Duke4.net Forums: Having an issue with touchplates - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Having an issue with touchplates

So, now I'm having an issue with touchplates. So, The way I want it is that Duke gets woken up out of his bed by explosions going off outside. I set a touchplate on the floor around the bed and a building out the window that will blow up and fall down. I got THAT working ok, but in the next room, I want him to walk in and the wall blow up, like they are bombing his apartment. Like I said, first one works properly, but the second one doesn't. I did have another masterswitch tagged as 0,18. The first building was #17, and the wall would be #18.
[
10:18 PM
]
Heres the screenshots of the first setup...
Posted Image
Looking out the window and where the building should be standing (which it does)
]Posted Image
Looking at how you start the level. Also, how to I adjust for the gap in the wallpaper?

] Posted Image
Looks like the bedroom. The masterswitch is down by the building
Posted Image
The building itself. I will break it up into other sectors to make it look more organic

Posted Image
Looking at the second explosion event from hovering outside in the street. Once again, I need to know how to line up the wallpaper

Posted Image
Viewpoint from inside the living room at what should be the second event. When I play the game, the wall is closed up, but all the lights and stuff are broken so I think its getting detonated from the first event, somehow

Posted Image
overview of the living room

Posted Image
overview of the break in the wall

I couldn't get the first event to work without a masterswitch and maybe that is setting off the C9 for the second event but not kicking off the SEs? I don't know.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

A masterswitch should be present in at least one of the SEENINE sectors.

I think SE13 also had a hardcoded feature to iniate DETONATE on any SEENINE sprites present in it's sector, masterswitch on the other hand is a more proper way to do this, but Todd built in few rather undocumented shortcuts like this.

Once the first sprite in the SEENINE sequence has been triggered, rest should explode just fine without any additional D sprites.

As for the wallpaper, you can "steal" the properties of the wall's other side (definition of a wall is a paper thin line) by pressing 2 on a wall. In this case it doesn't matter since the other side would be inside the geometry and you never see it. Simply point at the bottom part and press 2.

Ok. So just point to the bottom part and press 2, got it.

The "all the c9s in the vicinity goimg off" makes sense.

The second hole doesnt form but all the c9s blow up with the first.

I just got rid of the second event.

User is offline   ck3D 

Re: gap in the wallpaper/texture alignment. There are two types of alignment orientation possible for wall textures, top alignment where the display of the texture stems from the top of the wall and bottom alignment when it stems from the bottom. You can switch between both types back and forth by pressing 'O' on the desired wall in 3D mode.

The number one thing to keep in mind is, textures won't align in a way that looks aesthetically right by using the auto-align key in 3D mode if two adjacent walls sharing the texture have different orientations set (or if the texture has been flipped using F in 3D mode, etc), because then the numeric values associated with the image's position will correspond to different results. To fix, just try pressing O on the problematic wall, then using the auto-align key on the previous one again. If this doesn't work, then maybe that previous wall also has the wrong orientation, or some of the textures have been flipped with F, etc. in which case I'd say just try hitting tab on said previous wall to directly copy its properties, then hit enter on the problematic wall to paste (should neutralize all the differences in orientation and texture flippage), then depending on the results you're getting, try auto-aligning the textures again starting from the previous wall, pressing O again on the problematic wall if things still don't look just right.

Alternatively, you can also pan textures manually (an incredibly useful feature) by (off the top of my head, I usually just rely on muscle memory while mapping) holding RAlt + the mouse button clicking and dragging over specific walls in 3D mode (if it's not RAlt then it's one of those keys).

The general rule of thumb is that walls the textures of which are supposed to be aligned with each other should ideally have the same orientation, to make it easier to use the auto-align key as an instant fix for such detail if ever needed - one key press and it's gone, whereas having to fix lots of walls manually because you never considered their orientation in the first place can be a pain in the neck. The 'issue' will most likely present itself on every similar 'hole in the wall'/window type of construction you'll build (situations were both an upper and lower section of one wall are visible, those will align all weird by default with the default orientation settings until you press O on them), or if you ever build Doom-type doors you'll have to also 'fix' the orientation of the textures of the side walls within the door sector if you don't want them to scroll up and down as the door opens and closes.

The '2' method explained above essentially allows you to define different textures (with different alignments only to an extent) for the visible upper and lower segments of such 'holes in the wall', but it's also a pretty tricky one to use if you're new to the game/engine as what it does is it essentially adds a 'masked wall' element to your existing wall, which you'll most likely be able to control and fine-tune on the spot using the texture panning key/mouse combo, but their properties will start spontaneously transferring over to the next adjacent walls/rooms you'll build if you're not careful, which usually results in, later, not understanding why some textures just won't align right until you realize there's a useless, invisible masked wall attached to every wall of the room you're trying to fix. If that ever happens, pressing 2 again on one of those walls restores it back to the default, normal properties. Given that it's one level of understanding beyond just checking the walls' orientation and can potentially get out of hand if one lets it, I'd be tempted to encourage you to stick to pressing O then try re-aligning this type of weird walls, should work when it comes to fixing the looks without risking affecting the rest of your map with invisible values and textures you wouldn't not even aware of (for they wouldn't even really be visible until you mess around with floor and ceiling height).

Also for touchplates, make sure to give them a hi-tag of 1 if you want one-time activation (shouldn't matter with explosions, but it's a good habit to get) and orientate them upside down in 2D mode if you want them to trigger as soon as the player enters the sector regardless of whether or not they're touching the floor (I also slightly raise those off the ground in 3D mode, I use an old version of Mapster/eDuke though so maybe those particular techs are a bit outdated).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 01 March 2020 - 03:08 AM

View Postck3D, on 01 March 2020 - 03:04 AM, said:

Re: gap in the wallpaper/texture alignment. There are two types of alignment orientation possible for wall textures, top alignment where the display of the texture stems from the top of the wall and bottom alignment when it stems from the bottom. You can switch between both types back and forth by pressing 'O' on the desired wall in 3D mode.

The number one thing to keep in mind is, textures won't align in a way that looks aesthetically right by using the auto-align key in 3D mode if two adjacent walls sharing the texture have different orientations set (or if the texture has been flipped using F in 3D mode, etc), because then the numeric values associated with the image's position will correspond to different results. To fix, just try pressing O on the problematic wall, then using the auto-align key on the previous one again. If this doesn't work, then maybe that previous wall also has the wrong orientation, or some of the textures have been flipped with F, etc. in which case I'd say just try hitting tab on said previous wall to directly copy its properties, then hit enter on the problematic wall to paste (should neutralize all the differences in orientation and texture flippage), then depending on the results you're getting, try auto-aligning the textures again starting from the previous wall, pressing O again on the problematic wall if things still don't look just right.

Alternatively, you can also pan textures manually (an incredibly useful feature) by (off the top of my head, I usually just rely on muscle memory while mapping) holding RAlt + the mouse button clicking and dragging over specific walls in 3D mode (if it's not RAlt then it's one of those keys).

The general rule of thumb is that walls the textures of which are supposed to be aligned with each other should ideally have the same orientation, to make it easier to use the auto-align key as an instant fix for such detail if ever needed - one key press and it's gone, whereas having to fix lots of walls manually because you never considered their orientation in the first place can be a pain in the neck. The 'issue' will most likely present itself on every similar 'hole in the wall'/window type of construction you'll build (situations were both an upper and lower section of one wall are visible, those will align all weird by default with the default orientation settings until you press O on them), or if you ever build Doom-type doors you'll have to also 'fix' the orientation of the textures of the side walls within the door sector if you don't want them to scroll up and down as the door opens and closes.

The '2' method explained above essentially allows you to define different textures (with different alignments only to an extent) for the visible upper and lower segments of such 'holes in the wall', but it's also a pretty tricky one to use if you're new to the game/engine as what it does is it essentially adds a 'masked wall' element to your existing wall, which you'll most likely be able to control and fine-tune on the spot using the texture panning key/mouse combo, but their properties will start spontaneously transferring over to the next adjacent walls/rooms you'll build if you're not careful, which usually results in, later, not understanding why some textures just won't align right until you realize there's a useless, invisible masked wall attached to every wall of the room you're trying to fix. If that ever happens, pressing 2 again on one of those walls restores it back to the default, normal properties. Given that it's one level of understanding beyond just checking the walls' orientation and can potentially get out of hand if one lets it, I'd be tempted to encourage you to stick to pressing O then try re-aligning this type of weird walls, should work when it comes to fixing the looks without risking affecting the rest of your map with invisible values and textures you wouldn't not even aware of (for they wouldn't even really be visible until you mess around with floor and ceiling height).

Also for touchplates, make sure to give them a hi-tag of 1 if you want one-time activation (shouldn't matter with explosions, but it's a good habit to get) and orientate them upside down in 2D mode if you want them to trigger as soon as the player enters the sector regardless of whether or not they're touching the floor (I also slightly raise those off the ground in 3D mode, I use an old version of Mapster/eDuke though so maybe those particular techs are a bit outdated).

Thanks. That did the trick as far as lining up wallpapers.

As far as the explosive events, I just got rid of the second one.

Whats a good, slow speed for a builing coming down? Like what number would I set the Gspeed at?

User is offline   ck3D 

Honestly that depends on the scale of your map (height of the sky etc.), small buildings collapsing super quickly tend to look off because then there's too little on show for a credible building demolition, tall buildings collapsing slowly can work super well and be more flexible (you can even divide them into subsections to make it look like certain parts are collapsing faster than others, have buildings swim and sink into liquids with super slow values, etc.) but those epic sights can also slow down the pace of the action in your map, it kind of depends on how cinematic or arcade-ish you want the scene to look.

When in doubt, I probably just open E1L2.map and use the value of that building as a reference for mine, then I'll adjust it accordingly after a play testing session. Adjusting the speed and the timing and location of C9's can feel boring and tedious for small in-game events at times but in general the grander the scene you're working on is, the more fun the process gets because it's more exciting to see something on the epic side come together (as opposed to just implementing the effect a basic way), try it and you might be surprised yourself.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 March 2020 - 02:40 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

SEENINE and masterswitch inherently trigger only once.
delay is in ticks where 30 ticks ~1 second.

The second explosion didn't work because the lack of a linked masterswitch in the SAME sector as a SEENINE.

Ok. So if I put another masterswitch in the same sector as the C9 for the second event, thatll keep both going off at the same time?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options