Duke4.net Forums: Need Help: LOOKUP.DAT from extclut turns pink sprite background black - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need Help: LOOKUP.DAT from extclut turns pink sprite background black

Download extclut from here: http://lzg.duke4.net/extclut.htm

Without the LOOKUP.DAT from extclut, the tile selection window will look as follows:
Attached Image: without_extclut.PNG

With LOOKUP.DAT from extclut, the pink background that normally indicates transparency will now instead be black, just like the background:
Attached Image: with_extclut.PNG

This renders small and/or black tiles almost indistinguishable from empty spaces, which is highly undesirable.

My question is, does anyone here have the experience to edit the extclut LOOKUP.DAT such that this no longer occurs? Is it even possible? I've tried to understand how it works but didn't get very far.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Just use the original .DAT for EditArt.

User is offline   Darkus 

Instead of using the LOOKUP.DAT file, there is a better alternative here and the fixed version here.

View PostDarkus, on 03 July 2020 - 01:12 PM, said:

Instead of using the LOOKUP.DAT file, there is a better alternative here and the fixed version here.

I've tried those and the result is pink pixels everywhere. I guess it kinda fixes the fact that there's no pink background but...

What it looks like with the PALETTE.DAT + LOOKUP.DAT
Attached Image: duke0055.png

What it looks like with Renegado's raw + def files:
Attached Image: duke0051.png

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 03 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Attached Image: excult-pink.png
Attached File  LOOKUP.zip (12.65K)
Number of downloads: 289

I had fun with this. Been ROM hacking lately and was able to utilize a simple tool I wrote for that for this.

Source:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Kyanos: 03 July 2020 - 03:31 PM

View PostKyanos, on 03 July 2020 - 03:17 PM, said:

Attachment excult-pink.png
Attachment LOOKUP.zip

I had fun with this. Been ROM hacking lately and was able to utilize a simple tool I wrote for that for this.

Source:
Spoiler

Thanks a ton!

The documentation on the wiki was a bit confusing, your example helped a lot. I looked at the file under a HEX editor and was able to comprehend the structure of it and what you changed to solve the problem.

User is offline   Kyanos 

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 03 July 2020 - 01:51 PM, said:

I've tried those and the result is pink pixels everywhere. I guess it kinda fixes the fact that there's no pink background but...

What it looks like with the PALETTE.DAT + LOOKUP.DAT
Attachment duke0055.png

What it looks like with Renegado's raw + def files:
Attachment duke0051.png

Also note that in newer EDuke32 versions my sprite translucency hack is broken, leaving ExtCLUT not fully functional. To get the test map to look correctly with its "bump" mapping and fake HDR, run it using an older EDuke32 version such as r4593. If you only need the palettes and don't care about the augmented transparency, DEF palookups are the way to go.

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 04 July 2020 - 11:34 PM, said:

Also note that in newer EDuke32 versions my sprite translucency hack is broken, leaving ExtCLUT not fully functional. To get the test map to look correctly with its "bump" mapping and fake HDR, run it using an older EDuke32 version such as r4593. If you only need the palettes and don't care about the augmented transparency, DEF palookups are the way to go.

You don't need to use an older version, simply put the following command into your duke3d.def file and it will behave as it used to:

globalgameflags 4

However, the translucency hacks don't work with Polymost (and probably never did).

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 06 July 2020 - 12:25 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options