Duke4.net Forums: looking for complex, interconnected maps that take place inside a single main structure - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

looking for complex, interconnected maps that take place inside a single main structure

User is offline   slacker1 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 08 July 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

Talking about nostalgia, this was the first website where I was exposed to Duke maps outside the base game. I remember finding the site accidentally, I actually stopped playing Duke prior to it and focused on HL. I remember enjoying Aqua so much, I even put the trilogy in the user.con as replacements of the three placeholders in E1. I still have fond memories of the trilogy, and this website as well. After that I found MSDN and AMC too, and since then I'm trapped here. Blame Solyga for my shitposts even in 2020. :P

Somehow that website was already in my browser history. The links were already visited. I guess I must have stumbled upon it at some point recently. :)

View Postck3D, on 08 July 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

IIRC back then, that stuff would hurt more than ever. Now we're used to smooth results even on most limit-breaking maps filled with sprites and big areas in classic mode on our current technology, but before the ports I remember anything remotely ambitious would occasionally lag so much or just crash the game. There's a reason why so many of those user maps (or even the original levels) were what they were at the time. I still watch the FPS counter a lot whilst mapping myself (it's just that now I have the luxury to disregard it).

Yep. My 486 is upgraded to 50MHz w/ 16MB of RAM and still struggles to play Hollywood Holocaust at a playable frame rate. Back in the 90s people were still rocking 486s as their day to day computers so frame rate was an issue on lower end machines. I had a 233MHz PII in '97 and didn't have any issues with frame rate on that thing but that was built a year after Duke3d came out.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options