Duke4.net Forums: DNF 2013 issue - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 2013 issue  "can no longer change renderer"

User is offline   BFG9000 

I'm not sure what happened but for some reason I can no longer change the renderer. I used to be able to change from 32bit opengl to 16bit to software; fullscreen or not and at any resolution, but now I can only change to software if it's not fullscreen, and the 16bit option seems to be gone entirely. I'm using only the eduke32 version that game with the mod and I've tried reinstalling it from scratch but to no avail. Did something change recently with the mod?

User is offline   Gambini 

Hi. Delete eduke32.cfg and try again. Have you changed anything on your system since last time it worked?

View PostGambini, on 30 September 2020 - 05:36 PM, said:

Hi. Delete eduke32.cfg and try again. Have you changed anything on your system since last time it worked?

Unfortunately that doesn't help. I did do a clean install of Windows 10 about a week or so ago; I wasn't experiencing any issues or anything I just wanted to start clean. Everything (drivers, etc.) is all back up to date and I'm not experiencing any problems.

Ok, i think i know what could have been wrong. We had the brillant idea back then of removing the polymer checkbox expecting players not to use it. But if by any chance it did enable automatically (which is something that happened, since it was reported by some users) then there was no way to turn it off.

Things you can do:

1- open the console (the key under escape in your keyboard) and type vidmode 8 if you want to use software mode (which i recommend).

OR

2- open the console and type setrendermode 3 if you want to use polymost.

OR if nothing of that works, get the original snapshot of that time which is located here:

https://dukeworld.du.../20130331-3634/

and make sure you leave the polymer checkbox clear. It will work exactly the same than the one provided minus the custom intro menu.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 01 October 2020 - 02:27 PM

View PostGambini, on 01 October 2020 - 02:26 PM, said:

Ok, i think i know what could have been wrong. We had the brillant idea back then of removing the polymer checkbox expecting players not to use it. But if by any chance it did enable automatically (which is something that happened, since it was reported by some users) then there was no way to turn it off.

Things you can do:

1- open the console (the key under escape in your keyboard) and type vidmode 8 if you want to use software mode (which i recommend).

OR

2- open the console and type setrendermode 3 if you want to use polymost.

OR if nothing of that works, get the original snapshot of that time which is located here:

https://dukeworld.du.../20130331-3634/

and make sure you leave the polymer checkbox clear. It will work exactly the same than the one provided minus the custom intro menu.

Damn. I appreciate the help but am at a total loss. vidmode 8 fails, and crashes the game if I try it more than once. setrendermode 0,3 works but nothing changes, setrendermode 4 changes to polymost which gives me the village people image. I tried the download which sort of worked once, but if I exited out and started it up again the render was locked. Any idea what could have originally caused the checkbox to enable itself automatically, or why a fresh install of the mod wouldn't fix it? I mean the game worked fine before I'm not sure what could have caused it to change, i've done a clean install before so I feel like that didn't affect it. I've got a nvidia gpu and am using the duke3d grp from world tour btw. Not sure if any of that is relevant.

User is offline   Mark 

According to the wiki, vidmode is to be used with other entries to define screen resolution and so I'm guessing that typing vidmode 8 might be improper usage. Unless Gambini means change the bbp entry of vidmode to 8 along with adding the other entries. example... vidmode <xdim> <ydim> <bpp> <fullscreen>

Also, setrendermode 4 sets it to Polymer, not Polymost as previously stated.

This post has been edited by Mark: 02 October 2020 - 04:49 AM

well this is weird. I decided to try and reinstall the game...again (probably the 5th time doing so trying to fix this), only instead of naming the folder I was saving it to I just left it at "New Folder", and now I'm able to change the renderer no problem. 32bit, 16bit, and software all work at fullscreen. I decided to rename the folder "Duke Nukem Forever 2013" and the issue returned. I then renamed it "DNF 2013", and I could change the renderer again... so I changed it back to Duke Nukem Forever 2013 and lo and behold the renderer is locked. For whatever reason the naming the folder "Duke Nukem Forever 2013" locks the renderer.

Whatever the reason for this odd problem is, as of r9269 this doesn't occur with a folder named that way.

Judging from the fact that the banner is changed, this was clearly self-compiled. Perhaps it is even a custom change to the source code that causes this.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 07 October 2020 - 03:53 AM

been trying to post this for more than a week but i was getting an error. It´s outdated info now, but still:

View PostMark, on 02 October 2020 - 04:48 AM, said:

According to the wiki, vidmode is to be used with other entries to define screen resolution and so I'm guessing that typing vidmode 8 might be improper usage. Unless Gambini means change the bbp entry of vidmode to 8 along with adding the other entries. example... vidmode <xdim> <ydim> <bpp> <fullscreen>

Also, setrendermode 4 sets it to Polymer, not Polymost as previously stated.

With vidmode 8 only you will automatically switch to software mode. The resolution parameters are optional.

I tried the download which sort of worked once, but if I exited out and started it up again the render was locked.

Try again a fresh install, and include that file, but now make sure the "always show this window on startup" is checked. That will show that window on startup every time you launch the game, so if something goes wrong you can revert the changes.

Just some details to have in mind:

- 16bits mode no longer exists since ages. You couldn´t have been able to chose it unless you were using an ancient eduke32 build.
- The village people poster shows up only if you are trying to use Polymer, which is what setrendermode 4 does.
- Always say no to the popup that suggests you to update eduke32.

The eduke32.exe included with the mod has no changes in the source, it just has an edited startup menu. Using a modern build is not advisable because there are 7 years of untested changes that may affect the expecience (specially in visuals).

I haven´t been unable to answer this thread for about a week. Glad to know it works!

This post has been edited by Gambini: 12 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

View PostGambini, on 12 October 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

been trying to post this for more than a week but i was getting an error. It´s outdated info now, but still:

With vidmode 8 only you will automatically switch to software mode. The resolution parameters are optional.

Try again a fresh install, and include that file, but now make sure the "always show this window on startup" is checked. That will show that window on startup every time you launch the game, so if something goes wrong you can revert the changes.

- 16bits mode no longer exists since ages. You couldn´t have been able to chose it unless you were using an ancient eduke32 build.
- The village people poster shows up only if you are trying to use Polymer, which is what setrendermode 4 does.

The eduke32.exe included with the mod has no changes in the source, it just has an edited startup menu. Using a modern build is not advisable because there are 7 years of untested changes that may affect the expecience (specially in visuals).

I haven´t been unable to answer this thread for about a week. Glad to know it works!

View PostGambini, on 12 October 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

I'm using the eduke32 version that came with the mod (from moddb) and running the .bat file. For whatever reason the issue seems to exist dependent on the folder name. If I name it "Duke Nukem Forever 2013" the in-game render is locked. If I name it anything else the render isn't locked...which is bizarre.

So I was able to figure out the issue, but it only leaves me with more questions. Turns out I added the game in my nvidia control panel to mess with the options like vsync, etc, which in turn locks the renderer. Unfortunately removing the game from the nvidia control panel doesn't resolve the issue. However, renaming the folder to something different changes the path so that's why the renderer wasn't locked when I changed the name.

Morals of the story: Attach to the instructions carefully and things will go fine.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 04 January 2021 - 07:23 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options