Duke4.net Forums: Map building by code - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Map building by code

for yucks I just tried to generate some randomized levels of varying size wih Obhack for DOOM/DOOM2/etc and convert the wads to map files with DMDKCONV wih zero success whatsoever; ymmv

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Dukebot, on 06 April 2020 - 06:47 AM, said:

Yes I found that page when I googled and I even downloaded the editor to give it a try. I found it very counter intuitive and did not understand how to do anything with that editor. Anyway I navigated throught the menus searching for some option to generate terrain but did not find it.

So this is the tool you were talking about and it's supposed to be able to do the terrain generation that I mentioned? I was not meaning that this should substitude mapster32 for editing the level, I am only interested on the terrain generatyion part.

Yes it's very different from mapster and so very difficult to work with since you have to go against years of muscle memory and also relearn a large number of operations.

It's been many years since I've used it, so I can't give you much more guidance than I have already. IIRC there's separate menus you can access for sectors, sprites and walls, and in the sector menu there's a range of geometries you can generate such as spheres, domes and tunnels, plus some random terrain. Since it's only a flat plane with some randomness and uses a LOT of walls, I'm not sure how practical it is.

User is offline   Dukebot 

So, back to what was said earlier, the m32 scripting language. It's hard to learn? Does it require CON knowledge to use it? I am familiar with object oriented programming languages, if this kind of language do not require a lot of time to learn, maybe I give it a try and try to script some utilities to accelerate the construction of the map I am doing.

User is offline   Kyanos 

comorbidity, on 06 April 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

for yucks I just tried to generate some randomized levels of varying size wih Obhack for DOOM/DOOM2/etc and convert the wads to map files with DMDKCONV wih zero success whatsoever; ymmv

I used wad2map http://dukeworld.duk.../eduke32/tools/

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options