Duke4.net Forums: Rise of the Triad warp in command line - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rise of the Triad warp in command line  "Source code seems to contradict the readme"

I have been looking at RoTT recently; I have got it, but never played through it and am trying to find out more about it. What caught my attention is the freaky command line parameters, particularly that warp is supposed to start the game in the level specified afterwards; however, the source code contradicts the readme file; it takes three parameters and seems to do something with the player's x,y positions and angle. Certainly "warp 1" does nothing on the command line with ICC RoTT.

Please can anyone more familiar with the internals of the game and who has played it through, explain this to me? Or is this a case of the source release not being exactly the same as the original game (despite the readme seeming to say that it is)? I am somewhat confused :)

User is offline   deus-ex 

View PostMartin Howe, on 12 August 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

I have been looking at RoTT recently; I have got it, but never played through it and am trying to find out more about it. What caught my attention is the freaky command line parameters, particularly that warp is supposed to start the game in the level specified afterwards; however, the source code contradicts the readme file; it takes three parameters and seems to do something with the player's x,y positions and angle. Certainly "warp 1" does nothing on the command line with ICC RoTT.

Please can anyone more familiar with the internals of the game and who has played it through, explain this to me? Or is this a case of the source release not being exactly the same as the original game (despite the readme seeming to say that it is)? I am somewhat confused :)

Your post inspired me to try for myself. Indeed the command "warp" appears to be non-working, and there is no further explanation about this specific command to be found on the internet. So I went and tried several combinations of level numbers on the command line, checked the ROTT config files, etc., but all to no avail. Then I noticed that for the cheat codes in-game like level warping "\GTL" to actually function, you have to enable cheat codes with "\ECC" first. So I figured, maybe something similar is required to be entered at the command line, too? But alas, there is no command line parameter similar to "\ECC" available.

Later on trying some command-line parameters, that I had never used before, I got an idea. So I combined some commands, and hooray, it finally works!!! Figuring out the numbers for all the available levels was piece-of-cake then.

To start ROTT at a specific level use the following command line:
rott.exe now warp # (# = level number 1-37)

Rise of the Triad: Dark War (Registered) levels:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spoiler

This post has been edited by deus-ex: 13 August 2020 - 04:55 AM

Thanks very much; I though now was a command that just warps to level 1 - had no idea it was meant to be a prefix when warp is used.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options