Duke4.net Forums: Mapster 9271 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapster 9271  "Corruption right out of the gate"

User is offline   Paul B 

So I had some spare time last week and things have slowed down a bit with work. So I thought I'd take a look at a newer build of Mapster. I didn't make it very far other than plotting a whole bunch of individual sectors on the grid. Upon attempting to connect them up I ran into some strange behavior where it didn't recognize certain sectors. If I delete one sector it deletes over half my sectors all at once. I haven't played with Mapster in a really long time, but I certainly don't remember this behavior. Just thought I'd submit my corrupt map to see if any Dev wants to see if they can figure out why this happened. Seems like a pretty big issue, I'm not sure if I can reproduce the problem, I haven't bothered trying again.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  div.zip (1.59K)
    Number of downloads: 223

This post has been edited by Paul B: 06 November 2020 - 01:57 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I happened to have a project folder running 9239 and the problem is present there also. This is a pic of the sectors where if I delete any one of them they all disappear. The other ones deleted singly just fine.

Edit: It also happens with a build from way back, 6927. My advice, don't use that map to build from. :P

Edit again: I'm assuming the map is glitched because there is no large outer parent sector to contain the whole map.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: delete bug 1.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark: 06 November 2020 - 02:22 PM

View PostPaul B, on 06 November 2020 - 01:51 PM, said:

So I had some spare time last week and things have slowed down a bit with work. So I thought I'd take a look at a newer build of Mapster. I didn't make it very far other than plotting a whole bunch of individual sectors on the grid. Upon attempting to connect them up I ran into some strange behavior where it didn't recognize certain sectors. If I delete one sector it deletes over half my sectors all at once. I haven't played with Mapster in a really long time, but I certainly don't remember this behavior. Just thought I'd submit my corrupt map to see if any Dev wants to see if they can figure out why this happened. Seems like a pretty big issue, I'm not sure if I can reproduce the problem, I haven't bothered trying again.

You somehow built inverted sectors where the inside is outside the sector lines. This is easily noticeable if you turn on floor textures:Attached Image: capt0000.png

If I drag the bottom right vertex of one of the inverted rectangles beyond its top left vertex, it will be the right side around again: Attached Image: capt0001.png

Trying to delete inverted sectors is undefined behavior. The only question is, how did this happen in the first place?

User is offline   Paul B 

Thanks Doom hunter for pointing out the cause. Definitely not something I did knowingly. Is there a shortcut key that can take a bunch of highlighted sectors and invert them? Maybe I accidentally pushed an incorrect key on the keyboard somehow after or before creating the sectors.There’s a first time for everything.

Does a .map file keep a log or history of events of all routines that go into creating a map file?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 07 November 2020 - 06:05 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

I think my solution going forward will be just to roll back to an older version of Mapster so I don't encounter these type of problems going forward. Never had these problems in the past so I'm thinking perhaps this functionality might have been introduced in a newer build.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 08 November 2020 - 08:03 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Did you check the large list of Mapster keystrokes for something would invert your sectors? If there is such a command, just be sure not to hit that key combo.

User is offline   Aleks 

That's very interesting stuff in here actually, but to be honest I have no idea what would be the purpose of a hotkey for inverting sectors as it's so glitchy and obscure that I wouldn't risk using that in a map. But then, it's just one more thing to be aware of when mapping I guess. It might be effect of drawing/joining/deleting something in the wrong order I suppose. I'd really recommend using the newer builds of Mapster as they're far more convenient and simply speed up the building process a lot.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

there is no intentional 'hotkey' to invert sectors like that.
there was a series of mapsters awhile ago that would randomly "corrupt" sectors & child sectors that were selected & deselected and/or copied with the alt key. It would basically make a 1-sided wall copy on top of what was selected. (in essence, it would flip it inside-out)

in order to 'fix' the issue, you'll have to manually pull the vertices into the correct orientation - like what doom64h did.

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 November 2020 - 07:50 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostForge, on 09 November 2020 - 07:46 AM, said:

there is no intentional 'hotkey' to invert sectors like that.
there was a series of mapsters awhile ago that would randomly "corrupt" sectors & child sectors that were selected & deselected and/or copied with the alt key.

Well it looks as though this bug has resurfaced in newer versions of Mapster. I'll just stick with the tried and true versions for now.

It would help if there was a consistent way to reproduce this because it doesn't happen for me, no matter how many sectors I plot.

User is offline   Paul B 

If I can find a way to reproduce I’ll post here.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

the broke versions would randomly copy or invert alt-selected sectors, regardless of whether the ins key was hit or not.
kinda acted like selecting a sector with alt, then opening another map & the sector was auto-copied.
unless something new is the cause, it'd be pretty obvious if this was happening again

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 06 November 2020 - 11:15 PM, said:

You somehow built inverted sectors where the inside is outside the sector lines. This is easily noticeable if you turn on floor textures:Attachment capt0000.png

If I drag the bottom right vertex of one of the inverted rectangles beyond its top left vertex, it will be the right side around again: Attachment capt0001.png

Trying to delete inverted sectors is undefined behavior. The only question is, how did this happen in the first place?

That definitely displays the sectors correctly. Once they have been reverted, instead of inverted, you still can't highlight those sectors or copy them to move them. It's like all those sectors have some how become joined to one another. And the only way that could happen would be if expert mode was enabled, but it wasn't and these sectors have always just been white sectors not red sectors and never joined or connected to each other. Seems like a pretty big bug with more than just one problem to it. Anyway, I have faith in the dev team.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 16 November 2020 - 10:29 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options