Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] DUKE NUKEM EXTINCTION DEMO LEVEL - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] DUKE NUKEM EXTINCTION DEMO LEVEL  "Demo Level for my upcoming total conversion. Have Fun!"

User is offline   pavigna 

Hello everyone! I've been working on this map for a month or so. I'm making an expansion titled Duke Nukem Extinction, which will feature new duke models, 12 new levels and cutscenes!

So, here's a spoiler-free Demo level.

Have fun and remember, something is hiding in the toilet...
What's that for, you say? Well, it's a secret...

-pavigna

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by pavigna: 19 October 2020 - 12:10 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Played it! Nice map!

Took me 5:49 minutes, kiled 47, didnt die once. I think it was fairly straighforward and had fun with it.

There´s a missing sky tile because i had HOM in the sky, but I did certainly had installed tiles014.art because i saw the duke sign in the bank.

You should carefully check your doors and their pivot Sectoreffector, many of them clip into the walls when opened.

View PostGambini, on 19 October 2020 - 05:10 PM, said:

Played it! Nice map!

Took me 5:49 minutes, kiled 47, didnt die once. I think it was fairly straighforward and had fun with it.

There´s a missing sky tile because i had HOM in the sky, but I did certainly had installed tiles014.art because i saw the duke sign in the bank.

You should carefully check your doors and their pivot Sectoreffector, many of them clip into the walls when opened.

That's odd, please elaborate on the skybox issue? As for the doors, build is quite janky on it's own and i can't do much better than that. the doors do work though, right?

Btw thanks for the feedback!

User is offline   ck3D 

The original game and 99% of user maps prove that there's always a way to make clean swinging doors, I haven't checked out your map yet but what you probably need to do is turn grid lock off with L in 2D mode for a minute, and keep in mind that 1/ you need to build the end of the door sector bearing the pivot point SE at some kind of slight angle so that the geometry of the door sector never touches the wall once triggered, 2/ move the doors not exactly or almost exactly against the doorway, but a certain amount of Build units away from it (as long as they still look right and blocks the player's view), 3/ move the pivot point SE as close to possible to the intended corner of the door sector and then diagonally back away by a few Build units for safety, as sometimes the game will push the SE outside the sector if it's too close to its walls and squish the player/fuck up the map for that playthrough.

That being said the screenshots are looking pretty cool, I especially like the texturing and clean construction of that room in the second screenshot and the circular layout of that roundabout. I see you're carefully watching sector shading, that's cool, just make sure not to neglect wall shading as from what I can see, that aspect could use a boost. Don't be afraid to play with contrasts and remember in most cases a wall should never have the same shade value as the next adjacent one, for depth. Also be on the lookout for misaligned textures (including floor/ceiling textures), for all those reasons combined screen 4 looks a bit messy to me (as well as screen 5 to a degree).

Cool to hear about a new project too, how far ahead in development are you if you don't mind me being curious? Cheers and thanks for sharing your work.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 20 October 2020 - 07:20 AM

View Postck3D, on 20 October 2020 - 07:18 AM, said:

The original game and 99% of user maps prove that there's always a way to make clean swinging doors, I haven't checked out your map yet but what you probably need to do is turn grid lock off with L in 2D mode for a minute, and keep in mind that 1/ you need to build the end of the door sector bearing the pivot point SE at some kind of slight angle so that the geometry of the door sector never touches the wall once triggered, 2/ move the doors not exactly or almost exactly against the doorway, but a certain amount of Build units away from it (as long as they still look right and blocks the player's view), 3/ move the pivot point SE as close to possible to the intended corner of the door sector and then diagonally back away by a few Build units for safety, as sometimes the game will push the SE outside the sector if it's too close to its walls and squish the player/fuck up the map for that playthrough.

That being said the screenshots are looking pretty cool, I especially like the texturing and clean construction of that room in the second screenshot and the circular layout of that roundabout. I see you're carefully watching sector shading, that's cool, just make sure not to neglect wall shading as from what I can see, that aspect could use a boost. Don't be afraid to play with contrasts and remember in most cases a wall should never have the same shade value as the next adjacent one, for depth. Also be on the lookout for misaligned textures (including floor/ceiling textures), for all those reasons combined screen 4 looks a bit messy to me (as well as screen 5 to a degree).

Cool to hear about a new project too, how far ahead in development are you if you don't mind me being curious? Cheers and thanks for sharing your work.

ooh, developement is quite far behind. I'm almost done with the cutscenes, the playermodel is done and a few of the maps are done. i'd say i'm a tenth of the way to completion, and i'm working on this by myself so it's gonna take some time. if you wanna volunteer and help make alien ship themed maps for the second episode then the final release date would probably shorten by a few months. I still don't know how to build an alien ship layout and i still have lots of other maps to make. About doors, most of them are exactly as you described, they are one ultrasmall build unit cube away from the doorway, and when i playtested i didnt notice any clipping. Then again i posted the map as a demo to know of these kinds of things. Thanks for the tips, too.

Hey everyone! Fixed some of the bugs the first wave of players found! if you redownload the map it should now have the brand new fixed bugs and updated shading and visuals.

Need to dowload from here, the main post is uneditable now
My link

This post has been edited by pavigna: 20 October 2020 - 11:03 AM

User is online   slacker1 

I just tried the latest version an noticed the doors in the office building all seem to cause the map to go haywire. The original version worked fine for me.

Ex:
Posted Image

I'm also for some reason missing this texture in both versions even though I have the tiles014.art file:
Posted Image

All in all. I had fun playing the map! Took me also around 5 min. I liked the fight right off the bat when you first drop in.

This post has been edited by slacker1: 20 October 2020 - 02:46 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

View Postpavigna, on 20 October 2020 - 10:24 AM, said:

ooh, developement is quite far behind. I'm almost done with the cutscenes, the playermodel is done and a few of the maps are done. i'd say i'm a tenth of the way to completion, and i'm working on this by myself so it's gonna take some time. if you wanna volunteer and help make alien ship themed maps for the second episode then the final release date would probably shorten by a few months. I still don't know how to build an alien ship layout and i still have lots of other maps to make. About doors, most of them are exactly as you described, they are one ultrasmall build unit cube away from the doorway, and when i playtested i didnt notice any clipping. Then again i posted the map as a demo to know of these kinds of things. Thanks for the tips, too.

Cool, thanks for the info, looking forward to seeing everything materialize, I'll keep an eye out for it. I appreciate the offer about contributing, but I'm busy with my own project too amongst other things, and all my Duke time is going towards that, but hopefully someone else will take you up on that. About the doors, yeah it's usually better to have them not too close to the doorway, a few extra Build units of distance don't make much of a cosmetic difference in 3D mode and then you get extra safety in the leeway to ensure it doesn't clip. Sometimes the clips will only be apparent from certain angles, but you can almost always see whether or not a tiny part of the sector is out of bounds on the automap.

If you want to make maps with a theme so foreign you don't know where to start, you'd probably be better off making one-off/'demo' levels in that theme first as well as studying what other people have done with it (including in, but not limited to the base game) a bit more. https://msdn.duke4.net/hot.php is a great OG repository for user maps (amongst a few others that exist) where you can sort the content by theme by clicking on the header, if you're not familiar (http://www.scent-88....apbase/maps.php is another great resource but you can filter maps by everything but theme IIRC).

^ slacker1: classic swinging door pivot point problem where it's too close to the edge of the door sector so when the door is triggered the SE 'slips off' the sector and messes things up. Probably should be moved further inside diagonally by a mere couple of units. Swinging doors take a bit of trial and error at first to locate where the 'sweet spot' is in the distances for perfect construction but once one has fucked up a few times till they eventually found it, then they're usually good forever.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 20 October 2020 - 03:05 PM

View Postslacker1, on 20 October 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

I just tried the latest version an noticed the doors in the office building all seem to cause the map to go haywire. The original version worked fine for me.

Ex:
Posted Image

I'm also for some reason missing this texture in both versions even though I have the tiles014.art file:
Posted Image

All in all. I had fun playing the map! Took me also around 5 min. I liked the fight right off the bat when you first drop in.

Oh my god i'm an idiot. Sorry, that missing texture outside you can see in the screenshots. It's a 20th anniversary texture because i have the eduke32wt mod installed. I'm gonna try to fix that and also fix the doors? on my end they work fine so idk what's going on there.

Ok, just uploaded the missing textures on the github repository. if you download those the missing texture will be there. Thanks for helping me figure this out! Doors are fixed too. i think.

This post has been edited by pavigna: 20 October 2020 - 10:32 PM

User is online   slacker1 

Tile fix worked for me. I now see the correct wall texture for the building.

The doors on the left side when you first walk into the office building area still act up and kill me though. Right side seems okay.

I'm using this version of Eduke if it helps:
EDuke32 r7299
Built Jan  9 2019 14:27:33, GCC 5.4.0, 64-bit 

User is offline   Hudson 

• Meat Popsicle

Very cool my friend, I can't believe you just started with Mapster just since the quarantine. I can't wait to see what else you're able to do! :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options