Duke4.net Forums: Free Speech Social Media Advertising debate - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Free Speech Social Media Advertising debate  "split from doucheworld thread"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 03 July 2020 - 11:24 AM, said:

I'm also still being surprised by people who just can't let GG go. Not having a high opinion of gaming journalists was never shocking. Reviews on most websites/magazines were just as much an advertisement as the real ads. If you told me back in the day that people would keep bringing it up years later, as if its the Satan of their religion, I'd ask what you were smoking, because that's nuts. I see it mentioned in the odd TOS of websites as one of the worst positions you can hold.

It's simple, really. GamerGate threatened advertising dollars.

All of this shit goes back to that. Advertising is killing the industry.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View Postjimmy is a stupid fuck, on 03 July 2020 - 04:26 PM, said:

I can't say you're wrong. It's definitely gotten completely out of control. I don't think it's the only thing with its knife hilt-deep in the blood, but it sure as hell ain't on a mercy mission.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 03 July 2020 - 04:43 PM

View Postjimmy is a stupid fuck, on 03 July 2020 - 04:26 PM, said:

While I'm not sure you're entirely wrong, the eagerness of it was not. I recall The Escapist originally went neutral on things, but the pressure, at least publically, was from other publications and a few of their journos. You might know the journos in question, Jim Sterling and MovieBob, two very deeply disturbed individuals. Its hard to maintain a neutral stance when almost anyone you can hire and some of the ones you do have hired are adamant that there isn't a need.
Also, its funny, GG could be considered part of the cause of today's cancel culture. If they didn't work so to get advertisers to drop websites, the SJWs might not have figured out that it works. And they say conservatives are reactive.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's not inherently advertising, but the fact that so much of online business these days is based on selling advertising space. Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, the list goes on. People make a living off of advertising so advertising is the lifeblood. It wasn't so easy to attack someone's livelihood as it is now. Which is why I believe social media as it is needs to go. Independently funded platforms is the future. People need to make their own money again. Don't sell ad space. It's too volatile. It's not worth the cost.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 July 2020 - 06:09 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 July 2020 - 06:08 PM, said:

Which is why I believe social media as it is needs to go. Independently funded platforms is the future.

god i wish

if it somehow ever happens i doubt it will be anytime soon

• The Sarien Encounter

They have reputations, but there's already Gab and Minds.com. Gab was recently blacklisted by VISA, but they take blockchain/crypto currency as well as Minds. Both are 100% funded by users. Oh forgot about Bitchute too.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 July 2020 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, but the problem with that is getting people to treat cryptocurrency as currency. It could just be me, but I've never used cryptocurrency* and I'm sure others here are the same. Us, here on this forum? Part of the top 1% of savvy internet users. If people here aren't all using it, how do you think getting Joe Reddit or Jack Facebook is going to work? For some people, Facebook is basically the only website they have an account on, which doesn't require hard things like thinking up an internet nickname. People also don't understand that when you don't pay for a service, you are the product.

*and if I did, I'd treat it more like a stock than a currency.

This post has been edited by Morpheus Kitami: 04 July 2020 - 07:40 AM

User is offline   Hank 

GAB takes echeck as well as old fashioned checks. It just takes a few days for it to clear. I have bitcoins, but I don’t like the idea of all my transactions being public. Yeah. Yeah, no one knows it’s you, and pink unicorns roam in Cali.
As for VISA, how many are willing to dish this corrupt entity? I did. A long time ago. I wish I could do business without banks all together. Legalized loan sharks.

From GAB
Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Attached Image: 4th101.jpg

This post has been edited by Hank: 04 July 2020 - 11:32 AM

"HAPPY TRUE BLUE AMERICAN EAGLE PATRIOT DAY LIBTARDSZ"
-Sean Hannity or Some Other Fox News Reporter, 1670 B.C.

• The Sarien Encounter

Ditching VISA for many people would be the same thing as ditching Facebook or Twitter. Which is why I said social media needs to die. As it is people are too dependent on them. But eventually it will all crash. Platforms like Gab and Minds are the future. Or maybe others that will come along.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Social media needs to die but who here is gonna stop using it lool. Better option: revoke section 230. Any website that censors opinions is a publisher and can be sued for violating copyrights.

View PostR A D A Я, on 04 July 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

Social media needs to die but who here is gonna stop using it lool. Better option: revoke section 230. Any website that censors opinions is a publisher and can be sued for violating copyrights.

I dunno about anyone else but the only "social media" I use is youtube (and even then it's more for the "media" part over the "social." If people start making content on other platforms I'll be more than happy to follow. But until then...).

I am in support of taking away the absolute control social media companies have though.

View PostR A D A Я, on 04 July 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

No, Radar.
This is wrong on so many levels.

First of all, Freedom of Speech is not what you think it is.

Freedom of Speech means that the Government and Government-Related Agencies cannot censor you.
Social Media Websites, Companies, Etc. Are absolutely not Government-Related Agencies. They can censor you on their platforms. And trust me, They fucking will.

Second, Copyrights? Fucking really now???

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

You're a goober, mate. Re-read my post. I'm advocating for deregulation if anything. I don't expect censorship in the private sector to ever cease.

• The Sarien Encounter

The problem is social media has way more power now than anyone ever thought it could have. It's a threat nobody expected to exist. Free speech doesn't fix it, you're right, so something else must be done.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Would it make sense to split this thread, finally? The debate about social media and what if anything needs to be done about it is interesting in its own right and a different topic than the original.

User is offline   Hank 

It would to me. :)

I feel like almost everyone agrees that something needs to be done. Wasn't there some pro wrestling chick who killed herself sometime this year because people were saying mean things about her? I recall there being huge outrage about that. But nobody does anything because that would be admitting they're part of the problem. Its like with fast food, and sugar in cereal.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 July 2020 - 03:03 PM, said:

Would it make sense to split this thread, finally? The debate about social media and what if anything needs to be done about it is interesting in its own right and a different topic than the original.

Dan, no, you're supposed to delete all the posts and then say "That's gonna be a big yikes from me, sweetie". With clapping emojis between every word.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Any company that would choose not to abide by the spirit of the Constitution should be boycotted by all Americans.

User is offline   Hank 

Yes, but then again, who would actually do this, and how to spread the word?
I say first we should re-educate the predominantly anti American Universities. This is where most of the bullshit originates.

Posted Image

Then we can work our way up to the media, social media and then hammer business.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The subversion Yuri talks about was so effective because they figured out how to get the amount of people who truly understand the ideas and intents of the Founders to less than 10% of the population. Our country is weak because our people do not know who they are and they have no pride in this birthright our forefathers built for us.

This post has been edited by jimmy is a stupid fuck: 06 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Posted Image

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostJimmy, on 06 July 2020 - 10:05 AM, said:

Any company that would choose not to abide by the spirit of the Constitution should be boycotted by all Americans.

Any companies and any laws that do not abide by the will of the people
should never exist

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 July 2020 - 12:25 PM, said:

Ditching VISA for many people would be the same thing as ditching Facebook or Twitter. Which is why I said social media needs to die. As it is people are too dependent on them. But eventually it will all crash. Platforms like Gab and Minds are the future. Or maybe others that will come along.

Social media is staying. It's one of these things that once it is "discovered", humanity won't let it go.

You may prefer independent platforms, but apparently most people don't. They want the addiction of half-naked selfies and likes. And they have the freedom to choose what's better for them.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Also a lot of us here use social media a ton as it is.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I hate to go all JC Denton here, but yeah, the idea of social media will never go away, it will only evolve, like everything else related to it. Just as we don't use 56K modems anymore, and we don't use MySpace anymore. We just have to choose how we will allow these technologies to evolve. Do we allow Big Tech to expand unfettered and threaten the natural rights of humans across the world?

What use are governments when corporations are bigger and wield infinitely more power?

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 18 August 2020 - 07:15 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Just answer the question.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

And human beings may not be perfect, but a social media platform with language synthesis is hardly the answer to the world's problems.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options