Duke4.net Forums: eDuke32 freezes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

eDuke32 freezes

User is offline   Vadim Z 

Hello!

I'm a bit confused with a very strange behaviour of eDuke32. When I start it soon after the PC has booted up everything is OK. But after some time eDuke32 starts freezing after a couple of seconds after start. Like on the video below:

https://youtu.be/elX_L6lwab8

Video is mute, but the music continues playing even when eDuke32 is not responding.

Only Chrome, Word and Remote Desktop are mainly used during uptime.

Tried versions r8675, r8798, r8930.

I dunno what can cause such behaviour...

My system: Win10, i3-3220, RAM 8G.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Vadim Z: 13 May 2020 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Considering that your palette is corrupted and you're using Intel HD2500 with windows 10, it might be a driver issue.
This graphics chip is no longer supported on Win10 and might be the source of your issues.

Were it so wouldn't it cause problems all the time?

Thanks!

P.S. The pallette in the start screen is the only place where it is corrupted. And it's quite an old issue. Interestingly, in Raze the pallette in start screen is absolutely normal for me.
Whether the freezing occurs again I'll check Raze as well due to its codebase origins ;)

This post has been edited by Vadim Z: 13 May 2020 - 08:42 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Driver bugs are what they are, specific conditions might trigger it.
One option is to try software rendering to see if that makes a difference (And try an older build from 2-3 years ago where it relies very little on GL to do even software)

User is offline   Player Lin 

Raze's Polymost renderer has been refactored and separated from OpenGL(and the only renderer in Raze, according the "Raze - An Introduction" thread on ZDoom.org forum) so it may be why not affected by this driver bug I guess...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 14 May 2020 - 02:12 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 14 May 2020 - 02:11 AM, said:

Raze's Polymost renderer has been refactored and separated from OpenGL(and the only renderer in Raze, according the "Raze - An Introduction" thread on ZDoom.org forum) so it may be why not affected by this driver bug I guess...

Thanks everybody! Sorry for disturbing, maybe it's only my fault...

I've updated all the drivers, so let's see whether it helps.

By the way, I switched renderer from Polymost to Polymer and the color glitch disappeared. So maybe it has something to do with Polymost (as I remember no glitches in classic renderer).

This post has been edited by Vadim Z: 14 May 2020 - 09:41 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostVadim Z, on 14 May 2020 - 09:40 AM, said:

By the way, I switched renderer from Polymost to Polymer and the color glitch disappeared.

Your framerate is going to disappear too.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 14 May 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

Your framerate is going to disappear too.

Yep, but it was only a statement of fact. I still mainly use Polymost as the glitch appears only in starting splashscreen and in Color Options menu (two palces I don't see very often).
Thanks everybody, the problem seems to be caused by driver issues as oasiz suggested. Everything is OK now.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options