Duke4.net Forums: Original DOS resolution and borderless HUD - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Original DOS resolution and borderless HUD  "A little help needed"

User is offline   Morgаn 

1. Can I somehow set eduke32 to display original DOS 320x200 resolution in software mode, while maintain native desktop resolution?
2. There's a classic HUD mode when I can shrink it with % scale. I like classic HUD with overall ammo counter, but it also covers weapon sprites in borderless mode. Another mode can shrink HUD without weapons cut-off, but it has a border with slime tile that cuts off lower part of screen like classic HUD. Can I manually set borderless classic HUD, 50% scale, but move it to left part of the screen position, away from weapon sprite?

This post has been edited by Morgаn: 29 February 2020 - 07:21 AM

1. I haven't check EDuke32, but the Rednukem variant has an upscaling option. Setting upscaling to 4x makes it resemble 320x200 while maintaining your native resolution. Rednukem is closer to vanilla and thus is also demo compatible. However, it retains the clipping issues that EDuke32 has fixed.

2. There is a widescreen HUD in NightFright's fixes for Duke Nukem 3D that is compatible with Eduke32. This would allow you to use the full status bar that correctly shows the weapon sprites without the slime tile. I was even able to make it work for Rednukem, but that required a bit of manual tweaking.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 29 February 2020 - 08:06 PM

User is offline   Morgаn 

1. Yeah, eduke32 has upscaling option too, I also tried custom value with console, but it's not even close to native 320x200 and has huge per-pixel and overall distortion issue.

2. Tried this fix too, but there's still only full HUD fixed (which is cool, I'm using this option), but it still cuts off a lower part of the screen unlike borderless HUD mode, but it's unmovable from center.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

"Upscaling" simply turns on the "low quality" option that was available in the original DOS version. It's not at all meant to emulate DOS resolutions. It basically just cuts the resolution in half.

You can try manually setting the resolution to 320 x 200 in the config file. Then enable "maintain aspect ratio" in your graphics card properties.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostRADAЯ, on 04 March 2020 - 05:17 PM, said:

You can try manually setting the resolution to 320 x 200 in the config file. Then enable "maintain aspect ratio" in your graphics card properties.

The problem is that the game seems to interpret 320x200 (or 640x480) as a widescreen resolution (even if the widescreen option is unchecked), resulting in the HUD and weapons being drawn squished (with severe distortions from scaling) rather than being drawn at 1:1 scale.

See screenshot (and consider that it gets stretched to a 4:3 image).

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0213.png

This post has been edited by necroslut: 20 April 2020 - 01:12 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

r_rotatespritenowidescreen

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostRADAЯ, on 20 April 2020 - 12:18 PM, said:

r_rotatespritenowidescreen

That did it, thanks! Is it possible to run Polymost in 320x200 though, or just software? I mean, I can get it to display windowed, but not in fullscreen...

This post has been edited by necroslut: 20 April 2020 - 12:57 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options