Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D - Duke doesn’t have a Glock 17 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D - Duke doesn’t have a Glock 17  "Just for fun/Here are my thoughts on the DN3D pistol"

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I think the DN3D pistol is by far the best handgun in any FPS I’ve played in terms of its usefulness. Unlike Doom, the pistol in DN3D is useful throughout the entire game, and most will find themselves using it throughout the game alongside the rest of the weapons.

I commonly see the pistol referred to as a Glock 17 and the purpose of this post is to attempt to educate people to stop calling it a Glock 17, it’s not!

The Glock 17 is called the Glock 17 because it is the 17th patent by Glock. Some mistakenly believe it’s called the Glock 17 because it has a 17 round magazine, but that is just a coincidence. Duke’s pistol only holds 12 rounds, that’s 5 rounds short of 17. You can’t fit smaller magazines into a Glock 17 unless it is a restricted magazine (which are only limited inside the magazine, they are the same overall size as the 17 round magazines), which would not be a 12 round magazine, even in 96.

So what pistol does Duke have?

Well, to be fair it doesn’t really resemble a Glock much at all, but it certainly has the same sort of action (called a striker fire action) like the Glock pistols. My personal opinion is it is a 3D model rendered as a weapon sprite, that was inspired by pistols like the Glock, or it is a very heavily edited scan (like they did with the shotgun) of a real weapon called the Hi-Point C9. Those only hold 10 rounds though, and Duke would never carry a Hi-Point... NEVER.

The pistol has no sights on it whatsoever, besides the laser sight. This could technically be done to a Glock if the user desired it to be set up that way, but the C9 has fixed sights on the slide that can’t be removed. So it’s not really a C9 either even if it turns out it was in fact a C9 used as a base to make the model.

So to answer the question once and for all... it’s a made up pistol, but if it were to be a Glock pistol it would be the GLOCK 26, not the 17.

The Glock 26 has always had a 12 round magazine option (it ships with 10 round flush-fit magazines, but Glock makes “extended” 12 rounds magazines for the pistol), just like the pistol in DN3D. The pistol appears to be about the same sort of size as a Glock 26 as well. Also, the Glock 26 can use magazines that fit the Glock 19, 17, and 18, so to me it makes the most sense for Duke, and it would make the most sense as his pistol of choice in the 90s when it was still a fairly new model from Glock.

So if you’re going to write up anything about the pistol, CALL IT A GLOCK 26 if you want it to be a Glock or let’s get a name for this pistol that can be considered canon already. Enough with the Glock 17 nonsense!

User is offline   jkas789 

I'm not american so I know jack shit about pistols so I'm gonna have to believe on this one chief. You could try to make a mod that changes the sprite of the weapon to make it more irl accurate if it bothers you that much though.

Also I dig your avatar of duke's corpse flying in space.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 24 August 2020 - 05:41 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

gerolf, on 24 August 2020 - 04:03 AM, said:

I think the DN3D pistol is by far the best handgun in any FPS I’ve played in terms of its usefulness.

Play a bit of Rage. The pistol starts out as a good weapon. You eventually wind up with bigger and better instruments of death and put the pistol to the bottom of the list. As the game progresses though, you acquire bigger and better weapon upgrades for your pistol. I realised that the pistol was one of my most accurate and deadly weapons for putting down muts. My pistol, loaded with fat boys and fat mamas, was suddenly my best friend in the wasteland! it's one of the most insanely multipurpose weapon in all of FPSdom.

• Honored Donor

jkas789, on 24 August 2020 - 05:41 AM, said:

I'm not american so I know jack shit about pistols so I'm gonna have to believe on this one chief. You could try to make a mod that changes the sprite of the weapon to make it more irl accurate if it bothers you that much though.

Also I dig your avatar of duke's corpse flying in space.

First off, thanks for the compliment on my avatar! Second, it doesn’t bother me within the game. The game always refers to the gun as a “pistol” so that’s not a problem. What bothers me is that on IMFDB’s Duke 3D page, and several Duke wiki-style sites, they always claim the pistol to be a Glock 17, when it is 100% untrue. You don’t have to know much about guns or be American to understand this though lol but I get what you meant.

Also @Tea Monster, I played RAGE (the first one) and definitely agree with you on the pistol in that game.

gerolf, on 24 August 2020 - 07:29 AM, said:

What bothers me is that on IMFDB's Duke 3D page, and several Duke wiki-style sites, they always claim the pistol to be a Glock 17, when it is 100% untrue.

Well, this is a similar situation that reminds of myself, as when i was a kid i always thoght that the original release of Duke Nukem 3D was the N64 version.
Why? Because every freaking main image of each release is Duke Nukem with a pair of Submachine guns in his hands, a weapon that you can find in the N64 version only.

Talking about the pistol, in DN64 can be more than helpful, save up Dum Dums bullets and, with something like 32-34 bullets, you can kill the first Boss in a few seconds, quite deadly Posted Image.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 24 August 2020 - 10:41 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The Glock 17 thing comes about because that's whats in the HRP. It's stupid, I know.

The original graphics were definitely some kind of 3D model and it really looks like a Hi-Point was used as the basis of the design. You can see this on the reload frames, because the ejection port is on the "side" of the gun, rather than the "corner" like pretty much every other handgun ever. The idle frame/firing frames are HEAVILY edited compared to the reload frames, you can see the ejection port has been moved to the "corner."

Hi-Point's reputation is kind of bullshit. Their guns are ugly, but they're not bad.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 24 August 2020 - 02:25 PM

• Honored Donor

Oh I know, hi-points do what they say they do, but Duke... he has all those $100s bro... he ain’t using a hi-point unless the aliens just threw that shit all over the place lmao. I do agree though that it seems very likely it could’ve used the C9 as a model for the pistol though, especially with the ejection port.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 24 August 2020 - 05:35 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I mean these guns are just laying all over the place in the game, sounds like something that would happen in a Hi-Point homicide gun dump. I'd wager that whoever designed the pistol had a magazine or catalog of handguns and designed it from those pictures, just picking whatever looked cool.

The shotgun has a lot of misidentification issues as well. People think it's a Mossberg Cruiser or some other shotgun all the time. It's a Sears branded then-budget-priced Winchester 1300 Defender, with after-market accessories (both grips, heatshield) most likely made by Tac-Star, which you can actually still buy if you know where to look. Whoever put the shotgun together knew their shit.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 24 August 2020 - 06:19 PM

• Honored Donor

Yeah I think it’s rumored (or maybe confirmed) that it originally came from a correctional-facility in TX before it was purchased/given to 3DRs, so a police-trade in sort of thing maybe?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Pretty sure it was just purchased at a gun show because it was cheap. It's a great piece though and I could definitely see a corrections/police officer using it. It's great for defense.

I always assumed the gun was just cobbled together from various sources. It doesn't look like a gun I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a bit. Admittedly, from books mostly, but that thing is just so chunky it doesn't look like a real pistol. I don't even think a Desert Eagle is that wide.

User is offline   DevoNukem 

I like to think of DN3D's pistol as a sidearm manufactured exclusively for the EDF.

I guess it could be called the P.I (Polaris International) Mk7 Handgun or something. What else have you got?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

A Winchester 1300 Defender with pistol grip handles is definitely one of my dream guns. This is undoubtedly Duke's shotgun, as even the HUD and pickup sprites line up perfectly with it. Basically the only weapon in the game that can be pinned down to a real life weapon.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

As for Duke's pistol, trying to determine its model based on the magazine capacity is probably moot anyway as that number was most likely modified arbitrarily throughout development to balance the game.

This post has been edited by Data Hivemind Thot Entity: 25 August 2020 - 12:27 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Not sure where that middle pic comes from, it's missing the heatshield. This is a picture Broussard posted on Twitter a few years ago. Tac-Star makes the sling as well I think.

Posted Image

A Winchester 1300 Defender runs about $250-400 so it's a really affordable piece and is one of the best home defense shotguns you can get. No frills and reliable. It's basically a poor man's Mossberg 500.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 25 August 2020 - 02:35 PM

• Honored Donor

Yeah, I’m a bit of a mossberg fan myself, but I’ve always wanted a Winnie 1300, in the Duke setup. Thing is, it may be cheaper in the long run to just get a Mossberg L-series with a 20” barrel (which might not be as hard to find during this situation the world is in but the right sided ones sure are right now, but I haven’t checked left handed models), track down the forend and pistol grip (which I have seen the exact ones used in the game pop up for sale every now and again) that fit the Mossberg action, and a heat shield, take it to the local gunsmith and have him put the duke logo on the receiver, which can definitely be done but I’m not exactly sure how it’s done. Probably wouldn’t shoot it much since I don’t want the hot brass of the 12 ga shells in my face, but then again these day’s it’s not like I have any hair to worry about burning off. I’d most likely put it in a display case though as more of a display item for the game room. Might sound dangerous to some but if you own guns then you know the realities of the situation.

If I do end up doing that and it works out the way I want it to, I will make a demonstration on configuring it, setting up the display, etc. but it will be done safely and follow all local Virginia state laws, and I will address those important safety matters in the beginning of the presentation. I must make it clear that nothing i would be doing would be illegal. The video would demonstrate “disarming” the firearm to make it completely unable to be fired, but I will also demonstrate the reverse method if the firearm is to be moved to a gun safe or taken to the firing range.

Then I’ll be sure to tag John St Jon so he will get angry and block me for associating Duke with a real firearm (JK heehee). That’s an inside joke to about 2 people on this forum.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 25 August 2020 - 08:04 PM

User is offline   Tekedon 

xD

If anyone wants to replace the idle frame.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: shotgun.png

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 25 August 2020 - 11:17 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The position and shape of the ridges on the back of the slide and the ejector port are much closer visually to a Glock than a highpoint. The only thing that matches a highpoint is the chunky appearance.

I agree with Morpheus Kitami that it was probably not directly modelled on a real pistol.

The first HRP pistol was modelled off a glock as it matched most of the physical details of the sprite than any other pistol I could find, so I used the real weapon as a guide. My friend had one which was used as reference for the model. The second HRP pistol was modelled more directly from the sprite.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 26 August 2020 - 01:52 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Tea Monster, on 26 August 2020 - 01:46 AM, said:

The position and shape of the ridges on the back of the slide and the ejector port are much closer visually to a Glock than a highpoint. The only thing that matches a highpoint is the chunky appearance.

You're forgetting the fact that the reloading frames and the idle firing frames clearly show a different gun. It looks like it was originally modeled on a Hi-Point and then pixel edited to look more like a Glock.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Jimmy, on 24 August 2020 - 02:23 PM, said:

The Glock 17 thing comes about because that's whats in the HRP. It's stupid, I know.

The original graphics were definitely some kind of 3D model and it really looks like a Hi-Point was used as the basis of the design. You can see this on the reload frames, because the ejection port is on the "side" of the gun, rather than the "corner" like pretty much every other handgun ever. The idle frame/firing frames are HEAVILY edited compared to the reload frames, you can see the ejection port has been moved to the "corner."

Hi-Point's reputation is kind of bullshit. Their guns are ugly, but they're not bad.

It's hard to tell in first person, but the pick-up sprite of the pistol, which I presume was rendered from the same model, doesn't look like a Hi-Point.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The fidelity is really too low. It doesn't look like anything.

User is offline   the_raven 

I always thought the idea of Duke using a Glock (of any kind) came from a screenshot from some Duke game. I'm pretty sure I saw one at some point. :)
Still, I never thought the pistol in DN3D was a Glock, maybe the pistol that the CTs start with in CS1.6? ;)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That's a USP. It has an exposed hammer. Duke's pistol in Duke 3D has no exposed hammer.

Honestly I think Duke 64 made the best choice in giving Duke a M1911. A classic American model pistol that is still in use to this day even after a century. That fits Duke as a character. Something like one of it's off shoots that I suggested for Alien Armageddon was the SVI Infinity. It's just a sexy looking gun that packs a punch.

User is offline   duke3d.exe 

OpenMaw, on 11 October 2020 - 04:05 PM, said:

That's a USP. It has an exposed hammer. Duke's pistol in Duke 3D has no exposed hammer.

Honestly I think Duke 64 made the best choice in giving Duke a M1911. A classic American model pistol that is still in use to this day even after a century. That fits Duke as a character. Something like one of it's off shoots that I suggested for Alien Armageddon was the SVI Infinity. It's just a sexy looking gun that packs a punch.

I always thought the Duke 64 weapons look off and the pistol looked weird. Precisely because the pistol from Duke3D is an unknown one it makes it cooler to me. Also somehow works within the aesthetic of the game.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Honored Donor

Since this has been bumped, I just want to clarify that this post was only for fun; I wasn’t trying to be bitchy or anything. With that said, I do think the pistol in DN3D deserves an official canon name. All the other pistols used throughout the series do. There’s the 1911, M80 Pulse Blaster, and Desert Eagle. This one’s always just called the pistol or handgun, or erroneously.. a Glock :o

The DÜK-96 is my suggestion.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 02 January 2021 - 03:00 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options