Duke4.net Forums: Caribbean Catastrophe: 100% Kills - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Caribbean Catastrophe: 100% Kills

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Not sure if this belonged here, in Duke General, Eduke main, maps, or somewhere else but here we go anyway.

This has bothered me for a good few years now. Every time I finish this level, I am shy a staggering number of kills. No matter what I do I can't seem to find them. It's not the babes wandering around, I've gotten all the gulls, and I've noclipped to just about every point in the map.

Is it bugged? Are there unspawned actors like in E1L2? Is it a group of functions that somehow count towards the kill total? Or is there just some extremely secret area (that isn't tagged as a secret) filled with enemies that I've missed all this time?

As a completionist this frustrates the hell out of me, and unfortunately documentation on the addons is limited to say the least.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 15 August 2020 - 05:48 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

I remember this as well exactly 5 years ago when I played through Duke3D expansions last time (using Atomic 1.5 in DOSBox, for Caribbean I had to get caribfix.exe file from vogons forums and unfortunately to this day, they still haven't released a proper new version of dosbox that has this bug fixed, so I'm still going to wait until a new proper dosbox release before I replay expansions, I have many other games/mods to play as well). I definitely remember 5 or so enemies missing in first level of Caribbean. There are some pig cops that are supposed to spawn when you get captured at end of level but they don't show like in E1L2, so I assume either they spawned a bit further (like before the room you get captured) or they spawned recons (not sure if RPVs exist in Caribbean, they may be replaced by the inflatable sea monster, aka the pig cops riding those toys that launch rockets at you) which recreates the bug in E1L2 with the spawned recon that doesn't exist (as they can't be spawned), just so you can hear their "see" sound but not fight them directly, probably because it wouldn't make sense story wise if you killed them while you were already captured (at end of E1L2 at least you can kill those pig cops at end since they are right in front of you). I guess they never cared about 100% kills or never noticed/tested and it's unfortunate because as you said, there are people like us who are completionists and want to get everything in each level.

Additionally, in Caribbean, there are very few assault captains (they are impossible to differentiate due to their new clothing) scattered in few later levels of Caribbean, that if they managed to make the teleport animation, they never come back due to a bug. So if this happens (as I remember happening once back then in summer 2015), I suggest to reload the game. The only level that I remember having assault captains is the Voodoo Caves (level 6) and it's also the only one where you can find the jetpack but you probably know that jetpack secret already. I don't know if there are assault captains in other levels as well.

EDIT: Also don't forget that beach babes also count as enemies since if I'm not mistaken, they replace the enforcer.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 17 August 2020 - 12:04 AM

RunningDuke, on 16 August 2020 - 11:55 PM, said:

EDIT: Also don't forget that beach babes also count as enemies since if I'm not mistaken, they replace the enforcer.

Nah I've trying killing one to test exactly that and the counter doesn't go up. If that were the case I'd be fine with that because at least then I would know where the missing enemies are. Moreover there are way more missing kills than there are wandering babes in the entire level (also I'm pretty sure that the enforcer is replaced by the inflatable sea monster instead).

It's also not troopers stuck in-teleport. I play Duke 3D and its expansions every few months. Moreover I've often played the first level of Caribbean by itself just to kill ten minutes. Point being, I know the level like the back of my hand by now. If there was a missing trooper, it would have to be one that vanishes before I've ever seen it, and somehow does it consistently. And not just one, but it would have to be a few dozen. The unfixed kill counter counts dead eggs as kills, so those would be compensating for some of the missing enemies. Meaning there's quite a lot more than the tally would have us believe.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 17 August 2020 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Check this out (from the original Caribbean CON script):

action ASEAGULLSHIT -1 1 1 

move SEAGULLSHITSPEED 50 100 

ai AISEAGULLSHIT ASEAGULLSHIT SEAGULLSHITSPEED geth getv 

useractor enemy SEAGULLSHIT 

sizeto 20 20
ifai NO { sound SEAGULLSHITSOUND ai AISEAGULLSHIT action ASEAGULLSHIT }

fall

iffloordistl 10
  {
  ifpdistl 1900 { addphealth -1 sound DUKE_GRUNT palfrom 32 wackplayer }
  debris SCRAP3 4
  spawn WATERSPLASH2
  killit
  }

enda

The seagull shit is defined as an enemy. But you do not get a kill credited to you when it is deleted. Therefore, every time the seagull shits on you, that's another "enemy" short of 100% you will never kill.

Wow. Thanks, Dan.

Is there any sort of "don't count towards the kill total" line that can be inserted to stop that from happening?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Ninety-Six, on 17 August 2020 - 07:32 PM, said:

Wow. Thanks, Dan.

Is there any sort of "don't count towards the kill total" line that can be inserted to stop that from happening?

You can use "notenemy" instead of "enemy" but that affects clipping and movement, so be prepared for the actor not working properly. A better method is to decrement player.max_actors_killed by 1 in the block of code that initializes the actor. This requires using a var, since CON is pretty primitive, so it will look something like this:

useractor enemy SEAGULLSHIT 

sizeto 20 20
ifai 0 
{ 
	getp[].max_actors_killed temp, sub temp 1, setp[].max_actors_killed temp
	sound SEAGULLSHITSOUND ai AISEAGULLSHIT action ASEAGULLSHIT
}
// rest of code as before

I'm going to try this out and see what happens.

Still 4 enemies short. Better than the 13 I had last time, but the mystery continues.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

BEACHBABE1 is LIZMANJUMP.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options