Duke4.net Forums: [WIP] Rosario 1 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[WIP] Rosario 1

User is offline   elandy 

Hi there, I've been working on this map that i think is pretty much finished but i only ever tested it myself, so if you find any bugs please comment here and i'll try to fix them asap.
I hope you enjoy it!

It's inspired in the riverside area of the Argentinian city of Rosario (not an exact copy of the area but it has elements of it).
The map is pretty big and open area type: you have to visit several locations in any order to unlock progress to the next set of locations, and so forth. So, if you get lost check your sat-phone for the mission briefing (it's at the very beginning of the level and another one outside of the park gate).

Note: it has a few TROR areas so this is eduke32 only

Some pictures:
Spoiler

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by elandy: 05 August 2020 - 03:34 PM

I had a bit of time and i think that is one of those bastard maps with some crazy situations where is better to run away to survive, and i like it xD.

I can only add some suggestion about adjusting some collisions in some place, starting from when the player passes this area:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 05 August 2020 - 10:34 PM

User is offline   Å neček 

I tried this map. I had to turn off polymer, because the game was very lagging and it was harder to play (but this is not a problem of this map, because i had a similar problem with the Poison Heart and The Thing maps- looks like some maps for eduke32 are too demanding for my notebook). After turning off the polymer, the map could have been played at a smoother pace. That map was beautiful. I just noticed that there was a problem with the graphics in some places, for some reason. So I took a few screenshots:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 1.jpg
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (356).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (357).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (358).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (359).png

User is online   ck3D 

^ Maybe you're using an older version of eDuke32 that predates the support of TROR? (very naive suggestion)

This post has been edited by ck3D: 08 August 2020 - 09:27 AM

If this can help, i've used the latest eduke32 version, had to switch from Polymer to Polymost too for the "laggy" reason, but as i haven't restarted the game, i've skipped to talk about graphical glitches, idk if this happens when the player start the game straight with Polymost or Classic renderer.

User is online   Dr.Panico 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 08 August 2020 - 11:20 AM, said:

If this can help, i've used the latest eduke32 version, had to switch from Polymer to Polymost too for the "laggy" reason, but as i haven't restarted the game, i've skipped to talk about graphical glitches, idk if this happens when the player start the game straight with Polymost or Classic renderer.

Don't know why it happens, but if you test the map without monsters, the building looks normal.

stuff about TROR

Based on what I've seen, I don't think TROR is to blame for the graphical glitching there; I think the sectorwork is fucked. (This probably isn't the only place either...)
By the way, what tool(s) are you using to create this map?
Posted Image
Posted Image

I did a second run starting with Polymost, yes visual glitches still happens.
I've also undesrtood that i've somehow "cheated" by activating the control panel from the sides, indeed i should have found another button before to unlock it :)

Spoiler

This time the last grid was destroyed by a simple kick O_o.

Spoiler

There are more collisions to fix, at the start of the map i went inside a green crate and i was not able to come out anymore:

Spoiler

Spoiler

It still WiP, keep up the good work Posted Image

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 08 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

User is online   ck3D 

View PostToiletDuck64, on 08 August 2020 - 12:44 PM, said:

Based on what I've seen, I don't think TROR is to blame for the graphical glitching there; I think the sectorwork is fucked. (This probably isn't the only place either...)

Wow those corruptions look fucked, the word is right. I can't access Mapster32 right now to take a look at myself but is there something specific you saw that leads you to think the author might have used an alternative editor to put the map together? Just curious. Honestly the glitches in some of those screenshots look rather fascinating.

In its intended state though, from what I can tell from the screenshots the map looks really good. Some interesting, creative sprite work too. But judging from the feedback, I'm tempted to say just be careful of not focusing on aesthetics so much that the gameplay pays the price with effect and sequence breaks, as a map should play well before it looks good. Also it's a minor detail and probably a very personal thing, but I tend to find non-transparent glass basic-looking in maps (maybe because it's the default setting), so here I think they contrast with the more sophisticated look of the rest and it bugs me, but you also might have made them like that on purpose for the 'reflections' to match the level's brightness (which is fine, it just triggers my own OCD for the lack of a better term).

I also commend how you took inspiration from a real-world place and managed to reinterpret it into what looks like a fun and coherent Duke level too. That's not the easiest task there is.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 08 August 2020 - 10:10 PM

I couldn't help but notice that the swinging door had moved from its initial position within the corrupted sectorwork even though during play I had never gone anywhere near it to make it move.
So I investigated further.
First, at map start I immediately cheated my way over to the affected area to take a close look at the sectorwork:
Posted Image
So far, so good, right? Wrong. Something's about to hit the fan.
Then, I flew back to the museum's black sliding door, opened it, and then flew back to see if anything had changed.
Posted Image
In this screenshot, note that the swinging door has moved slightly.
After that, I flew back to the museum, opened the gray elevator door, and then flew back, and saw THIS:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Apparently, the sectorwork in the area of that swinging door is okay in the actual map file, but Went Very Wrong™ because the sliding doors in the museum interacted with it somehow. I think.
One other thing I noticed is that this corruption doesn't happen consistently - I tested this multiple times and occasionally no such corruption would happen at all. (Is it because of doors being blocked or something when they try to move?)

By the way, the reason I asked what tools were used is because, unlike Mapster, other tools (like the original Build editor) don't have certain integrity checks and such, which can allow really nasty shit to happen to maps without anyone noticing until it's too late.

This post has been edited by ToiletDuck64: 10 August 2020 - 03:25 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

looks like a couple sectors have the same id

User is offline   elandy 

Thank you all for taking the time to play and comment! I will try to fix all the bugs.

View PostToiletDuck64, on 08 August 2020 - 12:44 PM, said:

I think that is probably the problem. I used mapster32, and i did notice that when pressing LSHIFT+LCTRL+LENTER (check ALL pointers (manual attempt to recover map)) it deleted the entire top section of the abandoned house, so I undid it and left it as it was. So i guess i'll have to do the LSHIFT+LCTRL+LENTER and redo whatever sectors it deletes (I hope not many).

looks like a couple sectors have the same id

Also probable. I noticed that in some areas, with sector highlighting enabled (it paints sectors red when pointed at), a near white sector (non-player space) would also be higlighted, which should be impossible since it's non-player space, and when i deleted the higlighted secor, the white sectors would be deleted too. It seems I did something wrong somewhere in the abandoned house tror and somehow it fucked up the rest of the map :)

The thing is, i copied some sectors from this map to another similarly themed map i'm working on, and i started to notice the strange highlighting behavior. I really hope it didn't fuck my new map

This post has been edited by elandy: 10 August 2020 - 08:59 AM

User is online   ck3D 

OT but @elandy sorry, I just downvoted you by accident while actually trying to upvote you (for raising awareness regarding the possibility of this bug, and also for your work on the aesthetics of the map/working on a map in general), my finger totally slipped - my bad. Will compensate by giving you more points later (why aren't rep points revokable on here in the first place? I've seen other people make the same mistake before.)

Anyhow, it's great to hear you're working on more maps already! Will be keeping an eye out for them as I really like the style I'm seeing in those screenshots. Good luck with that!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 10 August 2020 - 01:34 PM

I think I figured out what's been happening to corrupt the sectorwork in those screenshots.
In an SE11/ST23 swinging door, if you put the SE11 sprite too close to the edges of the ST23 sector, then, when the sector rotates, it can end up no longer containing the SE11 that's supposed to drive the swinging door effect (I think this happens because the sector rotation process suffers from mathematical precision issues). Apparently, this causes local sectorwork to eat shit.
At least that's what I think is happening here; I don't know what's going on internally.

This post has been edited by ToiletDuck64: 23 August 2020 - 05:50 AM

User is online   ck3D 

View PostToiletDuck64, on 23 August 2020 - 05:33 AM, said:

I think I figured out what's been happening to corrupt the sectorwork in those screenshots.
In an SE11/ST23 swinging door, if you put the SE11 sprite too close to the edges of the ST23 sector, then, when the sector rotates, it can end up no longer containing the SE11 that's supposed to drive the swinging door effect (I think this happens because the sector rotation process suffers from mathematical precision issues). Apparently, this causes local sectorwork to eat shit.
At least that's what I think is happening here; I don't know what's going on internally.

Yeah that is very much a thing, in-game if the SE slips into the next sector and you check automap it looks like the game is now trying to rotate the new sector containing it instead (which usually kills the player if they're in it), or so it's always looked to me. (Seemingly unspoken) rule of thumb with swinging doors is to always place the SE11 further away than just one Build unit close to a wall, I personally play it safe and never put it in the exact corner, but closer to the center of the sector. Good thing is with the geometry of a basic rectangular door one has a lot of leeway, and in most cases doors are so thin moving the SE further away from the wall won't have cosmetic repercussions, as long as your door sector is properly designed so that it won't clip through the neighboring wall when it activates.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 23 August 2020 - 09:30 AM

User is offline   elandy 

New version. I fixed a bunch of collisions and the swinging doors that were breaking the map
Edit: thanks to ToiletDuck64 for the hint about the swing door's pivots

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by elandy: 25 August 2020 - 11:08 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

So I just finished this map and I enjoyed it a lot. I think it's a bit easier than Flag Memorial, but the design is interesting. I like the art show room, and the puzzle was well done and not confusing. It feels like if this and Flag Memorial could definitely fit together in a new Duke episode. This could make a good first or second level in the episode, with Flag Memorial possibly being the last.

I had a lot of fun. I played on CGS and killed all the enemies and found the secret. I recommend this map! It is a fairly large city map that feels that the alien bastards have taken control over it. It has a similar vibe to Flag Memorial, so maybe it is meant to take place in the same country? I'm not sure. I like the choice of textures and the clever use of sprites to make the world look how you wanted it to.

Here's a couple screenshots of the art show building and a cool TV in another room:
Spoiler

It seems I didn't run into any of the problems from before that others mentioned when running the latest version of the map. I did have a crash happen that I was able to replicate twice here is the spoiler:
Spoiler

There was also one bug that I noticed and took a pic of seen in this spoiler, otherwise I didn't find anything major:
Spoiler

I do think there are some areas that are blocked off to the player that maybe don't need to be though. I would recommend maybe making some of the water areas able to swim under for more enemies and secrets if you still consider it WIP.

Anyways, if this is your first release before Flag Memorial, this is a great first effort! Well done, and be sure to keep up the good work!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options