Duke4.net Forums: The speed running Documentary Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The speed running Documentary Thread

User is offline   jkas789 

So I like to watch speed running channels in my spare time (after I finish ruining peoples lives, as all doctors inevitably do), and I gotta say, the story of "The Quest to Beat Matt Turk" is freaking wholesome. It's the story of how the new guard of the Mike Tysons Punch Out speed running community comes to discover their predecessors and struggle to beat the world records of yore. It is so freaking wholesome, that it managed to bring a small ray of joy into my cold, dark, calculating heart.

It's a long watch though (almost an hour) however if you are interested in speed running lore this is IMO definitely a must watch.

Fun fact, the one who made the video is the holder for the current speed run world record in the Mike Tyson fight and he also managed to receive a video from the Legend himself Matt "Motherfucking" Turk.

User is online   ck3D 

I'm a big fan of Summoning Salt, not even particularly into most video game content but his presentation of the history of speedrunning through the prism of each game is fascinating, he has great narrating skills and ways to vulgarize some of the most technical aspects; it's almost an oddity these days to see a quality channel blow up. I've been catching myself watching his full docs on games I'm not even too familiar with, but Punch-Out especially hits hard (ahem) as I was super into Super Punch-Out on the SNES as a kid, I think I even posted another one of Salt's videos covering that series on here recently actually (the one recounting the history of blindfolded Punch-Out). That he owns WR's on this game himself only makes it that much cooler.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 17 December 2020 - 07:37 AM

I know right? His videos have also been getting better as time passes! His most recent video on Mario Kart 64 had me by the edge of the seat.

I never got to play super punch out on the snes (I did not even know it was a thing until much later on) but I was also super into MTPO in the Wii (the emulated original, not the remake) and when I came across this video I was floored on the amount of history this game has.

User is online   ck3D 

Oh I know, back when I was into Super Punch-Out I wasn't even aware there was a franchise and a predecessor to be honest, originally it was just that one random cartridge my uncle had laying around and he sucked at the game so he didn't like it; ended up trading him another cartridge of a super shitty game for his kids (can't remember which one) for it, everybody was happy. No Internet at the time to tell me that it really wasn't some obscure game, I would just genuinely enjoy it for what it was and didn't even have a reason to care for hype. From what I've seen the original Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out essentially play the exact same, just with fancier graphics on the SNES and the NES version looks like it's harder (I never played it I don't think). Kind of as though they had remade it for something like Super Mario All Stars. I've never played the other remakes or ports.

I actually found out about the speedrunning history of that game via Salt, by that time I had grasped the franchise but didn't know how hot it actually was in some very dedicated circles. It resonated with me because I was super into trying the fastest times possible for each fight as a teenager on my scale.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 17 December 2020 - 09:20 AM

I have played both games and I think the nes punch out is harder.

I actually found out about the speedrunning history of that game via Salt, by that time I had grasped the franchise but didn't know how hot it actually was in some very dedicated circles. It resonated with me because I was super into trying the fastest times possible for each fight as a teenager on my scale.

All his videos are very informative. The Portal one has also a lot of crazy stuff going on there.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I've been a longtime watcher of Summoning Salt, myself. That's probably one of my favorites, too.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Karl Jobst's channel is pretty good.

View PostJimmy, on 17 December 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

Karl Jobst's channel is pretty good.

Yup. Also rwhitegoose, although his channel has a lot more Golden Eye speedrunning lore/content than other games. Lowest Percent has some interesting videos too.

Summoning Salt dropped a new video, this time about the History of Super Mario 64 16 Star World Records.

Buckle up bois because this one is almost 51 minutes.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

So is this now just the official Summoning Salt thread?

i mean i'm down

I mean, I guess? AFAIK we don't have a official speedrunning thread. We could make this into the speedrunning thread. Karl Jobst and Goose's Gamer Folklore also make pretty good content relating to speedruns

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjkas789, on 22 August 2021 - 09:39 PM, said:

I mean, I guess? AFAIK we don't have a official speedrunning thread. We could make this into the speedrunning thread. Karl Jobst and Goose's Gamer Folklore also make pretty good content relating to speedruns

I took the liberty of changing the thread title. Also, I second your recommendation for Karl Jobst videos, I quite enjoy his. I haven't checked out Goose yet.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

These are entertaining watch. Although having been an active runner at one point and heavily involved in the scene, the overly dramatic and romanticized presentation does crack me up a bit. But it's all good entertainment and respectfully recapped which is what matters the most.

All right then. So let's start from little guy to big guns:

Goose is mainly know for talking Golden Eye and Perfect Dark speed run lore (which is very interesting given the limitations of the console they play in) and one video I can recommend of his is this one talking about the time PerfectAce sweeped all the WR for PerfectDark

There is also this channel called Lowest Percent. Which as the name implies talks about lowest percent speed runs. Perhaps the most hilarious of their videos is this one talking about Lowest % in Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess which involves the "speedrunner" leaving the game going for 17 hours straight to get through a door (can't insert more media player thingy in comment so imma link it).

In regards to Karl Jobst, one of his recent videos is pretty darn interesting, as it is about the history of damage-less deathless Dark souls speed running. Let that sink in.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 23 August 2021 - 01:16 PM

So, it turns out a new Mario Kart 64 shortcut has been discovered after 25 years!

Also the Golden Eye speedrunning community keep breaking the game even more. I swear at this point the game is just crying in a corner.

My link

User is online   Phredreeke 

I wish we got videos like these for the Build games.

This is about a month old but not on a major channel so you might have missed it

Another older video on a smaller channel

Oh damn those videos are pretty interesting indeed. It would be nice to see someone make a speedrunning history video of Duke Nukem 3D.

"How Speedrunners Beat the Brawl Ocarina of Time Demo"

Super interesting video, however I understand fuck all what they are doing.

Two videos have dropped:

This post has been edited by jkas789: 23 November 2021 - 03:43 PM

Karl Jobst has posted a video showing his top 5 speedrunning moments of 2021.

It never ceases to amaze me the dedication this people have. :)

A video about the... competitive? Guitar Hero community.

It blows my mind that this actually exists.

A video about why people don't like to speed run King's Bounty 3

User is online   ck3D 

Just woke up to the latest Summoning Salt upload and it's fucking Super Punch Out!!, I'm stoked as this always was one of my favorite games (if Duke 3D is #1, SPO has to be #2), just about to dive in:

This post has been edited by ck3D: 12 February 2022 - 10:35 PM

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SUMMONING SAAAAAAAAAAALT YEAH!

NEW MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH-OUT WORLD RECORD BY SUMMONING SALT LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nice one Phredreeke! I really enjoyed that video.

A trio of videos documenting Diablo 2 speedrunning

https://www.youtube....h?v=442RKdzjU_E

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options