at a target with a lotag of desired field and hitag 1. Place the target behind the door. The door should close right after target gets hit by a shrinkray shooter. This little set up will DEACTIVATE the forcefield you want unbeknownst to player. Set up the next touchplate in the desired area where you want the field to come up. This touchplate shoud open the SAME door and activate ANOTHER SE36, which will shoot at the SAME target, which will in turn ACTIVATE the forcefiled.
All touchplates should be set to hitag 1.

An example map:

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 05 June 2021 - 04:01 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

Should work with SE36 shooting at target instead of switch, try it out:

Oh, Mister Sinister already beat me to it :D Although the method is slightly different, don't need extra door in the case here.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Aleks: 05 June 2021 - 04:05 AM

What the hell, I don't even know which one is more backwards. Build engine hit boxes be damned.
If you want to use Aleks method, which is slightly less resource hungry, you should set up two touchplates and make them 1-time only via hitag 1 value.

Wow, that took some serious teeth grinding, but finally think I've found a setup that works! This engine can be such a chore sometimes, lol! Thanks for the help, didn't think of using those target sprites instead of switches, but good to know it works.

User is offline   duke3d.exe 

Cool maps, but I had to look up which buttons to press on the third one.

User is offline   Aleks 

Seems Mikko didn't find the binary button puzzle too amusing :P https://msdn.duke4.n...acredground.php

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options