Duke4.net Forums: Converting Build maps to textured 3d models? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Converting Build maps to textured 3d models?  "Does anyone know how?"

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

map2stl works for converting maps, but they don't have textures. 3D ripper just doesn't work, can't tell why. All OpenGL intercepting programs are too old or otherwise don't work with build engine game ports. I got a model out of cutAlpha, but no texturing.

Has anyone had success with this?

View PostNinjakitty, on 05 August 2020 - 01:22 AM, said:

map2stl works for converting maps, but they don't have textures. 3D ripper just doesn't work, can't tell why. All OpenGL intercepting programs are too old or otherwise don't work with build engine game ports. I got a model out of cutAlpha, but no texturing.

Has anyone had success with this?

A part of me wants to say "I'll look into it" but I also know that the source for sectorCut is a mess and should probably be rewritten (by the way there's another version: http://gaarabis.free...s/sectorCut.rar and it "sort of" supports textures, but not really). The bases are there to obtain ASE files out of maps and I'm certain it IS possible to obtain properly textured ASE models, but I don't know if I have the time to do that in the foreseeable future. (I'm not being very helpful but I wanted to at least acknowledge your post).

User is offline   Mark 

Noesis converts the map but it's default textures suck and no way to change them without getting into the program's code.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Phredreeke 

if palette.dat and tilesXXX.art files are in the same folder as the map it should display correctly

User is offline   Mark 

I'll have to try that with a vanilla map and project folder. My attempt was with all custom stuff.

View PostMark, on 05 August 2020 - 05:32 AM, said:

Noesis converts the map but it's default textures suck and no way to change them without getting into the program's code.

Wow, ok, I legit had no idea Noesis was even capable of opening up Build maps. This looks promising. How do you get Noesis to show textures?

https://cdn.discorda...2040/Ayyyyy.PNG

Ayyyyy
It works, now I gotta wonder how I export this as a model without losing textures

User is offline   FRVIND 

Magnifique 👍👍👍

So I can export it and it gives all the faces materials, but the textures aren't linked for some reason.
Unfortunately it also will not do palswaps

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 05 August 2020 - 03:31 PM

User is offline   FRVIND 

So should it work alongside palette.dat and tiles.xxx with Eduke32. Even with TROR and non-Euclidean spaces???!

View PostFRVIND, on 05 August 2020 - 02:20 PM, said:

So should it work alongside palette.dat and tiles.xxx with Eduke32. Even with TROR and non-Euclidean spaces???!

Shadow Warrior doesn't have the same TROR as Eduke32 does, and Noesis doesn't do ROR it looks like (though you should be able to fix that once you've gotten a model of the map). Noesis just puts things where they are physically before the game runs.

So I'm still at the point where I have to link hundreds of materials to textures manually. Why can't it just detect the png files?

Alright I got it, here's what you do:

Put all your art files+palette.dat in a directory with your .map file.
Open the map file with Noesis and go to file>export. Make sure it's set to OBJ. Check Flip UV (Noesis screws up UV on OBJ models) and No Animations (unless you want animations, not sure how that would work). In advanced settings put
-scale 0.01 -recenter -rotate 90 0 0 -killdupfaces -dukemapspritemode 0 -dukemapskippara -dukemapshtable -objmtl
. (most of these options are just useful, some of them are absolutely required. Click advanced commands for more info and other commands. Also the rotate command might not be needed, I'm using it because it's always facing the wrong direction when I import it in Blender, but that might be Blender's fault)

Then you can export.
It will not export the mtl file correctly, you must go into the mtl file and put .png after each texture definition or else whatever model viewer/editor you use besides Noesis will not be able to find the textures.

User is offline   FRVIND 

Thanks, when I'll have a little time, sure I try all

Still trying to find a way to export the textures with palswaps. I have no idea how to apply palwaps on png files I've already exported. So a bunch of random walls and sprites are blue and it looks very incorrect

User is offline   Kyanos 

If your pngs are still 8bit indexed instead of RGB all you'd need to do is switch the palette with any art editor. Getting RGB palswaps to work is harder but doable using evaldraw scripts found with the highcolorlookup stuff for polymer.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options