Duke4.net Forums: Trying how to create custom ending animation - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trying how to create custom ending animation  "I need an advice"

User is offline   Šneček 

Hello I wonder how to create my own final animation. I created 3 ugly very short training maps, i made an episode of them using user.con (with a boss) and i have my own .ANM file from single .PCX pictures. (Size of that pictures is 320x200 for animation and 152x103 for final text according to Battlelord animation frames in Mapster32). I used Animation File Maker tool (pcx2anim) by Christian Mengler from RTCM. So i have a folder with 3 maps, edited user.con (which makes me an episode of those three maps) and i have that MYAN.ANM file in that same subfolder. (I´m talking about eduke32 folder) So, I thought if I had my own .ANM in that folder, the game would play my own animation. But it didn´t happen. Instead, an Battlelord animation was appeared.
Can you please advise me if I still need to overwrite any CON file?
I hope I don't write anything nonsense here. I am tempted to create my own ending animation, even if the animation should look ugly.

It's clear to me that the right tool for animations for dn is probably DeluxePaint, but I've tried this modding tool.

This post has been edited by Šneček: 07 December 2020 - 11:16 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I will be following this thread too, I ran into exactly the same problem as you the last time I tried (with the same tools too) and then kind of abandoned the idea, that was over a decade ago though, and sooner or later I'll need to do it for the episode I'm working on as I also want new 'cinematics'.

Not so long ago I tried doing some research out of curiosity and found a few Wiki pages covering some of the modern possibilities eDuke32 bring to the table but in the end not much sunk in for me, I think in general working with the original Duke 3D requires knowledge of formats so niche nowadays (.anm, .art, .mid, .voc etc.), it's not so much the tools that would require updated how-to's but the general logic behind some of those formats, like mappers can use the Infosuite which does a good job explaining you the basics of the craft before breaking down the actual subtleties.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 07 December 2020 - 12:34 PM

User is offline   jimbob 

im gonna comment that .MID is far from obscure these days, i use it a lot in music production, as do many people. the others are rather obsolete though.
gonna keep an eye on this because im going to need to create custom anim files later on.

User is offline   Mark 

Somewhere online is a list of the names of the anm files for D3D. Try re-naming your's the same as the original episode 1 ending anm.

Thats all I had to do to get a custom opening anim to play IIRC.

This post has been edited by Mark: 07 December 2020 - 06:52 PM

User is offline   Šneček 

View PostMark, on 07 December 2020 - 06:50 PM, said:

Somewhere online is a list of the names of the anm files for D3D. Try re-naming your's the same as the original episode 1 ending anm.

Thats all I had to do to get a custom opening anim to play IIRC.
Thank you! You are right! I renamed it. Problem solved. Now it works.

User is offline   Šneček 

What Mark wrote here helped, and now it works for me. I looked, I think- in dukeres- for the file names of those animations, and because I have my episode in user.con instead of lunar apocalypse and the animation for lunar apocalypse is called CINEOV2.ANM, I just renamed my own animation to CINEOV2.ANM and really it played. I would just like to know why I didn't see the final text (created by me), anyway, my final animation played in any case!
And I was surprised it didn't look as ugly as I expected. It was easy to tell what was on it. (Duke, dead Cycloid and environment). I should still look at how to make some sounds play in that animation (sounds from original game), but this is not so important for me.
I wanted to upload a short video of that process here, but unfortunately, at first I couldn't do it due to the size of the video, and once I met the video length limit, I found that I don't have permission to upload videos here for a change. (I wanted to do it because of a little tutorial)
I would also like to know if it would be possible to adjust the animation speed.
Thank you in any case, Mark!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (99).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (100).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (105).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (101).png

This post has been edited by Šneček: 08 December 2020 - 10:06 AM

In eduke32 you can also use https://wiki.eduke32...i/Cutscene_(DEF) to create custom cutscenes.

User is offline   Mark 

Nothing has been written to that wiki page yet. <_<
And a forum search for cutscenes brings up over 200 hits to look at.

edit: found something https://wiki.eduke32...Cutscene+%28DEF
https://wiki.eduke32...i/Cutscene_(DEF)

This post has been edited by Mark: 14 December 2020 - 01:03 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's a common error in web software that prevents the ending ')' character from being included in the URL.

https://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Cutscene_(DEF)

User is offline   Mark 

The thread reminded me of the first draft animation that TeaMonster made for our HHR project. We used something else but this looked cool enough to post here. It was a mockup of the boss battle. Its in ivf format and should be viewable with VLC player, MS video player and others.
https://www.dropbox....b/logo.ivf?dl=0

This post has been edited by Mark: 14 December 2020 - 02:10 PM

User is offline   jimbob 

So how does one remove the gamepal on those movies? I plan on doing a custom ending, but E1 ending has this nasty color palette on it, does a custom IVF file ignore that?

• Weaponized Autism

The episode 1 ending is a special case because they used only a few frames of ART, animated from code, in order to save disk space for the shareware. The alternate base palette is stored in LOOKUP.DAT along with the ones for the title screen and 3D Realms screen. You can use the command-line Build tool "bsuite" to replace it, though it would probably be easier to use the basepalette def token.

User is offline   jimbob 

i suppose i can set gamepalette to 0 on the apropriate event, just have to single out the right one, and figure out how to replace the original ending with a custom IVF file, and use a custom sound file in OGG format for the soundtrack.

• Weaponized Autism

You can set LOGO_NOE1BONUSSCENE to disable the hardcoded one, and if you find the right event you can use startcutscene to play an entirely custom one.

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostHendricks266, on 22 March 2021 - 02:52 PM, said:

You can set LOGO_NOE1BONUSSCENE to disable the hardcoded one, and if you find the right event you can use startcutscene to play an entirely custom one.

thanks, awesome. that sound exactly like what i need.

User is offline   jimbob 

nevermind, it works now :D

[edit] well maybe it didnt, i managed to render a file using blender, but FFMpeg seems rather pedantic about the input, what would be the best render settings for blender so the result isnt pixelated garbage?
another interresting thing, setting the logo flags to prevent sound from spilling over into the menu seems to slow down the bg music i use for the intro significantly, i redefined the fly_by sound to a .ogg file

This post has been edited by jimbob: 30 March 2021 - 11:36 AM

User is offline   jimbob 

So, i found the best input file is a raw avi file after some tests.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options