Duke4.net Forums: Looking for some Boss ending maps - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for some Boss ending maps

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I could use some help. I'm trying to find some quality vanilla Duke 3D user levels that end in boss fights. As in, pal 0 bosses that end the game when you kill them. I've got a few already but I'm looking to add to my collection as part of a project.

User is offline   Sanek 

Loke's Apprehension Arizona and Baptized in Lunar Dust both end up in a terrific boss fights, quality-wise it's as good as it gets.
JFCBP2 also ends up with a boss fight. Dark Place 5. Lost World have it too.

My map Winterfall also have a boss fight in the end, though I dunno if it meets the quality criteria of yours. :P

Come to think of it, boss fights is a somewhat rare occasion in user maps, as I have trouble remembering maps with it right now. :unsure:

User is offline   NNC 

A notable level being the fire station map in JJ Duke Nukem 3D episode 2. That's a weird one, as the ""episode"" is supposed to be set in space, at least the first two levels were going to that direction. Then level 3 is just an unfinished scrap in space, and level 4 is a full city map with an Overlord ending (I actually had problems with this Overlord as it sometimes disappeared in my old computer). Episode 3 is like E2M4, dark Hollywood Holocaust type cities, some levels are better than others, some even gives you vibes from the original atmosphere (with the borrowed, and sometimes misused Shadow Warrior city sounds), also it has a typical Stadium fight with the Emperor, so I guess it's not that interesting for you, not as the one in episode 2.

Other than that... I don't know. There was that weirdo level back then, 2121 AD, it has a giant oversized Battlelord wandering in that large city.

User is offline   NNC 

More I can think of:

Alien Planet X64-2 by Maarten van Oostrum had a pal 0 Overlord at the start, but you have to avoid it and go outside to finish the rest of the map.

I also remember a very old map with an Overlord at the start, it was an alien base probably, you had to go back to kill him, forgot the title.

And there were some quality vanilla episodes with boss endings, Daikarin, ADG episode, Lost Highway and others.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 16 January 2021 - 02:49 AM

User is online   ck3D 

^ Old map you're talking about has to be Lair, it instantly sprung to mind too when seeing this thread. There's another old map I liked too but can't remember the name of right now that featured a Cycloid 'warping' out of a room halfway through the level and then you'd face it 'again' later (but it really was two different Cycloids) that also did.

Out of my own released maps, Siebenpolis, Wide Awake and Poison Heart have acceptable pal 0 boss endings.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 16 January 2021 - 05:25 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

There's a pretty good city map called Galbadia, made by Mikko, Methy, Steambull and CK3D. It ends with an Overlord fight in the main street area.
Link: http://www.scent-88....ia/galbadia.php

Then there's the 4 alternative boss maps at the end of Metropolian Mayhem, there's at least 2 that could be of use I think (the rooftop fight with the cycloid and the one at the Stadium).

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 16 January 2021 - 05:38 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

I supposed that Dan's looking for single user maps instead of episodes, which certainly have a boss in the end. But if these episodes were originally a map series (like Dark Places) they can be added too.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

probably maps that nobody is going to have an issue with if they have to be edited / adjusted, or included in a compilation style release with modified game play

just guessing, but it is Dan that's asking

User is offline   NNC 

If he wants single maps, than Lair would be a nice bet (thanks ck3d). Also 2121AD. And if optional bosses count, X64-2 Alien Planet.

User is offline   Sanek 

2121AD have custom art and con files, which is not exactly a vanilla type of map. Still a great map, though

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostSanek, on 16 January 2021 - 06:46 AM, said:

I supposed that Dan's looking for single user maps instead of episodes, which certainly have a boss in the end. But if these episodes were originally a map series (like Dark Places) they can be added too.

I'm assuming this is for Dan's revamp of War of Attrition in Alien Armageddon, and the original contained Metropolitan Mayhem maps, so I think as long as they use vanilla assets it should be fine even if they're part of an episode?

So with that in mind, I think that the "The Bitch" level from MM is also viable, since it's pretty short.

Red Sun ends in a fight against a Battlelord, Roch Island can end in a fight against an Overlord (you're presented with a choice to either end the level or go fight the boss at the end) so I don't know if that would count (without alterations, anyway), Slick ends with an Overlord, Devil Visit from Lost Highway has a Battlelord, Pipeline's "Mothership" ends with a Battlelord, I think Freedom ended with a Battlelord? (It's been a very long time) Hibernal Solstice ends with an Emperor, Duke's Day Off ends with an Emperor...

I'm trying to exclude maps from WoA and Duke Forces, so I apologize if I mentioned any such or skipped some.

There are also two I know of but I can't remember their names. One was a medieval/gothic canyon type level that ended with an Overlord, the other was some kind of arctic/aquatic base that ended with a Battlelord.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! It has been very helpful.

User is online   ck3D 

View Postck3D, on 16 January 2021 - 05:23 AM, said:

There's another old map I liked too but can't remember the name of right now that featured a Cycloid 'warping' out of a room halfway through the level and then you'd face it 'again' later (but it really was two different Cycloids) that also did.

Just for the sake of completion and because remembering the name of that map had been bugging me since that post, it's Undesirable Elements by Puritan. Would actually be cool to replay again, I have some sweet memories of that one and it's a bit rare as it's not on MSDN so I suspect some people might have missed it. I have a couple of maps like this that left a big impression on me the first time I played them and yet I keep forgetting their names throughout the years.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 14 February 2021 - 10:23 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options