Duke4.net Forums: What are your favorite Duke Nukem 3D Mods? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are your favorite Duke Nukem 3D Mods?

User is offline   eddym4814 

I want to make a list of the best Duke Nukem 3D Mods to date based on actual player input, not just my opinion. I plan on making a page listing them. In the future when someone asks what mods to play first I can direct them to that page. To get started I went to 3DR and checked the threads going back to the beginning of 2007. These are the mods that were suggested in various threads:

ADG Episode
Brave New World
DaikariN
The Final Confrontation
FM2X (New York Rebellion and Orbital Oblivion)
The Gate
God of War
Last Reaction and Water Bases
Platoon
The Realm of Grune
Secrets of the Acropolis
Starship Troopers

What is your opinion of that list? Anything I should add to it? Remove?

This post has been edited by eddym4814: 02 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

User is offline   Mateos 

I don't know a big number of TC's or mods, but I can post these ones :

1999/2000 TC
Duke It Out in DC
Duke Plus
The Gate (Searching mate for multiplayer ;))
Last Reaction & Water Bases
NAM
Nuclear Winter
Time 1.1
Redrum The Shining
Platoon
SD_Duke
Starship Troopers

For your list, as said, I don't know much TCs... Can't complete/correct it:P

User is offline   blizzart 

Fusion TC

View PostMateos, on Jul 2 2009, 02:31 AM, said:

I don't know a big number of TC's or mods, but I can post these ones :

1999/2000 TC
Duke It Out in DC
Duke Plus
The Gate (Searching mate for multiplayer ;))
Last Reaction & Water Bases
NAM
Nuclear Winter
Time 1.1
Redrum The Shining
Platoon
SD_Duke
Starship Troopers

For your list, as said, I don't know much TCs... Can't complete/correct it:P

Thanks for you list. But:

Duke It Out In DC and Nuclear Winter are commercial addons.
NAM is a commercial Build game.
Duke Plus and SD Duke are gameplay mods. I could add a separate section for them and state that Duke Plus includes maps.

View Postblizzart, on Jul 2 2009, 10:32 AM, said:

Fuision TC

Thanks.

I also went through all the mods/tcs I played and made a list of the ones I had rated 4/5 stars or better that were not on the OP:

Alien Invasion
Chimera
Critical Mass
Duke It's Zero Hour
Duke Los Angeles
Grins of Divinity
Layre
Maarten's Crucial Conflict
MIC Episode
MSSP Episode 3.0
WG Realms
WG Space

I was hoping to make a top 10 list but it would be hard for me to chose only 10. Maybe top 20? 25?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Posteddym4814, on Jul 2 2009, 02:52 PM, said:

Duke Plus and SD Duke are gameplay mods. I could add a separate section for them and state that Duke Plus includes maps.

In fact DP includes more original maps than some of the ones you listed, and you never specified what kind of mods you wanted in your list. This is a useless exercise imo. You are just going to end up with another giant list of episodes.

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 2 2009, 06:18 PM, said:

In fact DP includes more original maps than some of the ones you listed, and you never specified what kind of mods you wanted in your list. This is a useless exercise imo. You are just going to end up with another giant list of episodes.

The point was I have gotten a lot of requests from people new to Duke on what to play first. I thought I would get input from other community members. I really wanted a TOP 10 list. To me this is not another useless thread. That said I agree making a large list is counter productive. Thank you for bringing that up. So a TOP 10 list it is. And Duke Plus will be on it. It is in a class all its own. I can narrow down the rest of the mods myself or with help from other members of this forum. Okay?

Edit: Sorry I forgot to respond to your question about what mods should be on the list. It was going to be a TC/Episode only list. Thats what I get asked about most. Oh yeah, they should be single player compatible too. Duke Plus will be on the list. So that means I need 9 more mods to finish the list. (In the future I could also make a list of multi-player mods for people who Dukematch.)

This post has been edited by eddym4814: 02 July 2009 - 04:38 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Starship Troopers
Grins of Divinity

Two of the big mods that were completed that gives you a good idea of Duke's past.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jul 2 2009, 06:38 PM, said:

Starship Troopers
Grins of Divinity

Two of the big mods that were completed that gives you a good idea of Duke's past.

I agree. Both will be included.

DaikariN Is one of the best episodes ever made.

Realms of grune has extremely annoying gameplay IMO.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 02 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

View PostWilliam Gee, on Jul 2 2009, 06:51 PM, said:

DaikaiN Is one of the best episodes ever made.

Realms of grune has extremely annoying gameplay IMO.

DaikariN is in. That's four down. I also agree about The Realm Of Grune. I rated it 2/5 stars myself. Grune is out.

Edit: This is the list so far. I also added The Gate, Last Reaction and Water Bases and Platoon that were suggested by Mateos. I added WGRealms Episode because it is one of my favorites.

Duke Plus
DaikariN
The Gate
Grins of Divinity
Last Reaction and Water Bases
Platoon
Starship Troopers
WGRealms Episode

This post has been edited by eddym4814: 02 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

User is offline   supergoofy 

it's DaikariN and not DaikaiN

DaikariN :
It's a Japanese term which means "big crown of flowers" like the nuclear
bomb outbreak

View Postsupergoofy, on Jul 2 2009, 07:33 PM, said:

it's DaikariN and not DaikaiN

DaikariN :
It's a Japanese term which means "big crown of flowers" like the nuclear
bomb outbreak

The typo police to the rescue. LOL Thanks. I typed in the correct spelling then changed it based on WG's previous post. I misspelled it in my OP too.

This post has been edited by eddym4814: 02 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

I started the page today. I decided to call it Popular Duke Nukem 3D Mod's and TC's. If anyone would like to check it out they can find it HERE.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Aside from most I've worked on -- SST, I remember GoW and Grune having some nice level architecture too.

View PostDaedolon, on Jul 3 2009, 09:48 PM, said:

Aside from most I've worked on -- SST, I remember GoW and Grune having some nice level architecture too.

SST is being included. God of War is also a good mod. Grune on the other hand is very hard. IIRC I gave up on it because the level design was just too confusing. This page is really aimed at people new to Duke mods.

Just reporting: the download link for chimera is invalid. it gives a different file.

I have the TC, plus the 2 missing VOCs. I can make download mirror if needed.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 03 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

View Postsupergoofy, on Jul 3 2009, 10:47 PM, said:

just reporting: the download link for chimera is invalid. it gives a different file.

Thanks. I will check it out.

Edit: Fixed. There was a typo in the link. What is with me and typos lately?

This post has been edited by eddym4814: 03 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

The link is not fixed. It gives a completely different 2.4MB chimera.zip. It's not your fault. Filefront messed up the files and the links.

Here is Chimera.rar with the original chimera.zip and the two missing voc files.
http://www.mediafire...php?1ottjw0wgtn

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 03 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

View Postsupergoofy, on Jul 3 2009, 11:55 PM, said:

The link is not fixed. It gives a completely different 2.4MB chimera.zip. It's not your fault. Filefront messed up the files and the links.

Here is Chimera.rar with the original chimera.zip and the two missing voc files.
http://www.mediafire...php?1ottjw0wgtn

That's strange. I checked my FileFront page and chimera.zip is listed as 6.9MB. I wonder what is actually there? I will use the link you provided while I try to figure out what is going on. Thanks.

Edit: You were right about FileFront messing up. That appears to be a skin for Jedi Knight. They have been making some changes to the New FileFront over the last few days. I submitted a ticket to them about all the files I had uploaded not showing up on my manage files page. I noticed they fixed that problem today. I guess there are a few more bugs they are going to need to work on. I will delete chimera.zip tomorrow and upload it again and see what happens.

This post has been edited by eddym4814: 03 July 2009 - 09:38 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Forgot to mention Platoon, it's awesome if people can't find NAM anywhere for sale.

View PostDaedolon, on Jul 4 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

Forgot to mention Platoon, it's awesome if people can't find NAM anywhere for sale.

I have Platoon there already. So far I added DaikariN, The Gate, Platoon and Starship Troopers to the page. I figure on adding Duke Plus, Grins of Divinity, Last Reaction and Water Bases and WGRealms tomorrow. I think I will stop there for now. By only listing eight mods I can add some new mods when they get released without feeling like I should remove any older ones. Popular Duke Mods

This post has been edited by eddym4814: 04 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options