Duke4.net Forums: Ion Fury development screenshots - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury development screenshots  "Gotta catch 'em all"

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Since we've touched on the topic of pre-release screenshots from Ion Fury recently, I thought it'd be a good thing to have them all in one place.

First off, there's the official press kit with most shots in lossless quality (unlike the stuff on the Steam page or on the official site), but what they show is likely very close to the final release. There's also some pre-release gameplay footage.

Earlier shots were made public mostly through the Voidpoint Twitter account. By searching through both Twitter and the IF & Bombshell threads here in the forums (plus some Google search-by-image) I was able to track down the following shots (along some animated GIFs and some other materials), with dates of publication:

There may have been other pre-release images exclusive to certain online news publications but I am not aware of any ATM. Also some extra stuff might have been shown only via Discord. I might have missed something while browsing Twitter too, so if you know any other images that should be listed here, please tell!

The Jan 2016 "Washington Project" shots seem to be not at their original resolution both in Frederick's Twitter post (unless I failed to figure out how to get the original res) and in the Duke4.net news post. I wonder if these are available in original quality anywhere (may we hope for the lossless originals)? I mean, these are the first Ion Fury shots shown to the public, and at least for me they were seminal in shaping the perspective of what the game would eventually become.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 24 September 2020 - 02:22 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

There are probably no real original sizes as those screenshots were released without our involvement.
We had prepared few screenshots that 3DR could show off (as requested by them), had discussed reveal, etc..
Instead we had a surprise after some weeks as they ended up releasing their own on facebook(?) with interceptor logos slapped in and where even the loverboy had a wrong aspect ratio as the widescreen draw routine was still in progress.

Original ones for planned initial reveal were practically very close to what's shown in 2016-03-12 / 2016-03-13 / 2018-07-29

View Postoasiz, on 24 September 2020 - 02:54 AM, said:

even the loverboy had a wrong aspect ratio as the widescreen draw routine was still in progress

I never noticed that before, it's indeed overly stretched vertically, like 5:4 or something.

Are there are any unreleased dev/pre-release promo shots, or maybe some stuff that was released but I missed it?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMrFlibble, on 24 September 2020 - 03:26 AM, said:

Are there are any unreleased dev/pre-release promo shots

We just take a lot of screenshots, and release the ones we find best

Some screenshots mid-action I took by loading a savestate and pressing F12 repeatedly, so I end up with a folder with hundreds of images

Posted Image

I have also used Photoshop in many cases

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postoasiz, on 24 September 2020 - 02:54 AM, said:

There are probably no real original sizes as those screenshots were released without our involvement.
We had prepared few screenshots that 3DR could show off (as requested by them), had discussed reveal, etc..
Instead we had a surprise after some weeks as they ended up releasing their own on facebook(?) with interceptor logos slapped in and where even the loverboy had a wrong aspect ratio as the widescreen draw routine was still in progress.

Fred gonna Fred.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

My hard drive is filled with hundreds of development screenshots and probably another 100+ videos, various versions of the game and a directory that has a dump of each map version from the SVN, which results in about 4800+ map files (from first map commits in 2015 to 2019 release)
So yes, there is a lot of unreleased stuff. It's very hard to even remember what was released and what wasn't since that first screenshot is now almost 5 years old..

There are few GIFs like that printer from z7a1 and such, however there should be no differences since it's a smaller cropped area.
To add to this list, I posted some stuff in the Fury thread recently (video / early preview screenshots) which are development versions.

I kind of want to find a way to package some of this early stuff someday in a sensible way some day.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostMrFlibble, on 24 September 2020 - 02:22 AM, said:

The Jan 2016 "Washington Project" shots seem to be not at their original resolution both in Frederick's Twitter post (unless I failed to figure out how to get the original res) and in the Duke4.net news post. I wonder if these are available in original quality anywhere (may we hope for the lossless originals)? I mean, these are the first Ion Fury shots shown to the public, and at least for me they were seminal in shaping the perspective of what the game would eventually become.

This is the resolution which I have them:

Spoiler

BTW, these screenshots existed before I joined the team.

Ion Fury betas when? :)

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostMrFlibble, on 20 September 2020 - 07:23 AM, said:

Since we've touched on the topic of pre-release screenshots from Ion Fury recently, I thought it'd be a good thing to have them all in one place.

First off, there's the official press kit with most shots in lossless quality (unlike the stuff on the Steam page or on the official site), but what they show is likely very close to the final release. There's also some pre-release gameplay footage.

Earlier shots were made public mostly through the Voidpoint Twitter account. By searching through both Twitter and the IF & Bombshell threads here in the forums (plus some Google search-by-image) I was able to track down the following shots (along some animated GIFs and some other materials), with dates of publication:

There may have been other pre-release images exclusive to certain online news publications but I am not aware of any ATM. Also some extra stuff might have been shown only via Discord. I might have missed something while browsing Twitter too, so if you know any other images that should be listed here, please tell!

is it a cut map? will we see it with new expansion?
Posted Image

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

It's not a cut map, this was a mockup shot with "what you see is what you had".
This was the basis for streets on preview.
- The park area in the middle was recycled to mechboss.
- Brown building with the glass window had it's designs recycled to the GDF office
- Building on the left is probably the most recognizable one (exploding wall & keycard).
There is nothing beyond what you see here.

Very little content ended up being cut. Some very early stuff from 2015 was scrapped during blockout phase but even they got recycled.
You'd be surprised how much was actually repurposed stuff.

Wow. Lovin the retro style.

User is offline   Fox 

Some stuff that has been posted on Steam:

https://steamcommuni...701877514911368 (early development screenshot)
https://steamcommuni...668751270948865 (Ogay bottle tests)

View PostFox, on 06 October 2020 - 09:43 PM, said:

https://steamcommuni...701877514911368 (early development screenshot)

Somehow the link did not immediately point me to the post with a pic which I assume is this?
https://imgur.com/Dmqsjao

That's a very cute view of an urban area (which would evolve into D.C. Meltdown apparently), gives a strong LameDuke vibe actually!

Actually makes me wonder if LameDuke level designs could be a good basis/inspiration for IF usermaps.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

This was basically what the merges from Davox's streets and my offices looked like at first.
I'd estimate somewhere early/mid 2017 for this one since the placement is correct but none of the exterior is ready.
Zone3 building used this same texture for quite a long time for the exterior (mostly a temp) so I think it was also featured here due to that.

I'm not sure if LD designs would work that well since a lot of the Duke texture set has more built-in noise and grit, it will look quite barren easily if you just have d3d style building blocks slapped without extra shading or detail. There are features that could work but I don't think large cities would work as well as-is, not to mention combat.
Shading/wildlife added a lot here, along with the ramp and few vehicles. Really makes the area much better.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options