Duke4.net Forums: My Story - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Story  "A reminiscent account of first coming into contack with Duke Nukem"

For anyone who cares, I thought I'd post something on the forums that wasn't just a pseudo-mod request or questions about how to get into using the Build Engine. Something a little more supportive and something of a small mystery to me. Sorry not a big modder so I can't really contribute in such a meaningful way.

So, when I was a kid (young teen maybe?) it was Christmas at my grandmas and among the other things that me and my brother got was an N64 game, Duke Nukem (can't recall if we got the N64 this same year, I think we did). My uncle Steve had gotten it for us.

It was a new experience for me and my brother, our first FPS, N64 was pretty new then and FPSs on councils weren't all that common. The action, the Aliens and the swearing. we loved that shit. You gotta go back or imagine if you're not old enough, the most lively video game hero we'd seen before Duke was a 16 bit character on Sega Genesis called Vectorman with catch phrases like "What a mess' and "Overkill". To two young boys that was pretty damn fun to hear duke say shit like "Damn, those alien scum are gonna pay for shooting up my ride".

Now most of us remember the gameplay, the guns the aliens, the babes etc... etc... but have you ever played two player Duke Nukem 64 on Damn I'm Good??? It's chaos, a total two-player party fiesta of carnage, you can't lose, you can die but you respawn at the beginning of the level with 48 pistol rounds. The enemies can't die unless you destroy their corpses (which you can directly attack with non-explosive weapons in 64) we used to do shit like round all the enemies in a level up, sometimes you had to kill them so they could walk past invisible barriers only to them (does anyone have any guesses why this happens) but we'd put them in clusters constantly dying in the process. Duke corpses everywhere (though if I recall they explode when you respawn). Just to mine them for fucking guns and ammo, Pharmacies we called them. We were/are stupid, ya know like farm...stop looking at me like that.
We got those bastards in large numbers so we could kill them over and over again, just a massive field of aliens and death, death for everyone, the aliens, the level and the dukes. Each level all the way through the game we pulled this kind of fuckery. Hotel Hell has 2 Battlelord Sentries and an Overlord Sentry. It gets stupid. Oh I'm sorry did you accidentally convince the Overlord to wander over to spawn so that now when you die there he is with a barrage of missiles ready to spawn kill you again. Battlelords backing him up, your trying to survive but not let their bodies be destroyed. You have any idea how hard it is to keep these shit heads alive? With the explosive grenades of Battlelords and Overlord missile volleys going on. It's about freaking impossible to control. Endless Duke screams as you dive into rockets trying to take one for Mr. President the stupid Overlord, murderer of all the allies that he surveys. Pig Cop and Trooper guts raining from the sky as these beasts of wanton death march over anything that gets between them and a never ending stream of respawning dead Dukes.

This game was lit, it had it all and you could play it for days not getting bored.

Now for the mystery, my uncle, Steve, told us about how he came across this glorious game. He's a pilot for an airline and he works from Texas, he said he knew 'the guy' or 'one of the guys' (I'm paraphrasing from memory here) who made this game. He was invited to their mansion when they were celebrating (I think the games release or something like that) He described a fountain with fucking wine being pissed out by a little boy. I mean I love this shit, how ridiculously uncouth and violently American and honestly akin to something you'd see in a parody of a Bond villain's house. I've always wondered how he met one of the guys on that team, I'm pretty sure he was just a passing acquaintance, someone they invited while being drunk on the awesomeness of striking it big. I imagine him there at that place, not really so deep in video game culture to know the legends he was hanging out with. I mean he's not stupid, he's at a mansion, he knows their important but I doubt he knows their names or anything (to be fair I only recognize a few). But here he was with the guys that developed one of the last big icons of the 90s, the last decade with any kind of real flavor. All at the end before the world turned weird, bleak and grey. Just a few short years before 9/11. What a party it must have been...

If I recall, he was invited by the man whose mansion it was. If anyone here remembers this party with the stupid wine pissing little boy, whose house that was or if by some miracle my uncle Steve, I'd love to hear some details. Anything you remember. If I have details wrong I'm not surprised its a 23 year old story (or so, not sure what year I got the game or when he went there exactly).

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

User is offline   jkas789 

...ok I'm gonna give you a + point just for the effort. Even though I'm sure this is half a copypasta.

Anyways if you are feeling nostalgic for Duke 64 you can always play the game in Rednukem. You just need to drop the N64 Ron into the Rednukem installation bfolder.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View Postendianprime, on 21 December 2020 - 01:36 PM, said:

sometimes you had to kill them so they could walk past invisible barriers only to them (does anyone have any guesses why this happens)

Some enemies are flagged to not leave their sector, but that is removed when an enemy respawns.

View Postjkas789, on 22 December 2020 - 08:40 AM, said:

...ok I'm gonna give you a + point just for the effort. Even though I'm sure this is half a copypasta.

Anyways if you are feeling nostalgic for Duke 64 you can always play the game in Rednukem. You just need to drop the N64 Ron into the Rednukem installation bfolder.

Ah, I had to look up what a copypasta is, I'm not much of a forum guy. Nah, I did try to make it interesting though, aimed for humorous I suppose. As for Duke 64 on Rednukem Obi-That's...WhyI'mhere.gif lol

View PostFox, on 22 December 2020 - 08:55 AM, said:

Some enemies are flagged to not leave their sector, but that is removed when an enemy respawns.

Ahhhh, interesting. This flag can be super annoying in levels like Death Row, just cross the fuckin trip line... Fine, don't, walk up to it and shoot me... a lot, while I try and coax you. Posted Image In reality it makes sense, I mean logically they placed the damn things there, so they're not going to trip them but gah, I just wanna blow up a piggy with a trip mine, if nothing else for convenience of movement and not spending an explosive.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options