• Attached Image: duke0005666.png
  • Attached Image: capt0002.png
  • Attached Image: capt0001.png
  • Attached Image: capt0000.png
  • Attached Image: capt0003.png
  • Attached Image: capt0004.png
  • Attached Image: capt0006.png

User is offline   Seb Luca 

The "BS" logo looks a bit cheap, but military vehicles and old wagons are very well imagined.
I also like this apocalyptic atmosphere! :D Well done !

User is offline   Sanek 

Cool! There's been a lack of releases lately, so every new map is valuable. Reported to Mikko about it.
I'll play it this weekend myself, it reminds me of D.C. addon and also James Duncan's maps for some reason.

User is online   ck3D 

Style is looking great, can't wait to play this when I get back home from my current trip next week. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the release!

About the BS logo I don't find that it looks cheap personally, but maybe pal 16 would make it blend into the texture a little better. Also as far as I'm concerned in such cases of use of wall text, I like giving the sprites the exact shade value the wall has unless it's a neon sign (then it's getting negative shade values) or you want the sprites to act as a visual hint to something (for a secret place I usually offset them all by +3, for a more important area the player wouldn't want to miss I give them all a shade value of 0). Then once your sprites have that uniform value that looks correct, you can offset each letter incrementally depending on where the closest light source is which is a different style than classic style but I find looks really good if done right.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 25 February 2021 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostSanek, on 25 February 2021 - 09:32 AM, said:

I'll play it this weekend myself, it reminds me of D.C. addon and also James Duncan's maps for some reason.

Definitely has to be the sky and texturing, similar to James Duncan's maps indeed somehow :o

Anyway, congratulations on the release, man! The screenshots look cool, nice work on the vehicles, but I especially dig the railway station with all the structural details you'd put there, looks marvelous especially when contrasted with that sky. Looking forward to play it, will give more detailed feedback then ;)

User is offline   slacker1 

Just did a play through of it now.

That was a really great map! Took me a little over 17 min. Got all the kills but missed all the secrets. :D

I don't want to spoil anything so I'll be vague. The intro part was done very nicely. I sort of wish I had a bit of a better view during it but the way it is works really well as it gives you a sense of "where's this going?"

It was also nice see a post office. I feel like even though there are so many DN3d textures/sprites for post offices because of "Going Postal" in ep4, you rarely see them pop up in user maps. (Maybe just a hold over from back in the day where just having v1.3 was more common? dunno)

All in all, really great work. I'll have to give it another play through tomorrow when I have some more time to explore everything more instead of getting a quick play through in before bed.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Just played this, I agree it's a great map! Great attention to detail, especially the train station and the train tracks are very well done.0
I also enjoyed exploring the post office, it's always good to see a fully realized indoor location (instead of having just 1 room with a keycard and calling it a day).

Vehicles also look very good, in fact this reminds me a bit of Alejandro's Blackened.
Gameplay starts off a bit slow, but really picks up in the second half. Especially enjoyed the bigger fire fights on the streets.
The opening sequence was also very well done, great way to start a map.

Found 2 out of 3 secrets, I know where the 3rd one is but I haven't figured out how to get there yet. Which actually drove me a bit insane, hopefully I'll get it in my next playthrough. :D

User is offline   Aleks 

Played it last night and it's a very good level indeed! I also agree with Merlijn, the railway theme along with very detailed and good looking architecture around the station reminds me of some old Alejandro's maps, Blackened and I think Another Timeless Night as well. Also, I can't help but draw parallels to Preto Murara's Downtown Journey episode released last fall, this one could easily be fit into it (although was much longer than any of DJ levels).

The intro sequence was very impressive, it went so smoothly and seamless, probably the most elaborate train sequence I've seen in Duke yet. All the details and spriteworks at the train station were very impressive, also from the functional side it worked well.
Spoiler

I would also assume there's a sequel coming due to the "cliffhanger" type of ending we got here ;)

Besides from train station (which was by far my favourite part of the map, and I loved how interconnected and entangled it was all around the level), the general good and detailed architecture and vehicle builds which I always dig, I really liked how for a change the final area - the adult magazine/video store - was created with more simplicity, in a good way. It almost felt nostalgic for some of the very first user levels I've played back around 1997, no idea if it's the combination of the textures (especially the black/white tiles for the floor), but the vibe I got there was particularly strong :o One of the highlights of the map for me was very creative, innovative and thoughtful use of textures, some stuff like hoses instead of extinguishers looked quite fresh.

I really like the combat too, same as Merlijn especially around the streets with larger groups of enemies. The ending battle around the EDF tank was pretty crazy, in a fun way! Found only the secret with shrinker and all the supplies which did come in handy during normal gameplay, then the other 2 when I went back to explore from the final area - they all seemed pretty fair.

For some nitpicking, I think the map could really use some polishing. It's very good already, which is even more why I think it's a shame that there's some unpolished stuff. More wall-shading (and perhaps generally stronger contrast shadows all around, if possible) and more consistence in shading (for example, some sprites seemed to be left fullbright, while the whole room was darker, like in the red key ticket office room). Also some signs could use a different font I think (the name of the station using the red menu font stood out a bit) and some text (like the briefing at the beginning) really could use another read as there were plenty of typos (also tip: you can just place one letter sprite and then press ctrl+T on it in 3D mode to start typing the text normally instead of pasting each letter sprite, saves tons of time!). There's been some more stuff like swing door getting stuck in the wall or a sprite box at the post office that for some reason had only the top surface (?). I think fixing all that stuff wouldn't take much time (compared to how long you surely spent on making the map in the first place) and it would really benefit from this final touch.

BTW, Romeo, do you work on a railway station (or perhaps at a post office), since it seemed there was high fidelity with how these locations were recreated in your map, with all the little details. Or have you used some photos/blueprints as an inspiration?

User is offline   pavigna 

Wow! This looks really cool! It does indeed remind me of Preto Murara's Downtown Journey episode, and it has a really nice vibe to it, and the contrast between the level's lighting and the sky looks great, gameplay also flows really well, all around a good level. my favorite part is the railway area, it has the best atmosphere and the amount of detail is really good.

Keep making these great levels!

User is offline   Romeo 

BTW, Romeo, do you work on a railway station (or perhaps at a post office), since it seemed there was high fidelity with how these locations were recreated in your map, with all the little details. Or have you used some photos/blueprints as an inspiration?
[/quote]

I work in the hospital. :lol: I was inspired more by the views of the railway station in the city of Kaliningrad (yes I am from Russia) and a little from the city of Seattle.
the same is true for the game, the final station. I also left a reference to it at the beginning of the map. I eat a little bit from the map timeless.

Yes, I have always been fond of trains since childhood

For now, I'm planning to continue this map.

This post has been edited by Romeo: 02 March 2021 - 08:57 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Haven't been able to play but I must say, I was impressed by the technical and clever usage of textures/sprites without being overly busy or detail crazy. Very slick looking stuff.

User is offline   Sanek 

Finally played it.
I liked this map, design and gameplay-wise it's quite good. The train sttation is a great set-piece. The only thing that I would add is more shadows here and there, as the map looks uniformly bright - like, there's some lighting but it's not enough IMO.
There's some moderately high amounts of powerful enemeis but it's not too hard. I finished it in about 10-15 mins which is just right.

User is offline   MC84 

Really nice map - as others have said, the intro sequence was really well done! I also like that you've given each idea 'space to breathe' - it shows that you put a lot of thought into each location, not just a few pointless decorations. Design and texturing was also top notch - very restrained choices that are pleasing to the eye. Gameplay had a nice flow - I hate wandering around empty maps trying to figure things out. I also agree with previous comment that some bolder sector shading would have pretty much made this map perfect. Great job!

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Wonderful map. I especially love the armored car, very clever use of jeep textures.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options