Duke4.net Forums: How to replace models with sprites? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to replace models with sprites?  "I need some tutorials and preferably guidance!"

User is offline   the_raven 

Alright, so I'll put it out front: I love Dukeplus, it's a great mod, but I really hate that the dev (sorry dev) made certain weapons and enemies to be 3d models by default even when you're not using the 3d pack.
I've written about it on the mod's moddb page, and looking at the comments there, I'm apparently not the only one unhappy about this. The reasons are different, some people don't like 3d models and want the game to look more vanilla, others' computers can't display the new models (the dreaded black boxes! :yucky: ), and others still don't like the models themselves and would rather they were a bit different. Regardless of the reasons, it looks like the dev is too busy with Alien Armageddon to make the requested change to DukePlus, so I figured I'd do what the community always does in such cases, and make a fan-patch if you will, by replacing the 3d models with sprites. Problem is, I don't know how to do it, so I came here, hoping that someone would give me some tutorials or guidance.
I could also hit Discord, but I forgot my password and am too lazy to renew it.
Spoiler

So, any help? :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by the_raven: 26 October 2020 - 02:54 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postthe_raven, on 26 October 2020 - 02:49 AM, said:

it looks like the dev is too busy with Alien Armageddon

And Demon Throne for the last 8 months. And every other mod since moving on from DukePlus many years ago.

Before someone answers you in a way that's not helpful, let me point out that even if you have suitable sprites and even if you add them in to the relevant tiles via tilefromtexture commands, that still won't be enough. The problem is that the model animations are coded to display many frames of animation on single tile positions. So you would also need to know how to change the model definitions to make them span different tiles, and go into my CON code and rewrite parts of it to reference the new tiles numbers (that will be kind of tricky for the reload animations for example).

User is offline   Jmoc 

View Postthe_raven, on 26 October 2020 - 02:49 AM, said:

Alright, so I'll put it out front: I love Dukeplus, it's a great mod, but I really hate that the dev (sorry dev) made certain weapons and enemies to be 3d models by default even when you're not using the 3d pack.
I've written about it on the mod's moddb page, and looking at the comments there, I'm apparently not the only one unhappy about this. The reasons are different, some people don't like 3d models and want the game to look more vanilla, others' computers can't display the new models (the dreaded black boxes! :yucky: ), and others still don't like the models themselves and would rather they were a bit different. Regardless of the reasons, it looks like the dev is too busy with Alien Armageddon to make the requested change to DukePlus, so I figured I'd do what the community always does in such cases, and make a fan-patch if you will, by replacing the 3d models with sprites. Problem is, I don't know how to do it, so I came here, hoping that someone would give me some tutorials or guidance.
I could also hit Discord, but I forgot my password and am too lazy to renew it.
Spoiler

So, any help? :rolleyes:

I feel you. To me, DukePlus is the essential way to play Duke, and the fact that some weapons are 3d models only is rather unfortunate for the aesthetics. Also I'd like many of the Attrition features to be merged into DukePlus (alt fire, powerups etc)!

This post has been edited by Jmoc: 03 November 2020 - 05:17 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJmoc, on 03 November 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

I feel you. To me, DukePlus is the essential way to play Duke, and the fact that some weapons are 3d models only is rather unfortunate for the aesthetics. Also I'd like many of the Attrition features to be merged into DukePlus (alt fire, powerups etc)!

A lot of the focus on DukePlus development was on the HRP. It's fair to say that it was the intended way to use DukePlus if you were using those weapons. There is even a fair amount of code in DukePlus specifically for Polymer lighting features.

I am currently working on creating an Attrition mode for Alien Armageddon. That will be a big release in late March or April. It would have been done sooner but like I said 8 months off working on Demon Throne. As far as I am concerned going forward, AA is the my one Duke mod to rule them all.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 03 November 2020 - 03:03 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options