Duke4.net Forums: Preservation of old builds? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Preservation of old builds?

User is offline   ETPC 

So, we know the old builds of DNF exist. Even the 1998 ones. Sure, they may not be 'playable' but they are worth preserving just as much as the more complete 2001/2003 builds. This is already known. Fred sent all the assets to Randy and Zenimax and whoever else demanded their pound of contractually protected flesh they did nothing to make.

But what happens when the hard drives die? The code rots, the assets decay? The cd's stop working?

Does anyone know if Fred made sure to preserve all the 3DR stuff before he sent it off to the IP landlords? Obviously they can't show it (legally), but I would sleep better at night knowing that Frank Cifaldi or PtoPOnline has builds archived in the correct manner.

User is offline   DevoNukem 

View PostETPC, on 18 August 2020 - 09:54 PM, said:

So, we know the old builds of DNF exist. Even the 1998 ones. Sure, they may not be 'playable' but they are worth preserving just as much as the more complete 2001/2003 builds. This is already known. Fred sent all the assets to Randy and Zenimax and whoever else demanded their pound of contractually protected flesh they did nothing to make.

But what happens when the hard drives die? The code rots, the assets decay? The cd's stop working?

Does anyone know if Fred made sure to preserve all the 3DR stuff before he sent it off to the IP landlords? Obviously they can't show it (legally), but I would sleep better at night knowing that Frank Cifaldi or PtoPOnline has builds archived in the correct manner.

All I have to say is:Please don't.
Threads talking about old DNF builds, they always start and end the same old fuckin' way. It starts with someone asking about their status or whatever, then it just devolves into a "LET'S CHAT SHIT ABOUT RANDY KEKEKKEEK" thread. It's getting fucking stale at this point, so please don't start it again.

Thank you.

User is online   Lunick 

Just because the builds are not in the hands of the public, doesn't mean they are not preserved.

User is offline   ETPC 

View PostLunick, on 19 August 2020 - 02:00 AM, said:

Just because the builds are not in the hands of the public, doesn't mean they are not preserved.

That's all I want to know then! Thank you!

Zenimax? What have they got do with DNF?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

The old builds will more than likely never be released to the public, or at least not for a long time from now. The files have been preserved for all this time now already, so they're not going to vanish, and you can count on that.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 19 August 2020 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

Ask again in 10 more years.

User is offline   Sanek 

Lunick is right about builds being preserved, only in private.

Lots of people's still dreaming about old builds being released, and I think that whoever's in charge of builds must release at least 1 build to the public, which would be a great sort of follow-up to Lameduke, the old Duke3D build.
On the other hand, just because there's builds/betas/alphas of the some games doesn't mean that it's a common practice to release such things in public. When you look at all AAA games, there's only a fraction of titles that have builds available for download.
Of course, DNF's builds is kinda important ones - perhaps that's the most important build in the history of video games - and they deserved being released more than anything else.

I'm not asking for builds or whine about the whole thing. That's just my opinion.

User is offline   ETPC 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 19 August 2020 - 09:49 AM, said:

Zenimax? What have they got do with DNF?

Prey.

View PostETPC, on 19 August 2020 - 02:04 PM, said:

Prey.

Yes, we all know that. But he was talking about DNF....

User is offline   ETPC 

Right, but I'm concerned for *all* the builds from 3DR. DNF is at the top of that list, obv!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options