Duke4.net Forums: Door that requires multiple access cards - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Door that requires multiple access cards

User is offline   elandy 

I'm making a non-linear map that requires you to visit 3 locations in any order to get the 3 access cards, and then use them to unlock a door. Is this possible?

Related question: the door is actually a sector with a tile92 sprite (wireframe door) that lowers to a height under the floor, so the sprite no longer blocks the way. The sector has a lotag 28, and it contains a Sector Effector with lotag 21 and an activator. But no matter how I orient the SE, the floor always goes up. Why is this?

In this image, the left door is how it should look when closed, and the right door is open
Posted Image

User is offline   elandy 

I ended up changing to SE 31, floor rise/fall, to lower the floor. The only problem is my sprites disappear. Is it not possible to have flat sprites on vertically moving sectors?

User is offline   blizzart 

View Postelandy, on 15 July 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

I ended up changing to SE 31, floor rise/fall, to lower the floor. The only problem is my sprites disappear. Is it not possible to have flat sprites on vertically moving sectors?

SE 31 is the right way to go in that case. I used it the same way with lowering sprite barriers (or even build a sprite elevator) several times. Is the sprite in the center of the sector and does it match the sector width instead of going over it?

User is offline   elandy 

View Postblizzart, on 15 July 2020 - 12:40 PM, said:

Is the sprite in the center of the sector and does it match the sector width instead of going over it?

Putting the sprite where it should be in the closed position (high) fixed it for me :) . Now the sprites travel with the moving floor.

I was testing it with a regular switch. Is there any way i can activate this door with 3 cards?

User is offline   MC84 

View Postelandy, on 15 July 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

I've run into this problem as well; From memory I had a lift sector, with a smaller interior sector for the switch, which was just a wall-aligned switch sprite. If the lift started raised, and then lowered on activation, the sprite wouldn't move properly. I found that one way around it is to have the lift (or in your case, the door) start lowered and then raise it up. Obviously this isn't what you want in your map, so just set a touchplate trigger right at the beginning of the map (out of view of the door) and have it activate (ie raise up) so that when the player reaches the door it will be in a raised position. Now when you activate it 'properly' and it lowers the sprite should behave correctly.

It's a bit of a clumsy workaround but it worked for me.

Simple AND with a NOT in case the shooter keeps running when it shouldn't somehow.

Attached File  AND_DOOR.zip (749bytes)
Number of downloads: 183

User is offline   elandy 

View PostHigh Treason, on 15 July 2020 - 01:10 PM, said:

Simple AND with a NOT in case the shooter keeps running when it shouldn't somehow.

Attachment AND_DOOR.zip

That example was awesome, it worked like a charm!!!
I didn't know you could do such kind of black magic with shooters and the target tile to emulate logic gates. This opens up so many possibilities.... :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options