Duke4.net Forums: Which Games Have You Played Recently? Part II - Duke4.net Forums

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which Games Have You Played Recently? Part II

View PostSangman, on Jul 13 2010, 05:50 AM, said:

Good lord what is it with people and their jizzing over "open world" gameplay. Have you played Far Cry 2? It's open world and it's one of the most boring games I've played in ages.

Bullshit! Far Cry 2 was great! loved the realism and the open world was fab!
Plus open world are great look at the GTA series, look at Spider-Man 2 look at Red Dead Redemption etc. etc.

ummmmmmmm wellllll
lately playing 'Epic Tower Defence'
cheap-addictive little falsh game but fun

View Postcanada4duke, on Jul 13 2010, 09:07 AM, said:

ummmmmmmm wellllll
lately playing 'Epic Tower Defence'
cheap-addictive little falsh game but fun

More like South Park Let's go Tower Defence Play!

User is offline   Sangman 

View Postblackharted, on Jul 13 2010, 05:18 PM, said:

Bullshit! Far Cry 2 was great! loved the realism and the open world was fab!

Okay now I just know you're retarded.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSangman, on Jul 13 2010, 05:50 PM, said:

Good lord what is it with people and their jizzing over "open world" gameplay. Have you played Far Cry 2? It's open world and it's one of the most boring games I've played in ages.

I doubt it was boring because of the open world. Lack of variety in missions is what made it boring. The same shit all the time with pretty much the same presentation. Although I'm not a fan of open worlds myself, it does provide some interesting stuff. Especially if you don't want to do story-missions.

Oh, and I'm playing Resonance Of Fate.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 13 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

the point is, open-world does not automatically mean a game will be better because of it

View PostSangman, on Jul 13 2010, 04:14 PM, said:

the point is, open-world does not automatically mean a game will be better because of it

Does if its GTA

This post has been edited by blackharted: 14 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postblackharted, on Jul 13 2010, 10:39 PM, said:

Any good?

Good for its time I guess, the music is wicked

View Postblackharted, on Jul 14 2010, 10:10 AM, said:

Does if its GTA

why are you talking about gta the discussion was about HL you dweep

GTA != HL

View PostSangman, on Jul 14 2010, 04:48 AM, said:

why are you talking about gta the discussion was about HL you dweep

GTA != HL

It was just an example. HL mixed with GTA=Win

And why would it be win? Please come up with a more substantial answer than "because, urh, it'll be open-world lol, durh!"

This post has been edited by Sangman: 14 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

View PostSangman, on Jul 14 2010, 08:56 AM, said:

And why would it be win? Please come up with a more substantial answer than "because, urh, it'll be open-world lol, durh!"

Well since GTA is proof open world games are and can be great, and the fact Hl is ready when its ready it would the most polished (and fun) open world game ever. Plus it would make up for the HL episode 2 con.

GTA is proof that open world games can be great... Which GTA? GTA: SA was open world, but it was boring as hell. Whereas, GTA3 and VC are great... Much like non open world-games it really depends on the game.

CAN BE is a sentiment I can accept but to claim that, because GTA games are good open world games (which I disagree with for some games), all open world games will be good by default... no that just doesn't make sense.

How exactly would it make sense to make HL an open world? Would you be Gordon Freeman, the mute guy, driving around cars, making robberies, running away from cops, etc...? I would be fine with unlinear levels in HL but to have a sandbox open-world, that just wouldn't make sense at all.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostSangman, on Jul 15 2010, 04:36 AM, said:

Which GTA? GTA: SA was open world, but it was boring as hell. Whereas, GTA3 and VC are great...

I disagree with this.

View PostThe Commander, on Jul 14 2010, 11:06 AM, said:

I disagree with this.

Yeah so do I!

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostThe Commander, on Jul 14 2010, 02:06 PM, said:

I disagree with this.

I don't. I had immensely more fun playing GTA3 than I did playing SA. The environment just felt more immersive and I wasn't bogged down by silly gameplay mechanics like going to the gym, eating, etc.. Plus, some of the added gimmicks to the game such as customizing cars were gimmicks at best, since they would just end up being lost or destroyed.

Either case, you all disagree that certain GTA games were great. But guess what, they were open world.. zomg, open world games that are not great??? :) :) :D

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostSangman, on Jul 14 2010, 03:02 PM, said:

Either case, you all disagree that certain GTA games were great. But guess what, they were open world.. zomg, open world games that are not great??? :) :) :D

But that can't be! San Andreas was the greatest video game of all time! OF ALL TIME!

Better than that old clunky 2.5D DooM or Duke Nukem 3D!

I mean, it had AIRPLANES! DooM didn't!

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 14 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Jul 15 2010, 06:45 AM, said:

The environment just felt more immersive and I wasn't bogged down by silly gameplay mechanics like going to the gym, eating, etc..

You did not have to do these to complete the game though, I think the gym you may have had to visit once to continue progress.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 14 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostThe Commander, on Jul 14 2010, 11:22 PM, said:

You did not have to do these to complete the game though, I think the gym you may have had to visit once to continue progress.

At the time, I didn't know that, of course. I figured I had to use the gym since my gang buddies kept harassing me to (and buy clothes, etc.)

User is offline   Kathy 

So you've basically went to gym so they would stop harassing you? That's the reason why having a gym in game really worked since you went there not just to advance the story.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 14 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Jul 14 2010, 11:45 AM, said:

I don't. I had immensely more fun playing GTA3 than I did playing SA. The environment just felt more immersive and I wasn't bogged down by silly gameplay mechanics like going to the gym, eating, etc.. Plus, some of the added gimmicks to the game such as customizing cars were gimmicks at best, since they would just end up being lost or destroyed.

WRONG! GTA:SA was much more fun and immersive because of those gameplay mechanics, like robbing someones house! that was a right laugh! everyone loved that!! And going to the gym helped you as for example you could swim further, which made escaping the police much easier.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

ah, so GTA was fun because of the gamplay mechanics? hmm guess the open world part doesn't even get a mention anymore.

I played through like half of Saints Row 2 which was fun but in the end I went back to Duke, which coincidentally is the game I've been playing lately.

In fact, if anything, the open world aspect is the part of these games I hate the most! I mean if there's a way to make missions worse, it's adding waiting times between missions while you drive to the location. I mean really, if I wanted to do that I'd hop in the car and do a few laps of the block. Yeah I can't go into people's houses and steal stuff, but if that's all you worry about, then what's the point of the missions?

View PostMicky C, on Jul 15 2010, 05:48 AM, said:

ah, so GTA was fun because of the gamplay mechanics? hmm guess the open world part doesn't even get a mention anymore.

I played through like half of Saints Row 2 which was fun but in the end I went back to Duke, which coincidentally is the game I've been playing lately.

In fact, if anything, the open world aspect is the part of these games I hate the most! I mean if there's a way to make missions worse, it's adding waiting times between missions while you drive to the location. I mean really, if I wanted to do that I'd hop in the car and do a few laps of the block. Yeah I can't go into people's houses and steal stuff, but if that's all you worry about, then what's the point of the missions?

To advance the story!! And its not possible to H8 open world games!!!!! Spider-Man 2 was trilling because of the open world!

• Honored Donor

View Postblackharted, on Jul 15 2010, 11:24 PM, said:

To advance the story!! And its not possible to H8 open world games!!!!! Spider-Man 2 was trilling because of the open world!

Ah see there you go, I wanted to play more mission on Saints Row 2 and finish the story, I loved the story, but I didn't have the time to drive to each one let alone work up the reputation to start a mission.

But I agree open world games can be good, I thought Crysis was amazing.

Does minesweeper count???

• Honored Donor

lol yeah it's a game isn't it... :)

I was so proud when I won my first game of minesweeper! I must have been 16, but I first played it when I was like 4...

View PostMicky C, on Jul 15 2010, 10:24 AM, said:

lol yeah it's a game isn't it... :)

I was so proud when I won my first game of minesweeper! I must have been 16, but I first played it when I was like 4...

How about 'spin the bottle' with a group of College Sorority girls???
wait that was in a movie
but sounds like a much more fun that any PC/Console game

View Postblackharted, on Jul 15 2010, 10:17 AM, said:

And going to the gym helped you as for example you could swim further, which made escaping the police much easier.

Sure, it "helped" you but it was incredibly annoying to do so. As was the whole eating thing, I'd be doing Paramedic missions, level 10 or so when CJ would start to lose health because he was hungry. :)

Really most of the story missions and such in GTA games are fine but it's all the bonus stuff that is so damn boring IMO.

User is offline   Shawneth 

I like half life 2, WE DON't GO TO RAVENHOLME is my favorite part of it, Zombie killing galore. Left 4 dead is also AWESOME because of the advanced A.I, most of it was copied from HALF-LIFE though.

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options