Duke4.net Forums: Opinions on WT? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opinions on WT?

I personally think WT is an absolute shit port, and am glad to have Megaton. What's your opinion on WT?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

It is sh!t. Megaton is in the same tier, but yeah it's a little better.

View PostRADAЯ, on 29 March 2020 - 07:39 PM, said:

It is sh!t. Megaton is in the same tier, but yeah it's a little better.

Wtf Megaton is way better compared to WT.

I wish i had bought Megaton, i'm stuck with WT ;)

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 29 March 2020 - 08:17 PM

View PostLazy Dog, on 29 March 2020 - 08:02 PM, said:

I wish i had bought Megaton, i'm stuck with WT ;)

I managed to buy a steam key for it for about $30 from a third party website a few years ago. There are still some keys here and there but they are expensive af. Although you might be able to download it from a website.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Good news is that EDuke32 finally seems to make some real progress regarding WT support:

---------------------------------------------------------------- --------
r8790 | hendricks266 | 2020-03-29 01:41:21 -0700 (Sun, 29 Mar 2020) | 1 line

Implement WT episode 5 ending
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r8789 | hendricks266 | 2020-03-29 01:41:17 -0700 (Sun, 29 Mar 2020) | 1 line

Implement WT's widescreen tiles
r8788 | hendricks266 | 2020-03-29 01:41:12 -0700 (Sun, 29 Mar 2020) | 7 lines

Implement hardcoded WT stuff

Includes the new weapon, enemy projectiles, and breakable objects.

Patch from Nuke.YKT.

I edited it some, mostly to add the proper "if (WORLDTOUR)" checks.
r8787 | hendricks266 | 2020-03-29 01:41:07 -0700 (Sun, 29 Mar 2020) | 1 line

Fix negative viewtypes to match what World Tour expects

We may be able to stop using the (incomplete) stopgap solution soon after all...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 March 2020 - 11:23 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostWill_Destroy, on 29 March 2020 - 07:54 PM, said:

Wtf Megaton is way better compared to WT.

Megaton has more content than WT.

As a port though, Megaton has the old Polymost renderer with warped skies when looking up and hall of mirrors effect when looking down while shrunk. WT has the classic renderer (albeit with a resolution cap of 720p or so) and a new renderer with skyboxes and dynamic lights.

View PostPhredreeke, on 30 March 2020 - 01:10 AM, said:

Megaton has more content than WT.

As a port though, Megaton has the old Polymost renderer with warped skies when looking up and hall of mirrors effect when looking down while shrunk. WT has the classic renderer (albeit with a resolution cap of 720p or so) and a new renderer with skyboxes and dynamic lights.

Megaton is actually playable compared to WT.

View PostWill_Destroy, on 30 March 2020 - 12:53 PM, said:

Megaton is actually playable compared to WT.

Yeah, true 3d is unplayable for me and i had at least one big fps drop on software, the area just before the Battlelord bossfight was running at 20 fps max.

How does Megaton compares to Shadow Warrior Classic Redux on the performance side? that ran perfectly fine for me.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 30 March 2020 - 01:10 PM

View PostLazy Dog, on 30 March 2020 - 01:04 PM, said:

Yeah, true 3d is unplayable for me and i had at least one big fps drop on software, the area just before the Battlelord bossfight was running at 20 fps max.

How does Megaton compares to Shadow Warrior Classic Redux on the performance side? that ran perfectly fine for me.

They're pretty much the same, cause I think they both run on the same/similar engine.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

The XBLA version was much better than both. I'm pretty sure that came out separately from the other ports while 3DR's held the rights. They should've made the new console ports more like that.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 01 April 2020 - 01:38 PM

I do wish WT had been done completely in Classic style as a commercial addon like SIGIL and DeathKings, with a .zip file as a high-res addon for those who wanted it. The impression I get is that WT is nothing more than a cheap cash grab that existing users will feel we can't do without. I am very grateful to Hendricks266 and the gang for the StopGap and modifications to EDuke32 that allow us to play it with something sensible. Yes, that sounds absurd, but really, I would have preferred any high-res/high-def content to be reserved for another game and not integrated into Duke 3D.

There's not much high-res about world tour anyway. As for the XBLA version being better - how? It (to my knowledge) lacks the expansions just like WT, while not having the extra bells and whistles of that version.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Why is the XBLA version of Duke Nukem 3D better than ANY of the WT ports?

-It runs much better and more closely to the original game than WT.
-It doesn't have a stupid "HD filter" or whatever the fuck that was in WT that you toggle on/off.
-It doesn't have lackluster sound effects and music quality like WT.
-It doesn't have a delay when switching weapons like WT does.
-It controls much better than WT does.
-It had better online play than WT does because of all of the above, especially when it came to being able to switch weapons during combat.
-It recorded all of your gameplay into clips that allowed you to enter the action, while WT did not.
-It didn't add poorly rerecorded Duke lines that were enabled by default. Don't try to defend those recordings, they were all garbage and he even fucked up one of the lines from episode one and they never bothered fixing it.

Sure, it doesn't have the expansions, but the expansions aren't more important than gameplay I would say. I think the base game playing properly is way more important than expansion pack support. The only thing they really have in common is they are ports of the same game and both have the rewind feature. Otherwise, WT is an inferior port over the XBLA version in every imaginable way possible.

Oh and before it gets mentioned... The Megaton port on PS3 was a POS, as it crashed constantly, and I do mean constantly, but hey it had the expansions you were hoping for at least, right?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

In the XBLA version, the bars on the side ruin the entire port for me.

Though I do think the XBLA version had one of the best communities. I got to know a lot of folks from there as they migrated to PC multiplayer platforms, and I still talk to some folks weekly even if they don't play Duke anymore.

I forgot the sound issue went unpatched on consoles, I've only played WT on PC. I agree the weapon switching sucks though

User is offline   Fauch 

I have performances issues with WT, especially in 3D mode, which is annoying since it's the first time I see DN3D in real 3D so I want to experience it this way. especially since it fixes problems with vertical perspective.
Sometimes it even freezes for few seconds. Granted, my PC is pretty shitty, but over 10 years ago, I think I had megaton edition, I could speedrun on a low end PC, but now with those perfs it would probably be really frustrating.
Also is the pirate ship room in babe land notorious for poor optimization? fps were in the single digits (or more likely, decimals). I still beat it though.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The port feels rushed and sleezy. A cash grab.

i uninstalled it, and will never reinstall it again. The only thing worth a damn are Lee Jackson's new songs.

The only reason i keep it installed is so EDuke can read the .grp without doing any copy/paste.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 02 April 2020 - 04:21 PM

Another thing I find disturbing is the implementation. A big folder of loose files, rather than a .ZIP file. The MIDI musics are exact duplicates of those in Duke3D 1.5; in fact the WT group file differs from 1.5 only in four tile files. So why have the MIDI musics in the first place, especially since the .ogg musics are meant to be used instead; if MIDIs are to be used (for the first four episodes) why not simply load them from the .GRP file?

However, the biggest mystery is the maps of episodes 1-4. They are not identical byte-for byte but I can't imagine they have changed from a player's POV. I have no experience in mapping for DN3D, so has anyone examined them and found out why they are different? I'm guessing sprites for developer commentaries, or something like that; if not, why change the ep. 1-4 maps at all?

This post has been edited by Martin Howe: 03 April 2020 - 02:25 PM

The Abyss was modified to include an exit to Faces of Death (the exit was always there but it was unreachable without noclip) , and Faces of Death got a Exit button. Those are the only change i can think, other than the commentary nodes. Oh, and E1L8 got an incinerator and ammo added to it.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 03 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

The levels were edited to put in the lights for the new renderer I believe. Some levels had some texture edits too like a floor in Fahrenheit.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostLunick, on 03 April 2020 - 09:13 PM, said:

The levels were edited to put in the lights for the new renderer I believe. Some levels had some texture edits too like a floor in Fahrenheit.

There are also various small edits to maps, such as (sector) lighting or texture changes. Some rooms with light switches now start in the lit state rather than dark. I noticed a bunch of them playing through the original episodes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options