Duke4.net Forums: Did anyone actually try remaking the new Shadow Warrior on Build Engine? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Did anyone actually try remaking the new Shadow Warrior on Build Engine?  "(I know it's kinda iffy and unlikely)"

User is offline   the_raven 

Well, did anyone?

User is offline   Mark 

I don't recall the subject ever coming up in the forums so my guess is no. I don't own the game but from what I remember from watching gameplay videos, duplicating only the many gruesome kill physics would be beyond what 99 % of Build modders would want to take on.

This post has been edited by Mark: 15 April 2020 - 09:23 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

A demake would be pretty cool though, even if a lot of corners had to be cut.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I guess it would certainly be possible to reimagine the levels with the default 1997 assets, provided someone of the mappers wanted to do that.

But I also don't completely rule out the technical possibility of something like DOOM 4 VANILLA, but I guess the fact that SW does not use CON files could get in the way a bit.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Not that I know of, but now I imagine we will see something along those lines announced soon enough.

User is online   Phredreeke 

Wouldn't it make more sense to make a game based on the original 94/95 concept for the game?

User is offline   necroslut 

I've never seen anything like this (somewhat surprisingly), but since the new ones are seriously lacking in level design I don't see what the point would be anyway. The enemies, weapons and one-liners are also far less memorable, and would not be worth porting over either.

I don't see why not. I've longed to see such a mod myself. What you're looking for would probably be a mod which adapts elements of Shadow Warrior 2013 into the framework of Shadow Warrior '97. DNF 2013 and Vanilla Doom 4 prove that such mods are possible. Though as MrFlibble said, Shadow Warrior's Build engine may not have the same flexibility as Duke 3D's engine to pull it off the way you'd want to. However, there are Shadow Warrior mods out there that have done some incredible work within the classic game's limitations, like Rampage Warrior (which fused SW with Redneck Rampage) and others.

If it were possible to make Shadow Warrior Build engine port which allowed for more flexibility in modding, I would say to combine elements of the weapons and enemies of SW 2013, and combine them with the speed, gameplay, and level design of SW '97. There wouldn't be any need to replicate anything else from SW 2013. Having a SW '97 mod where the sword becomes stronger, and can be used more often in combat would be fun. Adapting SW 2013's art style with SW '97's graphics and sprites would also be intriguing. Coming up with sprite animations where the enemies can be either sliced in half or diced into pieces would be another neat feature.

If such a mod could be made, I'd probably want bosses different from those in SW 2013. And of course, it should have interactive and explorable levels in the vein of SW '97. That's my take, anyway.

Something like Ion Fury?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postthe_raven, on 15 April 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

Well, did anyone?

Your post is very vague. What are you looking for in such a remake?

In any case, the closest thing you're probably going to find to a modern Shadow Warrior game on the build engine is the "Showdown in Hong Kong" Saga in the AMC TC.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View Postthe_raven, on 15 April 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

Well, did anyone?

Why would they?

User is offline   mxrtxn 

I would if I had the time and knowledge.

Right now the voxel pack for sw consumes the little free time I have so I guess it wont happen...

Although a new episode for shadow warrior would be awesome with new sprites and voxels and with more city centered maps( in Tokyo or Hong Kong for instance), maybe some gags to the popular consumer japanese culture etc.

User is offline   Mark 

Maybe get some manpower back into finishing Deadly Kiss.

Need to finish the last kinks in VoidSW first

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostMark, on 19 April 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

Maybe get some manpower back into finishing Deadly Kiss.

On it! at least in the art side...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 20 April 2020 - 04:51 PM

Voxels for potted plants?

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostPhredreeke, on 20 April 2020 - 04:56 PM, said:

Voxels for potted plants?

Yes! It will be included in the next update of the voxel pack also.

Of course it needs to have the plant voxelized and some retouch, many more voxels coming soon also. Stay tuned...

User is offline   the_raven 

View PostMicky C, on 17 April 2020 - 03:45 AM, said:

Your post is very vague. What are you looking for in such a remake?

You're right. I forgot that there are many ways to go about such an endeavour.
Well, I was thinking of keeping it fairly simple, in line with the original SW, more or less.
1) Swordfights already feature gibbing, so I don't think adding anything to them would be necessary (I personally hated that you had to learn sword combos and things like that in the new SW, so annoying!). Guns might be expanded, for instance SW2 has double-wielding for most weapons (at least, from what I've seen from gameplay videos), and while I think it's rather silly, it might add to the gameplay - two katanas, anyone? Then again, why bother with two katanas when one is already lethal enough? Other than for fancy graphics maybe, it's a waste of processing memory. Though implementing something like dual-katanas would mean nerfing the original one in half when wielding two, or something like that.
2) Level design, as sub-par as it might be in the new SW, shouldn't be too difficult to recreate. Though it'd have to be expanded so there's more to explore. As said by Romero "back in the days, designing a level was a matter of drawing six lines". Sure, there's more to it, but still a lot easier than with modern games. For instance, something I didn't like in the new SW was in one of the levels that featured a bamboo forest and you had to find your way through it. I though a weapon as powerful as the Nobitsura Kage (or whatever it's called) should make short work of bamboo, and I could just cut my way through it like a knife through butter, so I was disappointed when I couldn't. While making a "transparent"\ forest wall would make sense in the Build-engine game, it's a rather stupid decision for a modern game, though I understand that there are still limitations. Same for screen walls and the likes, though technically you can't cut through those in the original either, so it's a moot point.
3) The one-liners are indeed worse in the new one, but some of the good ones could be taken. Problem is the voice-over and maybe Build-engine's limitations? (I don't know how many one-liners can be assigned to the protagonist)
4) Enemies. This is where it should shine, I think. The new SW features many new enemies, some act like the Imps from Doom (I think? I don't remember), others act in new ways, so recreating them should be interesting.

A gameplay like in Ion Fury - faux-endless levels - would work well for this and be in line with the original SW (2013)'s design. But yeah, the engine's limitations are definitely a problem. Maybe if the mod was on IF's version of Build? Ah, but that would already be too much trouble.

Any way I could stick this message to my original so if new people want to comment, they could read the 'details'?

This post has been edited by the_raven: 29 April 2020 - 12:46 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View Postthe_raven, on 29 April 2020 - 12:39 AM, said:

1) Swordfights already feature gibbing, so I don't think adding anything to them would be necessary (I personally hated that you had to learn sword combos and things like that in the new SW, so annoying!). Guns might be expanded, for instance SW2 has double-wielding for most weapons (at least, from what I've seen from gameplay videos), and while I think it's rather silly, it might add to the gameplay - two katanas, anyone? Then again, why bother with two katanas when one is already lethal enough? Other than for fancy graphics maybe, it's a waste of processing memory. Though implementing something like dual-katanas would mean nerfing the original one in half when wielding two, or something like that.

Only submachineguns can be dual-wielded. The dual katanas are its own weapon, you can't just dual-wield any katana. Functionally, it's mostly identical to the regular sword, just a different animation.

As for the rest, the new SWs really don't give you that much to work with. The amount of work that would go into redesigning and reimplementing levels and enemies would be better spent making new content. It would probably be quicker too, since you wouldn't be constrained by those designs.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options