Duke4.net Forums: Civvie having a great time on Daikatana - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Civvie having a great time on Daikatana

User is offline   Gambini 

I did asK him too, on the video comments, but he hardly goes through all of them, considedring the amount.

I can perfectly relate to what you said about him, his voice actually sounds familiar to me so i sure must have stumpled upon him before but just didnt know who he was. It is that charismatic interpretation of things, how he finds it funny the same you do, etc. I subscribed him and will sure take a look his content.

BTW there is cool YouTube people out there. among all the crap, there´s also quite a bit of talent.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 30 May 2020 - 01:28 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Civvie is quality content, check his video on Tekwar if you haven't. It's hilarious. ;)

User is offline   gemeaux333 

And guess what : Civvie have also found its way to Postal 4 as one of the seller npcs (he sells health pipes and look like his avatar from youtube)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 30 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

Yeah, watched the Tekwar one, i cracked a few times lol. "the pinnacle of entertainment" and then DNF´s.

Dont forget if anybody happens to know the name of Blood´s Mall of death tune. I really want to have it!

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostGambini, on 30 May 2020 - 02:23 PM, said:

Dont forget if anybody happens to know the name of Blood´s Mall of death tune. I really want to have it!

Is this what you're after Gambini? I can't seem to find the name for this muzak piece anywhere either.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 30 May 2020 - 03:06 PM

Exactly! thanks!

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Decent article on Daikatana in time for the game's 20th anniversary:

https://www.eurogame...-play-daikatana

Perhaps there was a subliminal message in the advertising of John Romero :
"John Romero is about to make you his bitch ! ... Suck it down !" > "John Romero is going to turn you into a pussy ! ... Fuck it hard !" :)

I am about to start playing Daikatana in around 12 hours, do anyone know if the patch 1.3 is compatible with the french version, and if it doesn't mess with the french setting ?

I would figure out myself, if only I found how to contact anybody related to the project...

I have played through the marsh level and don't see whats wrong asside from being a bit disturbing at first... I just had to patch 1.2 to make the game launch on win 7 64bits, rebind 25% of the keys andthe game refuse to rename the saves, I use unlimited saves and aim assistance qhich are both usefull...

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postgemeaux333, on 09 June 2020 - 06:15 PM, said:

I am about to start playing Daikatana in around 12 hours, do anyone know if the patch 1.3 is compatible with the french version, and if it doesn't mess with the french setting ?

I would figure out myself, if only I found how to contact anybody related to the project...

Daikatana 1.3 patch Team's Language Packs

Never has such problem to me as I only play English version, products on that time mostly won't have Chinese version at all...(Considering the adding supports for DBCS characters to the engine would be PITA for many devs, even nowadays it's still have problems. Other big problem is...who want to do the translation...FPSes back then just niche market on where I lived...)

At least play game on English won't have any problems if I want play mods or something...unless not supported English.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 11 June 2020 - 05:26 AM

thanks, for the moment I play on the 1.2, perhaps will look for this later if the playthrough have gone really frustrating

I tend to keep Superfly and Mikiko away from the fight, but not for the reasons you think !

I have finished it, and honestly its not nearly as bad, buggy and frusttrating at it is said, just to regret the nodes are not the best placed, that the levels are pretty labyrinthic and finding your way may take more time than necessary but thats understandable for the fps of back then, and some plot-holes

Knowing the games mechanics help a lot when it comes to play it, especially if you want to reach the 100%

the game woumd certainly benefit of a remake and possibly a VR games, if its not a sequel...

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I wouldn't play without the 1.3 patch. Managing sidekicks is only bearable with them being invulnerable. Or without them.

What I didn't like back then was that you had to choose between upgrading the sword or your char stats. You couldn't max both. Dunno if the patch changed that.

Anyway, watching Civvie's video actually convinced me to NOT play the game again. I didn't remember it was THAT bad.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 June 2020 - 11:54 PM

Actually, if you want to max out both Daikatana and char stats, play in the highest difficulty and kill every single monsters... keep your sidekicks away from the fight (thats the main reason I do that : to max experience)
the sidekicks are actually bearable if you know how to handle them (micro management)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 19 June 2020 - 06:46 AM

It seems Frederich Schreiber was working on a remake 10 years ago...

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View Postgemeaux333, on 19 June 2020 - 06:45 AM, said:

Actually, if you want to max out both Daikatana and char stats, play in the highest difficulty and kill every single monsters... keep your sidekicks away from the fight (thats the main reason I do that : to max experience)
the sidekicks are actually bearable if you know how to handle them (micro management)

I couldn't finish it. In many ways it exhibits the worst tendencies of late 90s shooters. The story, which is unavoidable, also reads like cringy fanfic. No misunderstood masterpiece here unfortunately.

View PostCartaphilus, on 11 July 2020 - 12:48 PM, said:

I couldn't finish it. In many ways it exhibits the worst tendencies of late 90s shooters. The story, which is unavoidable, also reads like cringy fanfic. No misunderstood masterpiece here unfortunately.

Who mind about story in a fps ? And yes its clearly a misunderstood masterpiece, too bad John Romero think a remake or a sequel is not viable (according to him, no editor would take the risk, even 20 years after the facts)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 11 July 2020 - 01:04 PM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Lol, that is kinda good man.

Have re-uploaded the intro, in HD this time :

By the way I have deleted the other videos and decided to redo them all in HD :

https://www.youtube....uBn7WT-d_AdUjK9

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 19 November 2020 - 01:56 PM

lol, is Daikatana as bad as people say it is?

View PostWilliam Beavis, on 20 November 2020 - 07:20 PM, said:

lol, is Daikatana as bad as people say it is?

Not at all, it is unpolished and unballanced in the early game and sidekicks didn't have the chance to get a proper AI due to technical restrictions, but it have a lot of good stuffs and is enjoyable since episode 2, and fanpatch 1.3 drastically improve many aspects
Duke Nukem Forver and Alien: Colonnial Marines aren't bad either, they just have been just as overhyped as Daikatana

The only really bad FPS are on the CAPSTONE side : Corridor7 , Operation bodycount, Tekwar

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Eh, Corridor7 is really stupid but I wouldn't straight up call it bad. It's nowhere near as absolutely broken and nigh-unplayable as OBC, and is probably better than Tekwar by a fair margin.

I wouldn't call it a good game, hell no, and probably not even an average game. I personally consider it sub-par, but definitely not outright bad. It's definitely the better of the "Capstone 3".

Well... lets say Corridor7 is just a generic Wolfenstein 3D clone then... the only decent FPS they ever made was Witchaven, but I guess it doesn't make the unanimity either

Something tell me that even Terminator Rampage is better than any of the 3 aforementionned CAPSTONE games, if you get over the underwhelming framerate of Terminator Rampage, but FPS wasn't the domain of expertise of Bethesda so its mostly forgivable...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 21 November 2020 - 10:02 PM

Lol capstone was just a mediocre studio at it's best

There is just one question that remains unanswered : who own the Capstone IPs ?
Does anyone have a clue ?
We only know that Capstone was a IntraCorp subsidiary...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 23 November 2020 - 08:18 AM

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View Postgemeaux333, on 21 November 2020 - 08:16 AM, said:

Not at all, it is unpolished and unballanced in the early game and sidekicks didn't have the chance to get a proper AI due to technical restrictions, but it have a lot of good stuffs and is enjoyable since episode 2, and fanpatch 1.3 drastically improve many aspects

Agreed. Daikatana is nowhere near as bad of a game as people say it is. I played Daikatana some months ago (Using 1.3 patch, Shogun difficulty and without companions). Episode 1 was annoying with all those frogs and dragonflies in early parts and dead accurate hitscan enemies later on (though maybe it might have been less annoying had I not played it on Hard difficulty).

Once you get past that episode is where the game really changes for the better. Episodes 2 and 3 flow smoothly with almost none of the annoying issues of Episode 1 while also having quite good aesthetics. Episode 4 is not as great as 2 and 3, but it is still miles better than Episode 1. Hell, I would say that overall, I actually ended up enjoying Daikatana and I may do a walkthrough again somewhere down in the future.

As far as companions are concerned, I think the game is played best without them, even if it is your first ever walkthrough. I think Civvie did the game dirty by playing the game in the worst possible way (with sidekicks AND using save gems) while I wish he had shown how to play the game in the best possible way (without companions and using regular saves).

I think this review below is the best retrospective review of Daikatana I have read (even though I won't say that Daikatana is better than Quake2):
Daikatana is better than Quake II – Cloaked Thargoid (wordpress.com)

View PostGantonio865, on 22 November 2020 - 05:11 PM, said:

Lol capstone was just a mediocre studio at it's best

Agreed here as well. Corridor 7 and Witchaven are arguably their best games, but even these are pretty mediocre games

Me and Geomancien are streaming Daikatana at the present moment :

https://www.twitch.t...hives&sort=time

more to come...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 01 March 2021 - 04:32 PM

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/935445304

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/935465525

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options