Duke4.net Forums: Finally done with my City map - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finally done with my City map

So, after like 20 years, I finally got back into making maps. This one is one Ive been cooking up for a month, now. I started with a map that I didn't really plan out and wound up running into the maximum wall limitation (I have like 16,383 walls as my limit, but my cousin only has like 8500 as his max. Im curious as to why its different) so, I kinda scrapped it and remixed it, cutting some of the unnecessary stuff and putting in a couple things I wanted to do.

A couple things, this map relies on a ton of custom tileart and also my custom Game, User and Defs.con files. Im gonna post them up here. Make sure you use them if you are gonna play it.

I think you all will really like it. Feel free to ask any questions or shoot me any compliments.

Just remember, don't forget to check your emails in the game and don't forget the yellow card key on your nightstand. You are gonna need it.

-AUTOSHOP2.MAP

TILES000.ART

TILES009.ART

TILES013.ART

TILES014.ART

TILES015.ART

TILES020.ART

TILES021.ART

TILES022.ART

TILES023.ART

TILES024.ART

TILES025.ART

TILES026.ART

GAME.CON

USER.CON

DEFS.CON

names.h

If you have any problems uploading those, you can send me an email Helldriver55@yahoo.com and I can send you the files.

Also, My only intellectual property is SOME of the tileart. Theres a lot of Shadow Warrior, Nam, Doom and Duke Nukem World Tour tileart I put in there. I don't own any of the rights. They go to the creators.

Enjoy and Happy Hunting!

This post has been edited by Ottopartz460: 04 May 2020 - 11:33 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

AUTOSHOP2.zip

User is offline   necroslut 

This won't launch on recent versions of ED32 due to a undefined quote (quote 142). It's a simple fix (and really not something that *should* result in a "crash" – it's broken plenty of old mods....) but you might want to be aware.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 05 May 2020 - 01:41 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

AUTOSHOP2.zip updated with temporary USER.CON fix.
definequote 142       QUOTE 142: CHINESEFOOD

So I'm stuck. I've got the yellow key and a jetpack, and I've found the red door as well as a "locked" door with a broken button. Explored the two city areas, the two underwater areas and every building I could find (there's quite a lot). It's a common "issue" with large, open urban levels like this that they can become quite difficult to navigate...
I also got stuck in one spot and hat to cheat to get out – behind the bus in the destroyed building, you can get in but not out.

It really feels like a 20 year old map in many ways, for better or worse (not meant as an insult, I like that style). Some areas look very nice, other look a bit rushed and basic. The new art was quite hit-and-miss; some looks good while others suffer from bad color conversion with stray fullbright pixels (car textures), noise pixels (such as the pizza and chinese food) or just clashing art styles (again, pizza and chinese food).

Well, the red lock is for the fenced in gate. Once you unlock it, then go through the gate and theres a yellow card slot on the dash of Dukes car.

Im pretty sure I defined all the quotes, but Ill go back and look. It runs on eduke32 fine for me. The pizza and chinese food were just supposed to be junk but then I decided to make them give you health.

I was trying to focus on turkey and side like Duke Nukem 1

And when you got stuck, you couldnt jump onto the RV by the collapsed building?

Ill have to put something there.

Thanks for the input.

And, no its not a 20 year old map, but I have been out of practice for 20 years.

View PostOttopartz460, on 05 May 2020 - 10:59 AM, said:

Well, the red lock is for the fenced in gate. Once you unlock it, then go through the gate and theres a yellow card slot on the dash of Dukes car.

I mean, I found the red door – I didn't find the red key.

Im pretty sure I defined all the quotes, but Ill go back and look. It runs on eduke32 fine for me. The pizza and chinese food were just supposed to be junk but then I decided to make them give you health.

No, I checked the con files, and there's no quote 142. I added it manually and it worked.

And when you got stuck, you couldnt jump onto the RV by the collapsed building? Ill have to put something there.

Nope, not from behind the RV. An invisible wall should work to prevent you from falling in there, or something to step on so you can jump back out.

And, no its not a 20 year old map, but I have been out of practice for 20 years.

Ah no, I didn't mean that it was, just that it seems to follow different trends than most current maps (or maybe rather not follow them), featuring many things that were very popular ca 2000 but less used now (such as heavy use of new art, the "big open city level" format, new pickup/interactive items etc)

By the way, since you're including a user.con file already, why didn't you set it up as an episode rather than having us load it as a usermap?

This post has been edited by necroslut: 05 May 2020 - 12:36 PM

Ah. Its on the desk in the managers office.

I put the keys lying down. It looks to me, more realistic, I guess.

Does the level play ok besides it being to big?

View PostOttopartz460, on 05 May 2020 - 12:58 PM, said:

Ah. Its on the desk in the managers office.

I put the keys lying down. It looks to me, more realistic, I guess.

Does the level play ok besides it being to big?

Yeah, other that me getting stuck it played fine. There were some nibbles like some swing doors clipping into walls, but nothing that really affected gameplay.
Of course, since I got stuck I haven't played through the entirety of it, but as far as I got it was fine. A bit on the easy side though, as you've upped the weapon damage significantly (chaingun especially).

And I havent gotten to that point yet of making it an episode. I have a map that I had forgotten about from way back when that id like to salvage and maybe Ill make an episode out of the 2 maps. I included the user.con file for the quotes and also because I "adjusted" the power of some of the weapons. Thats all.

And as far as the new art,picking up things, etc, 20 years ago, there wasnt a centralized community like this (at least not that I was aware of). I also wanted to do my own mod and really the art, Chinese food and pizza were tests and learning for me.

Back then, I had only been able to use patches and other things that people posted. It got to the point that the enemies had Wolfenstein sounds, the Enforcers said "You suck-diddly-uck, Flanders and the Mortal Combat music was replaced by "peaches"

I still have that setup on my old PC but theres no way to get it to communicate with the outside world. It still has Windows 98. Lol.

Also, I tend to use the shotgun, rpg and pipebombs, mostly. The chaingun is more for spree killing for me, thats why I dont put too much chaingun ammo in the maps. Its supposed to be like a special treat, to YEET somebody down the street, lol.

View PostOttopartz460, on 05 May 2020 - 01:06 PM, said:

And I havent gotten to that point yet of making it an episode. I have a map that I had forgotten about from way back when that id like to salvage and maybe Ill make an episode out of the 2 maps. I included the user.con file for the quotes and also because I "adjusted" the power of some of the weapons. Thats all.

I didn't mean splitting it up into a full episode – although now that you mention it that idea did cross my mind when playing – just making it selectable from the episode select screen, like a one-level episode.

And as far as the new art,picking up things, etc, 20 years ago, there wasnt a centralized community like this (at least not that I was aware of). I also wanted to do my own mod and really the art, Chinese food and pizza were tests and learning for me.

Again, I didn't mean it like a negative thing at all. It just reminded me a lot of older mods/maps (which is something I'm still into).

View PostOttopartz460, on 05 May 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

Also, I tend to use the shotgun, rpg and pipebombs, mostly. The chaingun is more for spree killing for me, thats why I dont put too much chaingun ammo in the maps. Its supposed to be like a special treat, to YEET somebody down the street, lol.

Well, I ended up with over a thousand rounds of chaingun ammo, so it felt like plenty. I'm gonna give it another try to see if I can find my way...

Edit: Ok, so now I beat it. I hadn't realized I could go into the auto shop – it looked like it was locked with the red key, so I didn't even try opening the door. It would have been less confusing if the gate and lock was deeper down the alley, or otherwise further away from the door, since the gate doesn't look like something openable but the door does...
Overall, I enjoyed it.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 05 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

Im gonna fix that. I might make a sign or move the lock over to the other side of the gate.

That and fix the area that you can get trapped in.

User is offline   Sangman 

Played this for a while until I got to the red key slot. I also missed the red key but can't really be bothered to search for it even with your declaration that it's in the manager's office (wherever that is)

I guess I get what you were going for, ie. making a city feel like a real place with believable locations. But pretty much every room you get into is cramped (making rooms "realistically sized" doesn't work in Duke maps and I think this map is some good evidence of this), often with basic design and doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than window dressing..
Also not quite sure why you changed the CON files the way you did, the chaingun is so powerful it one hit kills everything and throws enemies across the map ;)

It's not the kind of map that appeals to me, but your mileage may vary.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 06 May 2020 - 12:41 PM

View PostSangman, on 06 May 2020 - 12:38 PM, said:

Played this for a while until I got to the red key slot. I also missed the red key but can't really be bothered to search for it even with your declaration that it's in the manager's office (wherever that is.

Not that you're likely to care, but the manager's office is – and this is the confusing part – in the auto shop right next to the red lock. Just open the door next to the red lock, the one that looks like it's locked by the red lock but isn't, and it's in there...

But, yes – it is a bit cramped. This is something it shares with a lot of other maps, and what's made me for my own mapping lately go "enlarge, enlarge, enlarge"... Even when you think it's too big – enlare, enlarge, enlarge.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 06 May 2020 - 12:49 PM

User is offline   slacker1 

I played this map and enjoyed it. I think it took me around 52 minutes to complete because I also thought the auto shop was locked by the red key. I ended up roaming around the map for a bit before I went back over to the auto shop and tried the door for the heck of it and realized that the keycard was for the fence instead. I also missed the keycard on the manager's desk the first time which lead me to wander around and re-explore everywhere again before heading back to the apartment to re-read the email. I didn't see the key because an enforcer had dropped dead on the desk.

I agree with the previous post that it definitely has a classic duke mod feel. (Not a bad thing). The one building to the left when you exit the hotel reminded me of an old map New York Plaza (Link: https://www.dukemaps...new-york-plaza/ )

All in all, I had a good time playing it. I think I ended with over 2k chaingun ammo. Haven't played a sprawling city level like that in a long time.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options