Duke4.net Forums: Penthouse Paradise bug fixes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Penthouse Paradise bug fixes

User is offline   Avenger 

I've read that there is a version of this where the CON file was fixed of the bugs such as the opening area where you can't exit back to the surface of the water and the misalignment of the floor in the first building with the tables among others.

Does anyone know what happened to it?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

https://forums.duke4...se-win-version/

this is the only fix I'm aware of

edit: maybe this one has the fixes. I don't know
https://www.moddb.co...house-paradise1

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 April 2021 - 09:27 PM

View PostForge, on 10 April 2021 - 09:20 PM, said:

https://forums.duke4...se-win-version/

this is the only fix I'm aware of

edit: maybe this one has the fixes. I don't know
https://www.moddb.co...house-paradise1

The first post links to a dead download link.

The second post by NightFright mentions he fixed it but not where to find the download...

Edit: Just tried the moddb link and it's the uncorrected version.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 10 April 2021 - 10:43 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

For what it's worth you can still exit the water. You just have to do it from the shallow area. For whatever reason I'm pretty sure the non-Atomic version of the map does not have that issue.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostAvenger, on 10 April 2021 - 10:34 PM, said:

The second post by NightFright mentions he fixed it but not where to find the download...

you have to download the huge addon compilation pack that nightfall made. Then if you simply want the fixed map, you'll have to dig through the files until you find the penthouse.grp file, extract it, then extract the map out of the grp into the original folder where you currently have the pp release installed

EDuke32 Addon Compilation v3.14 (635 MB)
http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

here. i already have it downloaded & not everyone has a grp extractor, so I took a few mins to help you out

Attached File  PARADISE.zip (95.46K)
Number of downloads: 397

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 April 2021 - 06:25 AM

View PostForge, on 11 April 2021 - 06:14 AM, said:

you have to download the huge addon compilation pack that nightfall made. Then if you simply want the fixed map, you'll have to dig through the files until you find the penthouse.grp file, extract it, then extract the map out of the grp into the original folder where you currently have the pp release installed

EDuke32 Addon Compilation v3.14 (635 MB)
http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

here. i already have it downloaded & not everyone has a grp extractor, so I took a few mins to help you out

Attachment PARADISE.zip

Appreciate the help.

I placed the paradise.map file inside my Penthouse Paradise folder along side the GRP and CON files, started the game with Eduke32 and there's no change.

Do I need to reference the file with a cammand line parameter? Or do I have to physically replace the map file inside the GRP?

User is offline   jkas789 

I fucking love you Forge. I love Penthouse paradise but this has been pissing me off forever.

As thanks, have a choccy milk on me:

Attached Image: caleblefthand.png

This post has been edited by jkas789: 11 April 2021 - 07:16 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostAvenger, on 11 April 2021 - 04:51 PM, said:

Do I need to reference the file with a cammand line parameter? Or do I have to physically replace the map file inside the GRP?

there are two version of pp.
Are you using the one with all the files loose in a folder (the original from'97), or are you using one with a grp file?

if you are using the one with the grp file, then yes, you have to replace the map file inside the grp. Dropping a loose map file in the same folder as the grp will not over-ride what's inside the grp
(technically you can also extract everything out of the grp, replace the map, & play with all the files loose)

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View Postjkas789, on 11 April 2021 - 07:13 PM, said:

I fucking love you Forge. I love Penthouse paradise but this has been pissing me off forever.

thanks. I fixed a few things for nf's compilation, but i think nightfright is the one that fixed the map

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 April 2021 - 10:11 AM

View PostForge, on 12 April 2021 - 06:32 AM, said:

there are two version of pp.
Are you using the one with all the files loose in a folder (the original from'97), or are you using one with a grp file?

if you are using the one with the grp file, then yes, you have to replace the map file inside the grp. Dropping a loose map file in the same folder as the grp will not over-ride what's inside the grp
(technically you can also extract everything out of the grp, replace the map, & play with all the files loose)

I bought my copy from zoom platform so all you get is a GRP and CON file for each expansion.

I used an online tool to replace the .MAP file inside the GRP, replaced the GRP with the new one inside my Penthouse Paradise folder and there's still no change when loading the game with EDuke32...

User is offline   Forge 

i looked at the differences between the maps & the one I pulled from nightfright's compilation has been edited and fixed.

he did rename it though.
the original map name is PENTHOUS.MAP
nf renamed his to PARADISE.MAP

so if you "replaced" the map you may have only added it to the grp, not overwritten the original.
rename paradise to penthous and try again.

and don't load from a save. just putting that out there.

also I'm sus of an online grp file manager. I prefer using xgroup by proasm. Maybe it's intended use is for shadow warrior, but it works with all build grp files that i've tried it on
http://www.proasm.com/sw/xgroup.html

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 April 2021 - 11:14 PM

View PostForge, on 12 April 2021 - 11:09 PM, said:

i looked at the differences between the maps & the one I pulled from nightfright's compilation has been edited and fixed.

he did rename it though.
the original map name is PENTHOUS.MAP
nf renamed his to PARADISE.MAP

so if you "replaced" the map you may have only added it to the grp, not overwritten the original.
rename paradise to penthous and try again.

and don't load from a save. just putting that out there.

also I'm sus of an online grp file manager. I prefer using xgroup by proasm. Maybe it's intended use is for shadow warrior, but it works with all build grp files that i've tried it on
http://www.proasm.com/sw/xgroup.html

I used the tool you linked to. I extracted all the files from the GRP except the old PENTHOUS.MAP file to a folder. I added the new file you provided and renamed it to PENTHOUS.MAP then created a new GRP file. I then replaced this new GRP with the old one in the Penthouse paradise directory. I started EDuke32 with a brand new game and the same issues still occur. There is literally no change from the previous one which would lead me to believe that this map file is exactly the same as the old one.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Avenger: 13 April 2021 - 06:53 PM

User is offline   Forge 

that is the correct map

the original has this overlap in the corner

Attached Image: penthouse1.png

the fix doesn't

Attached Image: paradise1.png

if you're still getting problems, then there's nothing I can do for you

View PostForge, on 14 April 2021 - 06:45 AM, said:

that is the correct map

the original has this overlap in the corner

Attachment penthouse1.png

the fix doesn't

Attachment paradise1.png

if you're still getting problems, then there's nothing I can do for you

Did you try the GRP I attached?

What was your result with it? Are you able to surface from the water in the first area with the sub?

Is the floor texture in the first indoor area with the 3 tables still misaligned?

User is offline   Forge 

the fixed version also has these extra SE's removed, to fix the no surface issue.

Attached Image: capt0000.png

if you still can't surface, you're not replacing the map properly.

try renaming the fixed map to the other map in your grp file PPAKPENT.MAP
(change the paradise.map name to PPAKPENT.MAP and put that in the grp)

i'm not calling you a liar, but brah, I'm not there looking over your shoulder to see what you're launching, what version you have, and which map gets used

This post has been edited by Forge: 14 April 2021 - 07:21 AM

View PostForge, on 14 April 2021 - 07:14 AM, said:

the fixed version also has these extra SE's removed, to fix the no surface issue.

Attachment capt0000.png

if you still can't surface, you're not replacing the map properly.

try renaming the fixed map to the other map in your grp file PPAKPENT.MAP
(change the paradise.map name to PPAKPENT.MAP and put that in the grp)

i'm not calling you a liar, but brah, I'm not there looking over your shoulder to see what you're launching, what version you have, and which map gets used

That was the solution.

You had previously told me to replace the incorrect MAP file.

Thank you.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostAvenger, on 15 April 2021 - 04:17 AM, said:

You had previously told me to replace the incorrect MAP file.

true
i'm sorry
it happens when trying to help someone blindly and you don't know what version of duke3d they have, and which of the dozens of versions of pp they have.
i falsely assumed that if you had a version with multiple map files, you would have figured out on your own that if replacing one didn't work, then you'd replace the other.

i sincerely do apologize for taking up so much of your time and keeping you from enjoying the map

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 April 2021 - 07:23 AM

View PostForge, on 15 April 2021 - 07:04 AM, said:

true
i'm sorry
it happens when trying to help someone blindly and you don't know what version of duke3d they have, and which of the dozens of versions of pp they have.
i falsely assumed that if you had a version with multiple map files, you would have figured out on your own that if replacing one didn't work, then you'd replace the other.

i sincerely do apologize for taking up so much of your time and keeping you from enjoying the map

I mean no disrespect. I truly do appreciate your help and we ultimately did find the solution but you were insinuating that I was doing something wrong which was contributing to the problem when that wasn't the case. I have far more of a Doom background editing WAD's with slade then I do GRP's for build engine games.

Either way, I'm glad this is resolved and thanks for your help. Hopefully the thread acts as a reference for someone else searching for a fix 5-10 years down the road.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options