Duke4.net Forums: Realms Deep 2020 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Realms Deep 2020  "New gaming event organised by 3D Realms"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I missed that part, how did they announce it?

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 September 2020 - 12:40 PM, said:

I missed that part, how did they announce it?

The announcement about RotT 95 official port was on day 2 of Realms Deep 2020 video(4 hours one), with Fred just sit on couch, playing it on Switch(?) and talking about it with the host, only a minute.

Well, they made a separate video already but I only know about that from Youtube 15 hours ago.

then nothing else. I want to be positive but...you know...why not just give us actual trailer with actual gameplay footage or something, not yet other "tease style" shit again...that's why complaints happened. :)

View PostPlayer Lin, on 12 September 2020 - 06:38 PM, said:

...why not just give us actual trailer with actual gameplay footage or something...

But that's what he kind of did and in the most meaningful way you can when it comes to a port on a platform. It's the same game so a trailer trying to overhype it can be awkward. He's showing it actually running on the hardware and you can see his inputs affecting the game. That's typically the sort of thinking behind those kind of reveals. "Proof not faked" basically.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The problem isn't that he's playing it on the Switch. It's all the fake acting. Peak 3DR cringe.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 12 September 2020 - 07:17 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, okay. It's a bit cringe. But everyone's crying about it like the just released Duke Nukem Forever or something. I just roll my eyes at the cringe and appreciate the content.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 September 2020 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, I agree the problem is the "acting" looks bad, while playing on Switch isn't really the problem at all.

TBH, I don't have Switch or other consoles so I don't have any feeling towards this kinds of represent style sadly...at least it's good to know the port is real and they did good job for bring RotT 95 back, minus the "fake acting" part.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 12 September 2020 - 08:53 PM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Some of you are way sensitive about "cringe". Do you go into a seizure or something? Most people are lame. Who cares.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I'm glad that there's an official ROTT port with the aspect ratio issue properly taken care of as it seems.

Personally what caught my attention the most was War Mongrels, as I find the premise rather interesting. They say it's based on real events but I couldn't find more details at the website (BTW, are the developers from the Czech Republic or Poland? the credits for their game Hatred list Polish names so I guess the latter), so I cannot tell if this is in the general sense of the Ostfront setting, or that the protagonist has a real-life prototype (which would be interesting).

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCartaphallus, on 12 September 2020 - 11:06 PM, said:

Some of you are way sensitive about "cringe". Do you go into a seizure or something? Most people are lame. Who cares.

Yes. Fresch is literally killing me by existing.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDriveDinaDrive, on 12 September 2020 - 07:01 PM, said:

But that's what he kind of did and in the most meaningful way you can when it comes to a port on a platform. It's the same game so a trailer trying to overhype it can be awkward. He's showing it actually running on the hardware and you can see his inputs affecting the game. That's typically the sort of thinking behind those kind of reveals. "Proof not faked" basically.

but the Aliens: Colonial Marines approach produces more entertainment. The replay value will last until either Randy or Gearbox's grave has been paved over to make a parking lot

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostJimmy, on 13 September 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

Yes. Fresch is literally killing me by existing.

Damn. If only I had known it was that easy.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostCartaphallus, on 12 September 2020 - 11:06 PM, said:

Maybe. Yet, the guy in question has a long history of projects that were either a blatant con, never finished or actually flawed. (You can search this very forum here, starting 2010.)

3D Realms teamed up with 1C Entertainment, last year, who are also proficient in porting games to consoles. Now we are going to be blessed with old games, from 3D Realms, to be played on Switch or what ever console. Good. Still no new game though, made by 3D Realms, to see, if they actually able to make a game, publish it and fix up the inevitable bugs. Until such time, well, they are second class in my books.

Ion Fury does not count. It was the result of hard work by Voidpoint.

On the positive side, thanks to all here who were able to watch this show, and posted relevant info about it.

This post has been edited by Hank: 13 September 2020 - 11:33 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCartaphallus, on 13 September 2020 - 08:28 AM, said:

Damn. If only I had known it was that easy.

I'm allergic to Yuropoors.

View PostJimmy, on 12 September 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

The problem isn't that he's playing it on the Switch. It's all the fake acting. Peak 3DR cringe.

Meh... I had seen the segment so I was as initially confused by the negative response as MusicallyInspired. Of all the things worth suggesting they improve in the next go-round, that didn't even register on the radar for me. It was a nerd poorly acting... if anything I'm nostalgic for the days the industry was predominately awkward nerds trying too hard and showing what they were working on. Trim the show to 2 hours on one day and cut out the geezer talk.

View PostHank, on 13 September 2020 - 08:54 AM, said:

Maybe. Yet, the guy in question has a long history of projects that were either a blatant con, never finished or actually flawed. (You can search this very forum here, starting 2010.)

View PostForge, on 13 September 2020 - 07:31 AM, said:

but the Aliens: Colonial Marines approach produces more entertainment. The replay value will last until either Randy or Gearbox's grave has been paved over to make a parking lot

Well that's why I had to go back and watch it because I thought I had missed something that indicated a false sell.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Just have a group of port developers + interesting people like Joe Siegler or Tom Hall playing Comm-Bat on a bunch of Switches. You could make a whole mini-event out of just that, with all of their screens streaming to a big screen. Nu-3DR does so much to create hype over the littlest things, somehow they do things half-assed and try-hard. That's what bothers me. They do this every time. When you make an announcement, really make that shit pop. By the time they release shit I forget it even exists half the time because they teased it three years ago and I don't care anymore.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 13 September 2020 - 03:23 PM

View PostJimmy, on 13 September 2020 - 03:22 PM, said:

Just have a group of port developers + interesting people like Joe Siegler or Tom Hall playing Comm-Bat on a bunch of Switches.

I don't care how much you pay me, I would not want to be responsible for getting that convergence of timings to happen.

"Just"... yeah no that's not what that would be.

Nu-3DR does so much to create hype over the littlest things...

Except they didn't this time. They literally undersold it which is why I had to go back to rewatch it because I was thinking "That gnat?". Your proposal is the try hard hype over a little thing. That also would be a logistical pain in the ass.

When you make an announcement, really make that shit pop. By the time they release shit I forget it even exists half the time because they teased it three years ago and I don't care anymore.

Except if there really is going to be 6-12 months between this little reveal and the final release now is NOT the time to pop. Now is the time to give people who care a minor proof of life and let them carry it on until it's actually time to release and then pop (which then may or may not be good but that's something else). They know YOU are going to see this and their final pop so you won't "forget", so NOW is literally the *worst* time to pop.

I'm telling you... of all the things to criticize them over from this event... the RotT port isn't one of them. That's one of the things they got right.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

We're on the same page really because my point is they should have waited until there was something to show. They teased a Rise of the Triad announcement like three months ago and it turned out to be just another tease.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 14 September 2020 - 09:26 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I wonder if they're going to redo the graphics? I mean, in the vein of upscales or recent HD remasters?

View PostJimmy, on 14 September 2020 - 09:25 PM, said:

We're on the same page really because my point is they should have waited until there was something to show. They teased a Rise of the Triad announcement like three months ago and it turned out to be just another tease.

Fair.

View PostJimmy, on 14 September 2020 - 09:25 PM, said:

That's the main reason why I were post my complain, they should release something ready for show to us, not use the same teasing shit again that they already used months ago.

Overhyping is bad, Overteasing is NOT good too.

:)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options