Duke4.net Forums: Polymer flashlight suddenly stops rendering - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer flashlight suddenly stops rendering

User is offline   RPD Guy 

Hi everybody,

I was just taking a look over the community threads and find out some flashlight ones.

So, I've thought that was cool and wrote my own version, but I'm getting a strange bug.

When the player reaches a specific Z coord, the light simply stops being rendered, I really tried everthing, but I can't figure out whats happening.

That "specific z coord" is totally random, each map stops rendering it in a diffrent z coord.

There is a test map inside the zip file.

I'm using the latest Eduke32 version.

Attached File  flashlight.zip (68.55K)
Number of downloads: 185

This post has been edited by RPD Guy: 24 November 2020 - 05:37 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Does the light start working again if the player returns to a "good" z coordinate range, or is the light disabled permanently once it stops working? nevermind I have checked it now, the light does come back when in the "good" z range

I tried some stuff and I've got nothing. I did determine the following:

-the light does have the correct sector at all times and the problem is not related to that
-it doesn't matter whether you use "setsprite" to set the coords and sector or set them all individually
-the problem persists regardless of whether you use the positioning offset code to make it slightly to the right of the player, and also regardless of whether it's at the player's head height or lower
-it also doesn't matter whether you use statnum 14 (light) for the SE or the regular SE statnum of 3
-the light already has maximum priority, and manually setting that by setting cstat makes no difference either
-it doesn't matter if you delete the other lights in the map -- the flashlight is determined to turn off when you reach that height regardless

In short, yes its fucked and nothing that you can do seems to matter. I'm glad that I'm no longer trying to develop for Polymer.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 24 November 2020 - 06:33 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I discovered this problem long ago. My solution was to raise the whole map up until its lowest point is high enough that the light works. Before that workaround I pulled out a few handfuls of hair in frustration.

This post has been edited by Mark: 24 November 2020 - 07:36 PM

Thank you guys! :lol:
I think you can close this thread Dan.

User is offline   Mark 

It still would be great to know why it happens.

View PostMark, on 24 November 2020 - 07:55 PM, said:

It still would be great to know why it happens.

I am curious too, I guess this problem might have something with the behavior that some sectors don't let the light pass, due to it's relative positioning with the light source.

Maybe you can't understand what I'm trying to explain up there, english is not my native language, so it's hard to figure out how to make it clear, so here is a fresh printscreen:

EDIT: This also happens when you move the light source (SE) and don't update it's sectnum (as Dan mentioned before)

Attached Image: strange.png

This post has been edited by RPD Guy: 24 November 2020 - 08:21 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options