Duke4.net Forums: CON code saved game loading bug... - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CON code saved game loading bug...

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I discovered a weird bug. Let's say you have a saved game with different (in my case older) CON code from the selected mod. You load the saved game. Then, you start a new game. The new game will have at least some of the old code from the saved game. It appears that it is trying to load the newer code on top of the code from the saved game (I get errors complaining of duplicate events when I start the new game after having loaded the old game). The new uses display code from the CONs in the saved game; I'm not sure about actor code and other stuff since I didn't go that far.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Saved games overwrite code compiled at startup with the code that was in use when the save was made. The only way to get the current version of the compiled code back is to restart EDuke32. This isn't a bug, this is how saved games work.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTX, on Jul 10 2009, 04:19 PM, said:

Saved games overwrite code compiled at startup with the code that was in use when the save was made. The only way to get the current version of the compiled code back is to restart EDuke32. This isn't a bug, this is how saved games work.

That's interesting. So if I wanted to make my code difficult to rip for some reason, I could distribute a saved game instead of distributing CONs. I make a .bat the loads the saved game (which is at a point where it immediately ends and goes to the main menu). Then, if someone starts a new game, it will be using the code from the saved game. Not that I would do that, but it should work.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Sure, right up until someone just asks for the original CONs (which you're legally required to provide, as they were released under the GPL). You would still need to distribute CONs with the mod to set up the episodes and levels and everything however.

User is offline   NY00123 

Another issue is that a saved game is quite sensitive regarding its format.
It depends on the version of EDuke32, as well as the operating system.
You'd need one for Windows, one for OS X (rhoenie's build for instance), one for Linux i386, one for Linux x86_64, etc.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

What if you wrote your CONs 100% from scratch?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on Jul 11 2009, 04:59 PM, said:

What if you wrote your CONs 100% from scratch?

Then they wouldn't have to be GPL.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options