Duke4.net Forums: ROTATING SECTOR QUESTION - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ROTATING SECTOR QUESTION

User is offline   Mark 

I want to make a rotating sector that is switch activated, not sure what type yet, and it will activate only once and spin 90 degrees then stop and stay there. Is there an example of this in one of the vanilla maps so I can see how its done?

User is offline   ck3D 

I made a switch-based rotating sector puzzle in one of my maps not too long ago, I'm not too familiar with rotating sectors yet I managed to pull it off first try using the convex door tutorial (as my effect didn't need the sector to rise, only to spin) : https://infosuite.du...ge=ae_doors_d10

Otherwise the more general rotate-rise sector tutorial is available here: https://infosuite.du...age=ae_rotate_b

Sorry if I'm pointing you in directions that may look a bit obvious. If the one-time activation is your actual issue, I'd just close a door sector in front of the switch with a Gspeed in the 16000+ value range that gets triggered as soon as said switch is activated, preventing the player from reusing the switch (at least this very one, you could have another switch later in the map if you ever change your mind and want the player to be able to rotate the sector back later) by shooting it again, this implies you'd need to use a shootable switch though.

Normally I'd say you should use a Masterswitch actor for one-time activations (with or without delay) but here the constant possibility for the player to access to the trigger remains a problem unless you make that switch a touchplate with a hi-tag of 1. Remember you can design touchplates that don't have to be triggers; you could make it look like a floor switch of some kind, and since Touchplates will lower the ground of the sector they're in if you place them below ground level, you could make it some sort of one-time, player weight-activated ground switch that sinks a little once they step on it. You might or might not have to have the Touchplate facing down for the player to be able to trigger it from above though (which may or may not ruin the intended feel of the effect).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 13 December 2020 - 10:24 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMark, on 13 December 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

I want to make a rotating sector that is switch activated, not sure what type yet, and it will activate only once and spin 90 degrees then stop and stay there. Is there an example of this in one of the vanilla maps so I can see how its done?

I think this is the simplest solution - you can also change the rotation speed here ofc. The only downside is that the rotation pivot has to be inside the rotating sector (so can't be used for convex doors like in E2L2) and the rotation is always 90 degree (but you said that's what you're aiming for). Also, this won't move sprites - if you need to move sprites or have pivot outside of the sector, then yeah go with ST30 rotating bridge as ck3D suggested. Here's a small map example of what I meant:
Attached File  Mark_rotate.zip (374bytes)
Number of downloads: 158

User is offline   Mark 

I thought I had figured it out. But not quite it seems. I got the switch controlled sector to rotate only 90 degrees. It had to do with the Gspeed sprite value but it's value has the sector spin faster than I wanted but I'll live with it. Also tagging the sector with rotate and rise.

The problem is the 3d wooden bridge model the sector was spinning looses it's clipshape and the player falls thru. I tried rotating the bridge blocking in the clipshape map by 90 degrees but that didn't work. It seems the moving the model this way disables anything in the clipshape map for that model. I suppose I could rotate the bridge in con code but I wanted to do it easily with mapping instead.

This post has been edited by Mark: 13 December 2020 - 09:55 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Ah, a swinging door with the pivot in the middle instead of a corner. Good thinking. I'll try that too but I have a feeling it will mess up the bridge clipshape too.

EDIT: The model will rotate with the rotate/rise sector but will not rotate with Alek's swinging door version. That is expected according to the tutorials.

This post has been edited by Mark: 13 December 2020 - 10:11 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

Ah, if it needs to rotate the sprites as well, then yeah you need normal rotate sectors with ST30. In this case GPSPEED sprite will change the angle of rotation, but the speed will be dependent on it (i.e. the rotation movement will always take the same time, so for larger angles it will spin faster). If the problem is with player falling through the model, then I'd say just put an invisible blocked horizontal flat sprite through the bridge that will ensure the player is not falling through.

User is offline   Mark 

If it was a flat bridge I would use an invisible blocking sprite underneath the bridge. But its an arching bridge with rails and I want that additional blocking like the clipshape map previously provided. I'm wondering if I should post the clipshape issue not working on sectors with certain effects as a bug to fix.

This post has been edited by Mark: 13 December 2020 - 11:08 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

You can create a sector that stops rotating with "rotate reactor sector" fx or using "floor drop", but I'm not sure about activating from a full stop.

User is offline   Mark 

For fun I put a flat blocking sprite on the rotate/rise sector and it also loses it's blocking in game. So its not just a 3d model losing it's clipshape .

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMark, on 13 December 2020 - 11:25 AM, said:

For fun I put a flat blocking sprite on the rotate/rise sector and it also loses it's blocking in game. So its not just a 3d model losing it's clipshape .

This is really weird. Just checked if it works in game and for me it worked just fine - again, attaching a little map with it for you. Maybe the sprite losing blocking might be caused by it somehow appearing outside of the boundaries of its original sector? Did you put relativity bit on the rotating bridge floor?
Attached File  Mark_rotate2.zip (638bytes)
Number of downloads: 160

EDIT: Spelling.

This post has been edited by Aleks: 13 December 2020 - 01:56 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Yes, I used R. The 3d model and the sprite both rotated but neither blocked.

I'll try your next map...

User is offline   Mark 

The problem turned out to be if the rotating sector was too small the overlapping sprite or model would not block. The sector does not have to be as long as the model but at least 1/2 or more. So I have to rethink the base area in the water for the bridge.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options