Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Bioshock Singleplayer Level - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Bioshock Singleplayer Level

Hello fellow Dukers,

I have been working on this map for years (with breaks) and it is finally time to release it.

This is Bioshock meets Duke Nukem. Duke has to go to Rapture to eliminate the source of alien activity.
Ammunition and health is hidden around the level and you might want to be careful when entering the next room.

Attached Image: bioshockpic1.png Attached Image: bioshockpic2.png Attached Image: bioshockpic3.png Attached Image: bioshockpic4.png

I've spent a ton of time with the details, shading, sprites and everything. After releasing the BioshockDM map I took the feedback into consideration to try and improve myself to make this map, so I hope you'll enjoy it.

The "Dark" version is the original. If it is too dark for you then I recommend that you turn up brightness before trying the "Bright" version.

I really hope you will enjoy it.
Have fun ;)

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

That looks really good! I'm looking forward to playing this tonight.

User is offline   Dukebot 

I love bioshock and I love Duke, so I'm sure I will love this map. The screenshoots are looking very good, will play your map soon!

User is offline   Merlijn 

Just played it (dark version), and it's an amazing piece of mapping.
It's hard to believe this is all done without additional art. My jaw was on the floor several times.
You weren't kidding when you said you spent a ton of time on this, thanks for sharing! ;)

Also the music really compliments the atmosphere as well, and the set pieces are all well thought out.

Encountered 2 bugs:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 28 April 2020 - 11:43 AM

User is online   Mark 

What a coincidence. Yesterday I was going thru old maps looking for something and one of them I loaded up was Bioshock from 2014. I'll have to see if its your map from back then or a different map with the same name.

EDIT: The only similarity I found was the staircase at the start.

This post has been edited by Mark: 28 April 2020 - 02:32 PM

User is online   ck3D 

Could have found some time to try and play this tonight but my old computer kept rejecting the .rar file for some reason (probably on my end), I'll retry from a different computer soon. I haven't played Bioshock but the screenshots look really good and unique in style. Lol @ "Bob'Art".

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Congrats on releasing this. I know you worked on it for awhile. Going to give it a try Thursday night when I know I have the time, when I play I will give actual feedback.. Its really something to see this come alive.

I've been playing this map and it's awesome well detailed! Great job recreating Rapture with Duke Nukem textures!

The problem it's that I have not been able to finish the map, I'm stuck... WARNING SPOILER AHEAD!

After getting the blue card, and pressing the button that has de number 4 above it, some commanders appear on the main room but I don't know what to do after that. I searched and searched, started the map again and got stuck at the same point, need advice to progress.

This post has been edited by Dukebot: 29 April 2020 - 10:42 AM

^
That's one of the bugs I reported, it's unclear what the button does because you don't actually need to press it.
You can progress to the next part of the level without it. Clue in spoiler tags:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 29 April 2020 - 12:07 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I'm actually stuck very shortly after that.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 29 April 2020 - 01:55 PM

*=*UPDATE*=*

Hello players,

I am really happy about the comments, it's nice to hear that people are having a good time.

I have discovered that there are some glitches.
I must have play tested the map with a previous Eduke32 version, which means i didn't discover some problems that would occur with the current version.

The problems are:
Shrink ray hit detection. You are supposed to get hit by the shrink ray on top of the Fountain of youth, and in the sewers after blowing up the 2 cracks. The cracks seems to lack hit detection too in this Eduke32 version.
You can get hit the shrink ray by timing a jump correctly. I will ask the Eduke32 creators if this is going to be permanent or if it is a bug to be fix.

The second problem is the water slide. While duke is shrunk he won't be able to ride the slide, it simply won't move him. So he will be squished in the tunnel before he can exit. If expanded with god mode, he will be able to move on the slides again.
The only way to fix this right now is to manually run into the sewer hole on the Fountain of youth. At the second part you will have to use Noclip to avoid dying, or god mode if you get lost with Noclip.
Again i am going to ask if this is something that will be fixed.

As for the button that spawn Commanders, it actually does open a door that you need to get through, but it's after coming up from the sewer. I made it this way because Bioshock oftent has that back and forth map layout. Try it out.

The exit button is bugged, I have no idea what the problem is, it just doesn't respond no matter what I do. I have asked around but it's kind of a mystery. I might add some text to point this out in the map itself, but i've been pretty stressed out about his map so i'm going to take a break from it.
Sorry for that. I will probably do some quick fixes at another time.

I really hope the admins here will listen to this because i have been working on this map for years, and to find out that it's unbeatable because of an engine update is really annoying. Not that I blame them, Eduke32 is amazing and it's a lot of very difficult work.

This post has been edited by bullerbullerseven: 29 April 2020 - 03:25 PM

View Postbullerbullerseven, on 29 April 2020 - 02:36 PM, said:

The second problem is the water slide. While duke is shrunk he won't be able to ride the slide, it simply won't move him. So he will be squished in the tunnel before he can exit. If expanded with god mode, he will be able to move on the slides again.
The only way to fix this right now is to manually run into the sewer hole on the Fountain of youth. At the second part you will have to use god mode to get through it.
Again i am going to ask if this is something that will be fixed.

Ah. That explains that.

An alternative workaround is noclip. That way your health isn't reset to 100 when you're over or under.

The exit button is bugged, I have no idea what the problem is, it just doesn't respond no matter what I do. I have asked around but it's kind of a mystery.

For what it's worth, some nuke buttons have always had problems detecting presses. Even in some vanilla maps, so this might not even be an Eduke thing.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 29 April 2020 - 03:09 PM

I have discovered that there are some glitches.
I must have play tested the map with a previous Eduke32 version, which means i didn't discover some problems that would occur with the current version.

The problems are:
Shrink ray hit detection. You are supposed to get hit by the shrink ray on top of the Fountain of youth, and in the sewers after blowing up the 2 cracks. The cracks seems to lack hit detection too in this Eduke32 version.
You can get hit the shrink ray by timing a jump correctly. I will ask the Eduke32 creators if this is going to be permanent or if it is a bug to be fix.

Yeah this is why Im stuck, the shrinker dont shrink me when I get hit, so probably has something to do with the eduke32 version.

This post has been edited by Dukebot: 29 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

Noclip is the best solution for sure, especially in a map where you are supposed to watch your health all the time. So I edited that, thanks.

About the shrink ray. You can hear the hit sound from it, it just doesn't connect. So for that reason it sounds like an Eduke32 bug to me.
Duke can't teleport while shrunk either which doesn't make any sense. You can see that while entering the sewers. When i tested, duke didn't stop before landing in the water while shrunk.

Of course thanks for telling me about these issues. It's really unfornute that this happens. I would probably never notice if no one told me hehe.

This post has been edited by bullerbullerseven: 29 April 2020 - 03:29 PM

View Postbullerbullerseven, on 29 April 2020 - 03:27 PM, said:

Noclip is the best solution for sure, especially in a map where you are supposed to watch your health all the time. So I edited that, thanks.

About the shrink ray. You can hear the hit sound from it, it just doesn't connect. So for that reason it sounds like an Eduke32 bug to me.
Duke can't teleport while shrunk either which doesn't make any sense. You can see that while entering the sewers. When i tested, duke didn't stop before landing in the water while shrunk.

Of course thanks for telling me about these issues. It's really unfornute that this happens. I would probably never notice if no one told me hehe.

Which version of eduke did you use to test your map? I really would like to play it from the beginning without the bugs, so I will download that version and finish your map without having to rely on noclip or other tricks.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

The shrinker thing is a bug I'm actively looking into. You can work around the issue for the moment by toggling god mode on and off after the shrinker hits you (I know, I'm WTFing at the moment myself).

The map works for me on 20th Anniversary but not without flaws. Exit Nuke Button doesn't. Duke might not get enough speed to survive the sewer, workaround is to accelerate at an angle and hit two forward buttons at the same time. Elevator buttons took too long to activate, so just keep hitting that use key. I was able to get shrunk no problem though.

Alright I finished it. Pretty good map. I can't comment on its accuracy as I've yet to play Bioshock but it flowed fairly well.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Shrinking issue fixed in latest EDuke32, available in 10 minutes or so from the usual place.

User is offline   Paul B 

The exit button is bugged, I have no idea what the problem is, it just doesn't respond no matter what I do. I have asked around but it's kind of a mystery.

Hi, I haven't had a chance to play this map or even take a look at it in Mapster but i'd like to add my two cents about the exit button not working. Things in the past that i've encountered with a non functioning exit button are... and I'm going from memory as I haven't touched the editor in over 2 years so bear with me.

I took 5 minutes to check out your Exit button. I don't see any typical problems with it. Hence, why i struck out my list of ideas.

1) The exit button is accidentally a hittable and a blockable sprite.
2) There is a adjacent sector that has a sector tag associated to it in front of the button.
3) maybe an accidental wrong sprite palette applied to the sprite
4) The Exit button must be the right exit button sprite number. Whatever that is.
5) The Exit button should have a low tag of 65535.
6) Maybe a strange floor pal is influencing the sprite?

Things you can also try:
1) make the exit button one sided
2) Don't have the exit button touching the wall it is up against.
3) Remove the button from that sector and just put it in the parent sector at a height you can test it. Does it work?
4) Delete the button and try adding it again?

So curiosity has gotten the better of me. I've taken a deep dive into this "End of level" button problem. I've stolen the exit button out of your map along with a sector the button was in and created a new test map.

The new test map fails to end the level. If I create a new sector in the same test map and move your exact same exit button out of the sector stolen from your map and into the new sector i created in the new map it works just fine. Strange Science. At this point we need a developer to tell us what is causing the map level corruption within your sectors of your map.

***END OF LEVEL BUTTON FIX BELOW ***

If I were to attempt to fix this "end of level" button problem I would probably just create the sector with the end of level button in a new map file with the same Z-Axis as what you need. Deleting the original sector the end of level is in and replacing it with the known good sector from the new map file and merge it into your existing broken map. That in theory should fix the problem.

In fact I just did this with your map and now your map ends the level with the end of level button. Not sure how or why this happened, but it appears every sector in your map file prevents the shutdown button from working until a new sector from a new map is added to your existing map. But now you have a fix!

Nice to finally see a new Duke map released on the forums this year, it's been a slow year.

Also, 7-Zip doesn't appear to be compatible with your map RAR files. I've just downloaded and extracted the maps using WinRar for those who are wondering, its not your computer its the software.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 29 April 2020 - 10:30 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

your non-working exit button is the result of a hidden corruption somewhere in the map.
at some point one of the sectors said eff-you. Now every sector in the main map that's attached or copied from it is now secretly corrupt.

build a new room out in the middle of nowhere, or use one of those helper triangles you have out away from the main map - drag your nuke button there & it will work. Anywhere else in the main map & the nuke button won't work

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 April 2020 - 09:51 PM

https://dukeworld.co.../20181118-7187/

I don't know which version my beta testers or I were using. So i found one that semi works.
This version lets Duke get hit by the shrink ray.
It still has problems with the water slide sectors that doesn't transport duke as fast as i expected, the explosive cracks aren't responsive to devestator explosions. Though it could be a problem on my map
Neither me or the Eduke32 testers found problems with this before so it's pretty frustrating to see this happen now.

The exit button,

Thanks for trying to help. All of these suggestions are things i have already tested.
Something funny, if i place a new sector at the end of the level, place a working nuke button, it will work. The Z value for the sectors at the end of the level is about 700.000 Z value, and when i drag the sector floor and ceiling, the nuke button, down to that level, it will stop working at about 700.000 Z value.
So i'm wondering if this has something to do with too high numbers on this map? It does have around 16000 walls and more than 14000 sprites, big rooms.

In any case, this map is stressing me out, all of these problems were things i didn't expect from the nuke button, and i was ready to accept it just wouldn't work. It's not fun anymore so i think i'll just accept it has flaws, either if they are caused by me or the engine.
I was trying to create some creative level design and gameplay, this is what's biting my ass now.

So i hope you can enjoy the map for what it is, intense work on the atmosphere and level design, i hope you will notice the sprite work, i am very proud of it ^^

I might fix a few things in the future but for now i need some distance from it.

This post has been edited by bullerbullerseven: 30 April 2020 - 06:15 AM

I managed to complete the map, tried the new eduke with the fix. The shrink ray worked, but had the problem with water acceleration, I was growing up before reaching my destination, so I had to use GOD mode to go throught there.

The cracks worked for me with devastator. The end button didn't work for me as others stated. The rest of things just worked fine.

The map is pretty awesome, the ambientation recreation of Rapure Spirit it's very well accomplished. Also even if it's recreation of Rapture it feels like Duke, I mean that this is perfect, because it's still Duke Nukem but with a great feeling of Bioshock's Rapture, I have to say really really good job. This is probably one of my fauvorite maps in terms of quality and ambientation.

This post has been edited by Dukebot: 30 April 2020 - 06:24 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postbullerbullerseven, on 30 April 2020 - 05:53 AM, said:

The exit button,

Thanks for trying to help. All of these suggestions are things i have already tested.
Something funny, if i place a new sector at the end of the level, place a working nuke button, it will work. The Z value for the sectors at the end of the level is about 700.000 Z value, and when i drag the sector floor and ceiling, the nuke button, down to that level, it will stop working at about 700.000 Z value.
So i'm wondering if this has something to do with too high numbers on this map? It does have around 16000 walls and more than 14000 sprites, big rooms.

'corrupt' probably wasn't the best word to use, but there's some hidden value that has attached itself to all the connecting sectors in the main body of the map

Posted Image

I cut a section out of the corridor above the nuke button and moved it to the side - #3
- the nuke button does not work in the sector labeled #3

used rt-alt and made a duplicate of sector number 3 - which is labeled #2
- the nuke button does not work in #2

made a brand new fresh sector and gave it the same heights/ z-coords - labeled #1
- the nuke button works in #1

the nuke button was copy-pasted (shift-ins) so the nuke button in each sector is a clone
(also as an experiment, i lowered the working nukebutton & sector down below the 700000 z-coord & it still worked)
(I also tabbed & pasted the floor, ceiling, and walls from #1 to #2 to eliminate visibility, textures, and most other stats -nukebutton still didn't work in #2)

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 April 2020 - 07:11 AM

I used an older version of Eduke and had no issues except for the nukebutton. I understand how frustrating this must be, it's always a risk to deviate from the core DN3D gameplay.

A 'quick fix' for the nukebutton would be to replace it with a regular button and let that button open up a sector with an 'end of level' tag.
But that's probably not the most elegant way to do it.

************UPDAAAAAAATE**************

Attached File  BIOSHOCK1.1DARK.rar (3.94MB)
Number of downloads: 206
Attached File  BIOSHOCK1.1BRIGHT.rar (3.94MB)
Number of downloads: 181

And a link to the updated version of Eduk32 https://dukeworld.co...8894-3e43bed62/

So I came up with an idea to the nuke button bug and actually found a soultion which seems to work. I won't say everything is fixed, but it works so i'm happy with that.

I added some text right before the waterslides in the sewer. It will notify the player that he might have to use noclip or godmode, which is unfortunate but I just can't do anything about it now since it's an Eduke32 thing.

Hopefully this will work for everyone.

Thanks to people trying to help find a fix to the nuke button.
To fix the nuke button, i took a sector from the first area, which doesn't seem to be "corrupted" as forge probably correctly said. It seems that if i take a sector from there, surround it by a void area, then the wall won't be bugged. So taking that wall next to a void area and somehow placing it in a spot in the final area seems to work.
There's some weird stuff going on though, it had to absolutely face that wall, and duke has to face it too or it won't activate.
The stuff about lowering sectors that I talked about earlier. If I lowered the working sector down to the area where he could see "corrupted" walls, that's when it stopped working. So I guess there's some weird coding stuff going on that I have no way to explain or find out.

Fingers crossed this is the last issue you run into.

This post has been edited by bullerbullerseven: 30 April 2020 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

The clipping inconsistencies with newer versions of EDuke32 is why I personally recommend using Rednukem for all standalone user maps and anything using DOS compatible cons.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Awesome map. I really like how close it fits the Bioshock theme without the need for new ART files. I also like that despite it being inspired and influenced by Bioshock, it still manages to be its own thing and feel a lot like what you'd maybe find in a secret level of the original Duke 3D. Great job.

User is offline   Sanek 

I started playing the map yesterday and visuals is beautifu!! However, right now I'm stuck at he shrinker sewer tunnel. Theres no time to get through.

View PostSanek, on 01 May 2020 - 12:36 PM, said:

I started playing the map yesterday and visuals is beautifu!! However, right now I'm stuck at he shrinker sewer tunnel. Theres no time to get through.

I added some text to version 1.1, right before the waterslide it tells you that you should use noclip or godmode to get through.
Me and betatesters tested that on an older version of Eduke32. In the current version duke doesn't move at all when shrunk on conveyor belts.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options