Duke4.net Forums: Has anyone else wondered why the Duke Burger mascot has a different hairstyle? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has anyone else wondered why the Duke Burger mascot has a different hairstyle?

User is offline   the_raven 

Most notably seen on the spinning mascot itself (sorry, couldn't find a better screenshot)...
Posted Image
...and again, on the drive through stand:
Posted Image
So, did anyone ever wonder why? I mean, if we think about it, it couldn't be related to copyright since Duke lent his image to the chain anyhow, not to mention that the flattop haircut is a standard haircut in the military. Could it be because the pomp' just looks better than the flattop?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's satire.

User is offline   ck3D 

Yeah I always looked at it as satire of commercial representation in general that tries to push even low-effort collaborations as 'the real thing' when it's really just a marketing facade to sell more of the same basic product. I think on the scale of the game, the different hairstyle represents how even a rudimentary character design, companies can never do justice or get everything quite right in general. It's actually quite an artful representation of human error. Same type of in-universe humor as the 'you must be 48 pixels tall to enter' sign too, in a way. Also might have been a practical departure so that the player would recognize those Dukes are props and not supposed to be items or identifiable to the point of having significant gameplay purposes (or only so much, i.e.. the vending machine).

That's a cool question to raise though and that vending machine Duke has to be one of my personal favorite pieces of artwork from the Atomic Edition. Funnily enough I've been having some fun with the sprite lately, repurposing it for other stuff.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 September 2020 - 04:18 AM

Guest_Bubble Gum Chewer_*

Another piece of satire.

P.S. never noticed how shitty spinning one's hair looks until now.

View Postck3D, on 02 September 2020 - 04:12 AM, said:

Funnily enough I've been having some fun with the sprite lately, repurposing it for other stuff.

Would have been interesting to have a Duke Burger themed campaign with the DB Duke running around, shooting various enemies, from aliens to food police or whatnot, and promoting the product via one-liners, maybe even include some kind of rat map like in DNF.
Ah, a man can dream. :)

This post has been edited by the_raven: 02 September 2020 - 04:30 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJimmy, on 02 September 2020 - 03:58 AM, said:

It's satire.

people over-think the weirdest things, but if you're not from the US, you might not get the reference

Posted Image

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostForge, on 02 September 2020 - 05:30 AM, said:

people over-think the weirdest things, but if you're not from the US, you might not get the reference

Posted Image

That face looks really creepy, especially the completely out of place nose Posted Image Definitely looks like someone who would serve you dog meat in a burger.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It's possible that's Duke normal hair, and he cuts it whenever the military needs him.

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image
mascot just gets creepier as time passes

This post has been edited by Forge: 02 September 2020 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

The 1956 one is Vault Boy's cousin.

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostForge, on 02 September 2020 - 05:30 AM, said:

Posted Image

Holy smokes, I guess you're right!
And yeah, I'm not from the States. The only time I actually saw Burger Boy was, I think, in the Austin Powers movies, but that was a different character, right?.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

As a matter of fact, I have always wondered that.

Incidentally despite being American myself I've never heard of Big Boy before.

User is offline   Forge 

View Postthe_raven, on 02 September 2020 - 11:59 AM, said:

The only time I actually saw Burger Boy was, I think, in the Austin Powers movies, but that was a different character, right?.

pretty sure it's the same big boy.

User is offline   NNC 

The whole Duke Burger concept was so brilliant. I'm pretty sure anybody who played it once will remember it forever. It's just as iconic as the Stadium bossfight.

I also think the map modelled the american junk food restaurant chains very well, except with walls around. I've been in the US a couple of times and they really look like this place. Never heard of Big Boy though. At least they improved the mascot from the 1937 version consistently, that looked awful, lol.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 02 September 2020 - 04:02 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 02 September 2020 - 04:01 PM, said:

At least they improved the mascot from the 1937 version consistently, that looked awful, lol.

I guess its original design was rather in accord with the aesthetic expectations of the time, but what do I know.

User is offline   Mark 

Yeah, there were many cartoon characters back in the 30's that looked like they were drawn by the same people.

This post has been edited by Mark: 05 September 2020 - 06:38 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostThe Watchtower, on 02 September 2020 - 04:01 PM, said:

The whole Duke Burger concept was so brilliant. I'm pretty sure anybody who played it once will remember it forever. It's just as iconic as the Stadium bossfight.

I also think the map modelled the american junk food restaurant chains very well, except with walls around. I've been in the US a couple of times and they really look like this place. Never heard of Big Boy though. At least they improved the mascot from the 1937 version consistently, that looked awful, lol.

Design-wise, Duke-Burger is indeed very well done, like Derelict.

User is offline   Šneček 

I like that puzzle with shrinker and mirror in Duke Burger level. When you must shoot shrink ray to the mirror for your shrinkage due to that very narrow vent. I first noticed this clever puzzle in the Midnight Arrival map (my favorite), the second time i noticed this in Preparing for Christmas map (-by Mister Sinister), and today i saw it in above mentioned Duke Burger level. (I haven't played this level in many years, so I haven't remembered it up to now.)

However, I never thought about that mascot´s hairstyle. I was looking for a suitable topic in the local discussions for writing this.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: edited_e4m2_09_small.jpg

This post has been edited by Šneček: 26 December 2020 - 10:31 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options