Duke4.net Forums: TROR Problem in open environment - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TROR Problem in open environment  "Tror building among taller buildings"

User is offline   elandy 

I want to make a tror building surrounded by taller buildings. Is there a way (other than placing the tall buildings further away from the tror room) to make it so the tror room outer walls dont block the view to the taller buildings?
The following images show what i'm referring to:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Maybe there is there a way for the outer wall of the tror room to not be drawn? I tried setting parallax on the inner and outer ceilings but no luck

User is offline   FRVIND 

Did You use polymost? What version of Mapster?

User is offline   elandy 

View PostFRVIND, on 23 July 2020 - 09:55 PM, said:

Did You use polymost?

I know how to choose polymer or polymost in the game, but how can I choose it for mapster?

View PostFRVIND, on 23 July 2020 - 09:55 PM, said:

What version of Mapster?

Mapster32 r9142-e3946bf81

User is offline   FRVIND 

it seems to me or something similar on the Mapster console (/) type: setrendermode 4
however I use r8130

User is offline   FRVIND 

it is never a good idea that in common areas (for example open spaces) there is the conjunction between expanded sectors (Tror) and normal sectors. If it is necessary then expands the Tror even where it is not necessary and in this way there are no visibility problems. Otherwise it is possible that they are close, there are tricks to eliminate unwanted walls from the view (with the double parallax, on one side and the other) but remember that monsters then cannot interact (except through windows)

User is offline   Mark 

change rendmode = 3 to rendmode = 4 in mapster32.cfg file to enable Polymer

This post has been edited by Mark: 24 July 2020 - 06:29 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

You can't horizontally open portals like you can vertically.
It looks like you're essentially trying to connect a tall sector #1 (road) with two vertically split sectors #2 and #3

Always think of the sector as a volume, right now you have a HUGE sector (pavement or road, can't tell) that needs to see inside two vertically stacked sectors. This is impossible in build and even with TROR it is.
What TROR does is that you can literally place another sector on top of another sector via a VERTICAL portal (floor or ceiling). Same limitation of "one to one" still applies here. TROR just makes the transitions seem seamless and with design you can create "many stacked sectors to many stacked sectors" despite only visually making it seem "one sector to many stacked sectors"
The funny part comes in that Build is non-euclidean, so these stacked sectors CAN occupy same space that would otherwise be considered impossible.

What you need to do is introduce this vertical TROR split on EVERY area shared by the same Z coordinate, this can introduce bugs elsewhere and this is why TROR design needs a lot of thought beforehand since it will directly affect what kind of arcitechture you can make.

Look at existing TROR maps, i.e. parkade, and you will notice that TROR splits always come in form of stacked "floors" and there is always a wall/barrier that gets you out of the TROR area and then it's up to basic SOS tricks to connect the two layers together (or TROR)

Unfortunately, you can't use walls as TROR boundaries (between one sector and a TROR stack).

What you can do is use a really steeply sloped floor/ceiling as a TROR boundary instead; this is how TROR scissoring works.

User is offline   FRVIND 

...as I wanted you to understand above, you can do almost anything as long as you use the Polymer and some Tricks. I want to help you with your requests...

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

and the gameplay

User is offline   FRVIND 

Map...Attached File  newboard2.zip (2.22K)
Number of downloads: 204

User is offline   FRVIND 

View PostFRVIND, on 24 July 2020 - 11:35 AM, said:

Since my sample map has had a large number of downloads, I hope someone has implemented the mechanism in some of their maps. I'm sorry I didn't know anything more: neither reputations (positive or negative), nor criticisms or appreciations, nor questions. The saying always works: do good and forget it :rolleyes:

As far as I can see I don't think what you are trying to do will work unless you make everything outside TROR.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 18 September 2021 - 02:30 AM

User is offline   jimbob 

i like to think of TROR as a layer cake, you want a taller building looming over smaller ones, layer it up using TROR to avoid this issue instead of trying to create two different TROR sectors with different height levels. this means that you extend sectors above the other buildings aswell even if you dont put a building inside it.

-------------------------------------------------
+---------------------------------BBBB-----+
+CCCC-----------------------------BBBB-----+
+CCCC-----------------------------BBBB------+
======================================

here's a ascii representation. say your smaller building is the left C one, and you want tower B to be standing over intimidatingly ( and more importantly visible from all angles ) you dont create 2 levels of TROR left and 5 right, you create 5 levels that fully enclose both buildings.
thats how i did this building, using about 7 to 8 layers of TROR and a massive amount of paralax walls to hide them.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0002.png
  • Attached Image: capt0000.png
  • Attached Image: capt0001.png

User is offline   FRVIND 

View PostWilliam Gee, on 18 September 2021 - 02:29 AM, said:

As far as I can see I don't think what you are trying to do will work unless you make everything outside TROR.

I try to explain it. At the time, someone said that TROR environments could not be combined outdoors with single-layer environments. Moreover, the two places could not interact with each other. The map and video prove otherwise.

User is offline   Mark 

I've been using TROR since it was introduced but I've never tried it for outdoors stuff yet. Or ever went higher than single extended level with it. One of these days I'll have to give it a try. I have used TROR scissoring a few times. Its very handy if you decide to carve into a solid building if you didn't plan it early enough by other means.

User is offline   FRVIND 

View Postjimbob, on 18 September 2021 - 04:18 AM, said:

i like to think of TROR as a layer cake, you want a taller building looming over smaller ones, layer it up using TROR to avoid this issue instead of trying to create two different TROR sectors with different height levels. this means that you extend sectors above the other buildings aswell even if you dont put a building inside it.

here's a ascii representation. say your smaller building is the left C one, and you want tower B to be standing over intimidatingly ( and more importantly visible from all angles ) you dont create 2 levels of TROR left and 5 right, you create 5 levels that fully enclose both buildings.
thats how i did this building, using about 7 to 8 layers of TROR and a massive amount of paralax walls to hide them.

Very nice screenshots!

User is offline   ck3D 

Just to point out that there was a necrobump in this thread and OP has not just solved their issue (I assume) but also released 3 maps since that first post in 2020, before any more people invest time in trying and posting help.

User is offline   FRVIND 

View Postck3D, on 18 September 2021 - 05:13 AM, said:

Just to point out that there was a necrobump in this thread and OP has not just solved their issue (I assume) but also released 3 maps since that first post in 2020, before any more people invest time in trying and posting help.

"NECROBUMP" is wonderful!! Ah ah ah :D

User is offline   FRVIND 

View Postjimbob, on 18 September 2021 - 04:18 AM, said:

The construction appears right and linear, but what about the impact of fps? and also other difficulties: for example if You want to put recon cars there to go every layer (as it could be a nice idea), we are conscius probably don't work... :rolleyes:

User is offline   FRVIND 

...anyway do not mind because I think a mega-update is being prepared (with the use of libtess2 and arcsin +) which I hope will be fantastic

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options