Duke4.net Forums: Blast Radius WIP/discussion thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blast Radius WIP/discussion thread  "while it's brewing"

User is offline   ck3D 

Can be a bit tricky juggling between all kinds of platforms to communicate with everyone who got the build, so here's some centralized info for all the testers:

- right after I sent you the link, I started a full playthrough on my own. It's been two days and I just beat the fourth level (best of luck with that one, by the way). On my own playthrough I'm picking up on stuff I'm about to address. Worst offender brought up by others so far has been the confusing navigation (mostly red key-related) in level 2 I already had my eyes on simplifying, and I also just ran into a skip of the whole of the last section of level 4 that actually is kind of cool but as of currently looks ugly. I'm also aware of the broken behavior of some of the Organtics in that map, and of at least a couple of minibosses that only seem to react to the player at a weird range and so I'll be turning into respawns.

- probably before anyone gets there, I'll be revamping some of the end game stuff, mostly level 10 onwards. As of now level 10 is a bit spammy, and the finale has a certain number of softlocks I've found (hard ones where you physically get stuck in place; not logical ones). Some of the enemies in level 11 also need better 'spacing' (you'll know what I mean there soon enough), etc. So I might send people an update of those levels with a sum of tiny changes at some point (but won't submit changes to the .cons so that everyone's save files remain safe). Obviously in their current state they're still playable and traversable, they just hadn't been scrutinized as hard as the early game stuff till recently. Another one of the custom enemies that pops up around that time might occasionally do funny stuff, too (I actually hope it does and someone catches the cancan gliding).

I'm also very happy Danukem just agreed to help review some specifics regarding a few bits of the enemy code and smoothen out some of the detail when he can find the time. I will be sending him all he needs to conveniently look into what needs be shortly. I'm sure it won't be much work (especially to him), but is reassuringly crucial to me and I'm thankful for his generous concern for quality in general when it comes to this community's output.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 15 January 2023 - 05:33 AM

User is offline   NNC 

This will be massive stuff. Please ck3D, let me filter just one little spoiler here: the episode is not over beating Map02. :D

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 15 January 2023 - 11:04 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

I'm halfway through level 8 on my current playthrough now, having also completed the secret level + the ending map I had given a final test run before starting the whole journey from scratch. I'm still picking up on little (or less little) issues and oversights here and there myself (in addition the reports I've been getting in, which help a lot). Still struggle with keeping track of what I've been saying to who, but here are a few notes for the testers:

- map 3 has one instance of window fencing somewhere that probably should be unblocked to allow for one alternate fighting angle, you'll probably know it when you see it;

- map 4 I'm probably going to remake a lot of the starting area (just those few coordinates though), not a big fan of the look and also its functions it turns out, works as it is in the build I've sent and everything, just I'm aware this part can be improved. New custom enemy the level introduces also gets picked up wrong with autoaim which in an issue I've known for a while and needs solving; that enemy mostly is meant to be fought with pipebombs anyway, but still getting in the way of the player's decision making in an artificial manner like this shouldn't be an option. A (rare) couple of the variants also struggle with their own projectiles in their current state and shoot themselves if the player is too close - also needs to be ironed out in final, and I'm aware, just warning y'all in case I didn't;

- found a silent teleporter in map 6 that seems broken one way (going down works but jetpacking up will get you stuck on a negative sector loop), I'll obviously be fixing that one and am merely just stating to say, there are other ways back out of that area and so that specific teleporter breaking doesn't trap you in place (just don't save whilst stuck in the loop if that happens);

- map 7 has one large sized boss somewhere (not game-ending) that's really supposed to be a different, mini version, but funnily enough since it's mostly stuck behind an obstacle and meant as a sort of wall anyway the mistake doesn't seem to alter gameplay much. That guy will still be replaced in the final product, though. Map also has one particular Pigcop spawn (the two third of the way to the first key) the trigger of which is a bit mean and needs moving. One hand switch just prior to that bit also is really hard to spot because of blue lights flashing; needs to be made more obvious, or removed and replaced by touchplate.

Obviously I keep picking up on a lot more, but those are some of the most protruding gameplay mishaps past map 2 I can already announce I'm aware of (should go without saying I also don't mind 'redundant' impressions/feedback/reports regardless, always great for perspective). Thank you again for your time.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 17 January 2023 - 06:59 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postck3D, on 17 January 2023 - 05:33 AM, said:

- map 4 I'm probably going to remake a lot of the starting area (just those few coordinates though), not a big fan of the look and also its functions it turns out, works as it is in the build I've sent and everything, just I'm aware this part can be improved. New custom enemy the level introduces also gets picked up wrong with autoaim which in an issue I've known for a while and needs solving; that enemy mostly is meant to be fought with pipebombs anyway, but still getting in the way of the player's decision making in an artificial manner like this shouldn't be an option. A (rare) couple of the variants also struggle with their own projectiles in their current state and shoot themselves if the player is too close - also needs to be ironed out in final, and I'm aware, just warning y'all in case I didn't;

To be honest, now I've felt it's more convenient to use pistol (or shotgun from up close) on them, unless there's more than one - faster this way. Also you're probably aware of that, but they also tend to "burrow" underground for some reason, which can be quite annoying, especially with the one making octabrain attacks, as you keep hearing their noises (but seems they can still be killed with pipebombs like this).

User is offline   ck3D 

Yeah some of them love digging and clipping into the slopes in particular (depending on first wall it feels like), that enemy has always needed a check on that.

For this test run I'm also using a particular Eduke build (r9257, more recent than most I've been using so far, but still fairly old - need to update for the next run) where one of the new projectiles in particular acts in a way it's not supposed to, as in, for some reason it never despawns (or takes ages to do so, and sometimes gets stuck). I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen in current builds, though (according to Aleks), but if you see that then it's not normal (albeit not actually game breaking, sometimes the results actually get pretty fun too) and you should let me know which exact Eduke build you're using please. Thanks!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 17 January 2023 - 01:39 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

Note to testers: I don't think anyone's anywhere near that stage yet, but level 12/penultimate has a fundamental progression issue - there's a redundant yellow keypad that shouldn't be there, it's the one blocking access to a giant building northeast of the map that should be linked to a different trigger and unlocked after you've cleared the underwater part (you'll know the one); that's on me for working on the gameplay in that map in disconnected bits towards the end of the process and probably editing the wrong backup at some point. Inside of that same building you'll need to DNCLIP through the forcefield into, too, the viewscreens currently appear to be broken and so progression probably becomes really hard to figure out all of a sudden, around that turn. But if you can find it then that building holds the third key, and you should have ran into the corresponding lock before and so there and then it gets back on track. I'm going to be busy with other things this week, but don't hesitate to hit me up if you need help once you get to that point, all the while keeping in mind the end game probably is (with level 2) the segment that I think needs the most clean up.

User is offline   NNC 

I think Map04 should get some kind of Guiness record in some way. :D

It needs a lot of fix, but at the same time, holy fuckin' shit, is this for real?

User is offline   ck3D 

Oops I thought I had dropped an update earlier than that. I finished my full playthrough a few days ago (took almost a week) and started ironing out a lot of the main issues the first few levels had, most notably navigation in the second level in particular (which was an unanimously reported concern) should be clear and fluid now. Been getting a lot of very precious feedback in addition to my own list of things I've found to fix. I already started going back and editing the levels around their apparent issues, just regarding the test build I've sent:

- I realized a bit late, but it's in fact missing a few of the new sounds (and even more now that I've added last minute newer ones). Shouldn't affect gameplay, but you'll be missing out on some of the atmosphere albeit mostly in the very last few maps. (I can't help but kick myself in the ass over this as for the whole time working on this project I was taking personal pride in keeping my folders clean, but I guess I did slip once)

- level 12 really is a bit broken, in part by the redundant lock/forcefield I've mentioned earlier but also due to an impossible shrunk segment (Duke will always grow back too early) that I've actually very easily fixed before by just moving a trigger then I guess just overrode the change in an update. Both 'impossible' moments are close to back to back later in the level, and so the resulting impression is the one of a level that starts out strong, but then fizzles out. So I'm aware the whole second half of that one needs extra love in this or that part; feedback should be interesting.

Since most testers are around the middle of the episode for now, I'll be mostly focusing on finishing cleaning up the early levels where still needs be, and then the end game stuff wherever I know for certain there are flaws. The middle of the episode I'm under the impression is the part I've tested the most and so I'm perhaps naively confident that while the levels do have their little issues and needed patches here and there, reworking them shouldn't be anything major.

Thanks again for your time, everyone so far has been of fantastic help.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 26 January 2023 - 08:48 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

I'm about halfway through all the tiny adjustments I still want to make, I'd say, but getting there on pace and satisfied with the results. Just sent every tester an updated version of the build which includes up-to-date files for all the maps (including traversable versions of the last few ones that were broken, although I'm still refining those parts, and as a whole everything is still changing), all the missing (and new) sounds, an old Eduke build you can use to avoid disappearing sprites if the clipping issues are too brutal (which I know they can be in some of the levels when using Eduke builds of the recent years), and updated .cons (also still changing). February 8th release still feels viable.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 30 January 2023 - 09:02 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

Too overwhelmed with finalization to make public updates, but we're getting there. Very happy with all the recent feedback, help and resulting changes, people have been downright amazing with support and I've been running on that energy for the past couple of weeks, being on the project non stop (and not getting nearly enough sleep), especially this week progress in terms of quality has been exponential in my eyes, I'm very pleased (and humbled people would care so much). February 8th release is still viable, but please give or take a few hours in case last minute issues pop up (you know they always do), or for packaging and preparation purposes (I'm a bit behind on the manual). I'm still refining some light detail in the very end game because I can, but that's just a couple of hours of work I've got to put in and otherwise everything is done and just about ready. Thank you for waiting all this time!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 06 February 2023 - 10:07 PM

I have kept my eyes on this though I have made no comments. Will be playing it as soon as it is released. (y) Looking forward to it.

User is offline   Merlijn 

As one of the testers I can only say: you guys are in for one hell of a ride!

Map 4 is an absolute behemoth indeed, but the scale of the entire project is beyond epic. Not going to spoil anything yet though, you'll soon see for yourself :D

User is offline   ck3D 

Today is the 8th and so I figured I should drop an update. I'm still knee deep into the final adjustments and so most likely will be missing the release date by a few hours if not a couple of days, but it's all coming together albeit with a small delay. Code is done with a lot of fixes to formerly persistent issues, and I'm heavily refining an end game I'm almost sorry for having sent to testers in what I now realize was barely a step up prototype stage, but has since been heavily reworked (I'm especially thinking the last two levels were mostly jank until recently; one probably is better off just entering DNKROZ and DNCLIP to get around in the test version, and even then aesthetics and mechanics have been changing too). Shouldn't take any longer than an extra day in Mapster to finish cleaning all that stuff up, but then I'll also need a few hours to assemble the manual. Essentially at the stage where I'm double checking if I'm not rushing anything. Might post some final screenshots a bit later as an apology for not meeting the announced deadline, but mostly diving back into the finalization process right now.

User is offline   Aleks 

I think you can easily take your time and nobody will mind, people definitely can wait these few extra days if needed and get the best possible product, you've been working on it for almost 4 years, so no point rushing it now all of a sudden. The hype should definitely rise to the sky though!

I'm wondering if someone else besides me has reached the two last levels and what the other testers think about them. To be honest, I'd say you're a bit too harsh on yourself here about the level 12, I personally loved it, was definitely one of my top 5 favourites, but of course required some changes. It's absolutely massive and very original.

Hell, to spice up the hype a bit, I'll write my top 5 levels of Blast Radius (or at least the most recent beta that I've played), in a way that will probably be only understandable to the other testers, so that others do wonder:
  • Map 6
  • Map 4
  • Map 9
  • Map 12
  • Map 3

User is offline   NNC 

Only played the first 11 ones and the secret. Map 10 is my favourite, followed by Map 4 (although sometimes hated it equally lol), Map 7, Map 8, Map 3 and Map 5. Map 2, 9 and 14 are also great. Map 1 and Map 6 are weaker IMHO.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 08 February 2023 - 02:48 PM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 08 February 2023 - 02:47 PM, said:

Only played the first 11 ones and the secret. Map 10 is my favourite, followed by Map 4 (although sometimes hated it equally lol), Map 7, Map 8, Map 3 and Map 5. Map 2, 9 and 14 are also great. Map 1 and Map 6 are weaker IMHO.

Hah that's interesting, since I found Map 10 to be the weakest (although only played an early beta, so probably a lot of problems were solved since), also Map 7 is the one I probably had the most issues with. Kinda funny that we have the same maps on exactly the opposite ends of the spectrum, but this also shows how diverse this episode is and that probably everyone will love a different aspect of it.

Agree on the secret level also being oen of the best maps though, it has quite a unique take on the gameplay, which immediately becomes very intuitional and fun though.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostAleks, on 08 February 2023 - 02:55 PM, said:

Hah that's interesting, since I found Map 10 to be the weakest (although only played an early beta, so probably a lot of problems were solved since), also Map 7 is the one I probably had the most issues with. Kinda funny that we have the same maps on exactly the opposite ends of the spectrum, but this also shows how diverse this episode is and that probably everyone will love a different aspect of it.

Agree on the secret level also being oen of the best maps though, it has quite a unique take on the gameplay, which immediately becomes very intuitional and fun though.

I think I rated the levels by their general impression on me, how well they look, how original they are etc. Playability is a bit different, Aymeric can fix those easily. But to each his own I guess.

User is offline   Nukem1994x 

View Postck3D, on 06 February 2023 - 10:05 PM, said:

Too overwhelmed with finalization to make public updates, but we're getting there. Very happy with all the recent feedback, help and resulting changes, people have been downright amazing with support and I've been running on that energy for the past couple of weeks, being on the project non stop (and not getting nearly enough sleep), especially this week progress in terms of quality has been exponential in my eyes, I'm very pleased (and humbled people would care so much). February 8th release is still viable, but please give or take a few hours in case last minute issues pop up (you know they always do), or for packaging and preparation purposes (I'm a bit behind on the manual). I'm still refining some light detail in the very end game because I can, but that's just a couple of hours of work I've got to put in and otherwise everything is done and just about ready. Thank you for waiting all this time!

Thank you for your hard work on this! I've been keeping updated on blast radius and looks amazing! Can't wait to play it!
I enjoyed playing many of your maps in the past back when i started playing Duke again such as DNF: BTTG, happy hangover, anarchy trilogy and anorak city.
When I first played anorak city years ago i recognized the music was from the tv show miami vice and DNF: BTTG's music from perfect dark. :) The atmosphere of those maps fitted really well with the music too imo. I always found it cool in happy hangover when reaching the bar when Duke gets drunk while fighting off a horde of aliens.

This post has been edited by Nukem1994x: 09 February 2023 - 03:24 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

Thank you for all the hype! I need some sleep first and then a few of hours of final testing still, mostly just for perspective, but otherwise I'm pretty sure I'm done (but with the manual I need to finalize the layout of, and I reckon potential last minute quick fixes if new issues come up). Releasing within the next couple of days unless drastic problem, I'm quite certain. Too spent to give proper replies right now, but I appreciate every message and everyone who's been helping. Here are two last screenshots I just shared earlier on the Duke4 Discord to try and alleviate the wait. Cheers!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0043.png
  • Attached Image: duke0065.png

User is offline   NNC 

I'm already thinking about the DLC. A map in Chitzen Itza, Miraflores/Lima, Copenhagen/Malmo train, Budapest (my home city), Taj Mahal/Agra, the Petronas towers in Kuala Lumpur are ordered officially. :P

Aaaaaaah can't wait anymore hahaha, I love your maps, since i played rural nightmare, one of your first maps, i was impressed, the design details, the scary moments with the overlord... it was awesome. One of my favorite of your maps is Bummed out Anarchy city X, for a veteran as me, the gameplay of this map was a good challenge, avoiding enemies and missiles without any weapons, only the steroids to find the keycards, it was a brilliant idea, Happy Hangover, DNF (bottles to the ground) and the more recent Poison heart was awesome as well, I have been waiting blast radius since the day it was anounced, four years ago, i have been playing all of your speed maps to alleviate the wait, only have a word for you, Thank you!, Hail to the king Duke Nukem

This post has been edited by Dukenukem3d45: 11 February 2023 - 08:32 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostDukenukem3d45, on 11 February 2023 - 08:32 AM, said:

Aaaaaaah can't wait anymore hahaha, I love your maps, since i played rural nightmare, one of your first maps, i was impressed, the design details, the scary moments with the overlord... it was awesome. One of my favorite of your maps is Bummed out Anarchy city X, for a veteran as me, the gameplay of this map was a good challenge, avoiding enemies and missiles without any weapons, only the steroids to find the keycards, it was a brilliant idea, Happy Hangover, DNF (bottles to the ground) and the more recent Poison heart was awesome as well, I have been waiting blast radius since the day it was anounced, four years ago, i have been playing all of your speed maps to alleviate the wait, only have a word for you, Thank you!, Hail to the king Duke Nukem

I'm neck deep into wrapping it all up but your message is just too cool to ignore in between DM's to testers, I really appreciate it. From the sounds of your favorites in my work and your play style and aspirations, I really think Blast Radius will be a piece for you; gameplay and vibe sounds like it would be right up your alley and maybe even hanging there for twenty plus hours. I think you'll love it. Happy about the Anarchy City X mention too, that always was one of my favorite releases as well. Definitely expect frantic pacing and action.

Game files are ready and I'm finalizing the manual today, might go up in a few hours. Always bet on Duke!

User is offline   dethtoll 

Waiting with bated breath... I've never been present for a Duke 3D release before!

User is offline   ck3D 

I'm done! It's going up. Hope y'all enjoy.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Be sure to start a new thread for the release since I think some people will miss it otherwise.

Downloading, will play asap.

Trying to do a livestream.

EDIT Looks like none of the gameplay recorded. :( soryz. :s

This post has been edited by William Gee: 12 February 2023 - 10:10 PM

Thank you for answering my post, I really like it. I'm sure I'd love blast radius. i´m downloading rigtht now, Come get some!

One question, is blast radius compatible with upscale pack?

User is offline   ck3D 

I'm not familiar enough with the upscale pack to reliably answer that question but at root level, Blast Radius uses zero custom art assets (although every once in a while it does some funny things with the base textures I have no idea would look good upscaled), so I reckon it should be compatible and not interfere with anything? It's a try it at your own risk thing; might work perfectly, might not, but naively I don't see an obstacle unless the upscale pack comes with code that potentially could interfere with the episode's.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options