Duke4.net Forums: Duke wants you to wear a mask during covid - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke wants you to wear a mask during covid  "Or he will rip your head off an shit down your neck"

View PostMerlijn, on 26 July 2020 - 12:33 PM, said:

I'll never understand why the simple precaution of wearing a mask in public became part of your culture war

Because there's a difference between it being a potentially decent thing to do... and enforcing it at the end of a gun which one must NEVER forget is the only thing ultimately backing up the authority of a government. The shared understanding that at the end of the line of a disagreement, government has permission to use a gun to make you comply to whatever is under their authority. They will look for every possible (cheaper, easier) avenue other than that to get your compliance, but once a government has taken it upon themselves to declare you *must* do something they are doing so with a gun to your head.

So everyone must consider the sort of culture and mindset of a government with that ability, and what it believes (and sufficient portion of the culture agrees) it should be dictating, if said government were to wind up in the hands of someone who despises you.

EDIT: Also, if I were the IP holder of a character, I'd be very uncomfortable letting one of my contractors have free reign to inject his personal politics and beliefs into antics acted out by my IP aimed more at maintaining his personal relevance, not necessarily the relevance of the IP. Perhaps he gets scripts approved though, dunno.

This post has been edited by RunRonRun: 26 July 2020 - 01:47 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostRunRonRun, on 26 July 2020 - 01:26 PM, said:

... cut
EDIT: Also, if I were the IP holder of a character, I'd be very uncomfortable letting one of my contractors have free reign to inject his personal politics and beliefs into antics acted out by my IP aimed more at maintaining his personal relevance, not necessarily the relevance of the IP. Perhaps he gets scripts approved though, dunno.

Is there a way to find out?
I assumed this new Sesame Street Duke Nukem puppet is sanctioned by the IP holders.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

chopping my quote from this:

that's illegal and violates civil rights and protection of people with disabilities

to this:

that's illegal and violates civil rights and protection of people

and then using the trimmed down version as a launching pad for posting this unrelated and out of context silliness.

View PostMerlijn, on 26 July 2020 - 12:33 PM, said:

You know you can get fined for not wearing a seatbelt, riding a bike without a helmet etc? Or do you guys consider those things authoritarian as well (even when they make traffic safer)?

i like you bro, but don't go full nutter

you are either trying to twist up what I posted to mean something else
or
you just compared forcing seatbelts onto people as equal to forcing masks onto people with health/heart/respiratory issues; and that they both should be mandatory

This post has been edited by Forge: 26 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

View PostForge, on 26 July 2020 - 06:22 PM, said:

you are either trying to something else mean what I twist posted up to...

https://files.catbox.moe/mdb58t.mp4
This guy reminds me of Duke more than the puppet does.

This post has been edited by RunRonRun: 26 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

User is offline   Forge 

My entire participation in this thread was to defend Nintey-Six and his right not to wear a mask because of his health issues.

I don't mind being disagreed with, or proven wrong, but don't sound-bite me.

User is offline   Mark 

My dad had a legally binding doctor's excuse not to wear a seatbelt because his aneurysm could rupture from the pressure even in a non-life threatening low impact accident. He was allowed to weigh the risks and make his choice.

This post has been edited by Mark: 26 July 2020 - 07:00 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

User is offline   NNC 

What's the point of this thread in the main Duke board?

Ask JSJ.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

You would be surprised, but the countries who got the best results in fighting Covid are the asian "authoritarian" ones, such as China and Vietnam, and Vietnam got even less than 1k peoples sick/died, yes one more time Vietnam have beaten US :o

And France figured it out better than US in one more domain than Healthcare system : "Collective freedoms are starting where personnal freedoms are ending", so yes you have to do efforts to protect the others ! :P

This threat just proves a thing, many of you don't deserve Jon St John anymore, let alone the Duke, because both are connected and don't walk without the other, they have both more common sense and intelligence individually than you together ! So why the hell should they loose their time and money with you ? ;)

PS : I didn't want to make it political, but you can't post cute/funny/edukative Duke Nukem videos without getting silly comments, nasty comments, rude comments, insincere bihaviours and toxic bihaviours... :)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 27 July 2020 - 06:45 AM

https://www.facebook...11947672673588/

User is offline   MrFlibble 

It really saddens me that such a trivial matter resulted in this level of disagreement, for no serious reason.

Also it's the first time I downvoted anyone's post here :)

User is offline   Forge 

View Postgemeaux333, on 27 July 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

France

Posted Image

User is offline   Player Lin 

As An Asian, I also disappointed when this thread became this weird show...

But...whatever. :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 27 July 2020 - 06:50 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

If this pandemic proved anything, it's that "universal" healthcare isn't universal. When there's no cost barrier and demand is astronomically increased, supply is rationed. But who knew resources are finite? And why do people insist on opposing what has been common sense for millennia?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Because COVID is a fake psyop and the resulting cognitive dissonance has fucking scrambled their brains.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostR A D A Я, on 27 July 2020 - 07:16 AM, said:

If this pandemic proved anything, it's that "universal" healthcare isn't universal. When there's no cost barrier and demand is astronomically increased, supply is rationed. But who knew resources are finite? And why do people insist on opposing what has been common sense for millennia?

Strawman. No one said universal meant infinite.

View Post/Not Defiatron\, on 27 July 2020 - 08:46 AM, said:

Because COVID is a fake psyop and the resulting cognitive dissonance has fucking scrambled their brains.

Tell that to the hospitals that are filling to the brim and the morgues that are already overflowing.

View PostHendricks266, on 27 July 2020 - 09:53 AM, said:

Tell that to the hospitals that are filling to the brim and the morgues that are already overflowing.

Thank you Henricks, its a pleasure to have someone like you here !

• Weaponized Autism

View Postgemeaux333, on 25 July 2020 - 09:08 AM, said:

Every country think he is the greatest but not perfect, but US is hardly a country you would like to live/work in (especially considering the scam that is the healthcare system) !

The USA has flaws but I agree with everyone else that this is a forehead-slapper.

View PostHendricks266, on 27 July 2020 - 10:16 AM, said:

The USA has flaws but I agree with everyone else that this is a forehead-slapper.

When everything is doing well I can easily agree with you, but I honestly don't think anyone in the right mind would feel this way right now, unless driven by desperation understandably...

Even european countries with a shred of common sense have started denying american citizens coming to their lands considering the contamination risks induced !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 27 July 2020 - 10:28 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This is happening literally nowhere, dude. I was prepared for exactly this happening back in January when people were trying to deny something significant was even happening in China. The idea that anything is "overwhelmed" is absolutely a conspiracy theory.

• Weaponized Autism

View Postgemeaux333, on 27 July 2020 - 10:24 AM, said:

When everything is doing well I would concur with you, but I honestly don't think anyone in the right mind would like or even feel this way right now, unless driven by desperation understandably...

Be sure to be clear in stating details like this in the future so that others won't misunderstand you. To other developed nations our pandemic statistics are definitely terrible, but to someone from a poor area the economic incentive might still be very strong.

View PostRunRonRun, on 26 July 2020 - 01:26 PM, said:

Because there's a difference between it being a potentially decent thing to do... and enforcing it at the end of a gun which one must NEVER forget is the only thing ultimately backing up the authority of a government.

I agree that there are problems with making mask-wearing a legal mandate. It's an example of a phenomenon that goes like this: Something needs to happen for a given reason, like getting people to not drive drunk, or having them wear a mask so they don't infect other people. However, Americans are notoriously resistant to having personal responsibility, so they won't. The response is for elected officials to introduce a "stick" in the form of legislation or executive action to legally force people to do it. Does it work? Will it have unintended side-effects? Over time we accumulate thousands of pages of laws on the books describing what you can't do, and it just keeps growing. Mblackwell recommended the book If They Give You Lined Paper, Write Sideways by Daniel Quinn that talks about this.

In the case of someone who has asthma and can't wear a mask at all for example, then ideally and pragmatically they should not be the ones to venture into public in the first place, mask order or not. Not everyone has the luxury of such an arrangement though, which serves as a good example of how social function in America can suddenly break down for vulnerable people after one surprise medical bill, pandemic, job loss, etc. I don't have a good answer. Maybe wear one of those transparent face shields if you can get one?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

There's absolutely no reason to make drunk driving illegal. Driving recklessly, killing people, etc are already crimes. DUI laws only exist so the state can extort thousands of dollars from citizens every year. If driving drunk was so bad that it needed to be criminalized then they would actually make it a crime with consequences similar to other crimes, and not a money making opportunity.

This post has been edited by /Defiatron\: 27 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Because that would be pretty stupid, but it's implied on principle. Leftists treat healthcare as if it's an abundant resource. Their ideas don't actually have to work you see.

• Weaponized Autism

View Post/Not Defiatron\, on 27 July 2020 - 10:27 AM, said:

This is happening literally nowhere, dude. I was prepared for exactly this happening back in January when people were trying to deny something significant was even happening in China. The idea that anything is "overwhelmed" is absolutely a conspiracy theory.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=covid+hospital+overflow&iar=news&ia=news

Hospitals are not overflowing like what Italy faced earlier this year, yet. But I do see articles about them getting close in Tulsa, OK, Fresno, CA, and Savannah, GA, at least. Hence, "filling to the brim".

It doesn't help that that science-denying officials in Florida and Brazil are outright withholding statistics. The White House is doing the same by having hospitals bypass the CDC with their data. "Maybe if I close eyes it go away!"

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=covid+refrigerated+trucks&iar=news&ia=news

Morgues are filling up though, in Texas, Arizona, and again Oklahoma.

View Post/Not Defiatron\, on 27 July 2020 - 10:50 AM, said:

There's absolutely no reason to make drunk driving illegal. Driving recklessly, killing people, etc are already crimes.

Makes sense. So you agree that California was correct to repeal the law criminalizing infecting someone else with HIV? It's already assault to knowingly infect someone with something and there is a long list of bloodborne pathogens.

View PostR A D A Я, on 27 July 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

Because that would be pretty stupid, but it's implied on principle. Leftists treat healthcare as if it's an abundant resource. Their ideas don't actually have to work you see.

It's true that some communist ideas effectively require a post-scarcity society to work, and history has borne this out. Universal healthcare doesn't depend on this though. We could save a lot of money by abolishing the ridiculous bureaucracy that is modern medical insurance. Not sure if I have faith in our elected officials to actually implement such a thing. DC is completely entrenched with lobbyists to say the least.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostHendricks266, on 27 July 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

It's true that some communist ideas effectively require a post-scarcity society to work, and history has borne this out. Universal healthcare doesn't depend on this though. We could save a lot of money by abolishing the ridiculous bureaucracy that is modern medical insurance. Not sure if I have faith in our elected officials to actually implement such a thing. DC is completely entrenched with lobbyists to say the least.

Dude I'm in complete agreement here. American health insurance needs to be gutted.

User is offline   Forge 

We could save a lot of money by abolishing the ridiculous bureaucracy that is modern medical insurance. Not sure if I have faith in our elected officials to actually implement such a thing. DC is completely entrenched with lobbyists to say the least.

^this

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=covid+hospital+overflow&iar=news&ia=news

Hospitals are not overflowing like what Italy faced earlier this year, yet. But I do see articles about them getting close in Tulsa, OK, Fresno, CA, and Savannah, GA, at least. Hence, "filling to the brim".

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=covid+refrigerated+trucks&iar=news&ia=news

Morgues are filling up though, in Texas, Arizona, and again Oklahoma.

LMFAO. Read the articles. This is bullshit alarmism. Most of these are a week to two weeks old and they're like "In just a few days the world will be over!" Come on dude, you're better than this. The idea that hospitals and morgues are overflowing is alarmist bullshit. Nurses are just mad they don't have time to make tiktok videos and actually have to do their jobs. Speaking of which, the most likely explanation for all of this is that people aren't showing up to work, have quit, etc. These shutdowns have crippled every sector of the workforce.

It doesn't help that that science-denying officials in Florida and Brazil are outright withholding statistics. The White House is doing the same by having hospitals bypass the CDC with their data. "Maybe if I close eyes it go away!"

Funny how shit like this happens when you skip the bureaucracy.

Makes sense. So you agree that California was correct to repeal the law criminalizing infecting someone else with HIV? It's already assault to knowingly infect someone with something and there is a long list of bloodborne pathogens.

It's not just assault, it's attempted murder. Charge them with that, sure.

"Let's just replace this bureaucracy with another one!"

Get the government out of it completely. LASIK is an example of how much better things are without government interference.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postgemeaux333, on 27 July 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

PS : I didn't want to make it political, but you can't post cute/funny/edukative Duke Nukem videos without getting silly comments, nasty comments, rude comments, insincere bihaviours and toxic bihaviours... :)

Normally I would just ignore this kind of comment, but recent history has taught me that it's a mistake to allow this narrative to go unchallenged. The fact is that you made a ridiculous statement that insulted some forum members by attacking their country of origin, and then some of them responded to you in kind. Even then, most of us have remained polite to you.

You have the right privilege to make these kinds of statements here, but it's harmful to the forum when people perpetuate the idea that it's a haven for trolls. Trollish behavior exists, but, let's not exaggerate it.

EDIT: oh hi Cartaphilus, I see you are lurking. It's okay man, you can come out to play. You have not been silenced. You said you were leaving for good but you have the right to change your mind. We all do.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 27 July 2020 - 11:53 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View Post/Not Defiatron\, on 27 July 2020 - 11:29 AM, said:

LMFAO. Read the articles. This is bullshit alarmism. Most of these are a week to two weeks old and they're like "In just a few days the world will be over!" Come on dude, you're better than this. The idea that hospitals and morgues are overflowing is alarmist bullshit. Nurses are just mad they don't have time to make tiktok videos and actually have to do their jobs. Speaking of which, the most likely explanation for all of this is that people aren't showing up to work, have quit, etc. These shutdowns have crippled every sector of the workforce.

We'll see how the next few weeks and months play out. Being aware of trends and taking advance preparation is being responsible, not alarmism, and any competent doctor will tell you how preventative measures are worth far more than treatment after the fact.

Speaking of, when the government learned about the Wuhan outbreak in January the correct thing to do would have been immediately ramp up development and production of testing so that we could screen everyone when they enter the country at a border or airport. This is what countries experienced with SARS did. Instead we got the usual hoax bullshit deflection. Later, the government stockpiled a bunch of a drug (hydroxychloroquine) which doesn't actually work, but Trump still profited from. (EDIT: strikethrough)

Typical Breitbart spinning something in the worst way possible. Leaving out negative results, whether intentionally or through clerical error, inflates the percentages, but does not hide the actual infected count itself. The only conclusion you draw from a high positive percentage is that you need to test way more people to actually understand how and to whom the contagion is spreading.

"Let's just replace this bureaucracy with another one!"

Get the government out of it completely. LASIK is an example of how much better things are without government interference.

Agreed that bureaucracy sucks. Could you elaborate on what you mean about LASIK regarding bureaucracy and commercialization? I searched and found information about its history but not the point you're making.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 27 July 2020 - 12:43 PM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options