Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3d 20th. Final boss is invincible? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3d 20th. Final boss is invincible?  "That crappy reskin flamethrower boss in alien world tour is invincible"

User is offline   RetroJaro 

Got to the hollywood sign and to the crappily programmed flamethrower reskinned boss... had a full devistator.. unloaded all of it.. didn't go down.. rocket launcher time.. it's full.. unload all the rockets.. didn't go down... OK... dnstuff.. devistator.. fire fire.. rocket launcher fire fire... didn't go down. I don't remember the boss being that insanely powerful in the original 20th.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Maybe it's to compensate for its useless attacks? :)

User is offline   RetroJaro 

View PostPhredreeke, on 28 August 2020 - 11:42 AM, said:

Maybe it's to compensate for its useless attacks? :)

lol. Probably!

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I think that's a bug that occurs sometimes. I thought they patched it but maybe not. Did you try reloading the level to see if it happens again?

User is offline   HELLMOUSE 

// STRENGTHS CAN NOT EXCEED 32767 (7FFF HEX)

// EPISODE 1                             sprite size
define BOSS1STRENGTH            22000 // 128 x 128
define BOSS1PAL3STRENGTH         2500 // 48 x 48

// EPISODE 3
define BOSS2STRENGTH            32000 // 128 x 128
define BOSS2PAL3STRENGTH        20000 // 64 x 64

// EPISODE 2
define BOSS3STRENGTH            27000 // 128 x 128

// EPISODE 4
define BOSS4STRENGTH            24000 // 128 x 128

These are the strengths in my mod and something that I noticed from experimenting is if the strength exceeds 32767 (7FFF in hex) the game acts goofy and one of the results is an invincible boss. I don't know what Duke 3d 20th is but there may be a Boss 4 adjustment in the USER.CON file to go beyond 32767 which I think would contradict the Hardcode. Hardcode is stuff that most mods or rereleases don't usually have changed because it is easier and better to access the text files.

Check to see if "define BOSS4STRENGTH" is set to go over 32767. I've never heard of this issue before but have replicated it with my mod which is EDuke32 running Duke 3D, v1.5.

Perhaps there is a change to the Hardcode and maybe it is not working all the time for that release of Duke 3D. Like I said just check the simple stuff that we have access to. It is in a text file called "USER.CON". Ctrl-F for search and look for "define BOSS4STRENGTH". I could be completely wrong about what the problem is but see what's there.

I'll assume that version allows you to open the text files. I'll also assume that the "flamethrower boss" is boss 4. If not then check all "BOSS" strengths just in case.

This post has been edited by HELLMOUSE: 29 August 2020 - 04:09 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Enemy strength is a signed 16-bit integer, so you can't go above 32767.

BOSS4 is the Alien Queen. The flamethrower boss is BOSS5.

User is offline   HELLMOUSE 

OOOH. Another boss. :)

Sadly though, all my stuff is based on a four episode system and if I were to have a "fifth boss" at the end of a fifth episode it would just be a palette variant of one of the original bosses. Thanks for the information though.

User is offline   Jim 

Here is the patch that gives it a long ranged attack

https://forums.duke4...p/page__st__150

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostHELLMOUSE, on 29 August 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

I don't know what Duke 3d 20th is

He is talking about Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour.

From the "About" section of the Steam page:

Frag like it’s 1996 – this time with even more asses to kick! Join the world’s greatest action hero in Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour as he saves Earth once again, kicking alien ass and saving babes across the globe along the way. Blast your way through hordes of ugly aliens in four classic Duke Nukem 3D episodes plus an additional ALL NEW FIFTH EPISODE from the game’s ORIGINAL EPISODE DESIGNERS with NEW MUSIC from the game’s ORIGINAL COMPOSER and NEW Duke Talk from the ORIGINAL VOICE of Duke Nukem.

• ALL-NEW Episode FIVE, created by the original episode designers, Allen Blum III and Richard “Levelord®” Gray!
• New, bonus content in Episode 5: Duke Nukem finally gets a INCINERATOR to roast new “Firefly” enemies!
• New “Duke Talk” plus high-fidelity re-recordings from Duke Nukem’s original voice actor, Jon St. John!
• New musical score for Episode 5 created by Duke’s theme song author and original game composer, Lee Jackson!
• Original 1996 source code and “2.5D” engine re-mastered in True 3D for PC!

It can happen in the original 20th Anniversary World Tour too. Once I faced an invulnerable battlelord sentry at the Golden Carnage level.

User is offline   Dracolich 

Hi, all, I recently finished AWO for my first time using BuildGDX 1.14 and did not encounter any invincible enemies. BuildGDX + WT would not work in Linux but I was able to zip the E5 maps, ART, CONs and sounds into an addon that works with Atomic Edition and played it that way.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options